Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDip or Masters in Mathematics??

Options
  • 07-08-2014 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I am undecided and unsure between applying for the Higher Diploma in Mathematics in NUI Galway or going straight into the taught masters in mathematics that they have to offer? I have a joint basic degree in mathematics and want to do the masters but am not sure if I will be able for it? I honestly cannot afford to do one and then the other as both cost 6,000 euro! But if I have to do both, I will!

I do have a first in mathematics but its probably not to the same standard as those who did mathematical science/pure maths for an undergrad or something similar.

Should I jump right into the masters or not??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Personally, I would say yes, jump into the masters if you can.

I am of the opinion that you should always aim for the highest possible qualification.

As for your ability, if you have a first in maths, you should have no problem with the masters. Don't doubt yourself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sneakysnake007

Thank you so much for your kind advice. I went ahead and applied for the Masters programme. Let's hope they let me in now! :)

Advertisement