Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold War II

Options
  • 07-08-2014 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Can you feel it in the Air?

More sanctions, Nato, Troops on Border. US , Europe , AUS and Norway mentioned

Its getting Chilly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yesh

It sheems unlikely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

A bit mild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Could this be the reason everyone is lighting the fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Mr_Red wrote: »

More sanctions, Nato, Troops on Border. US , Europe , AUS and Norway mentioned

Its getting Chilly
    Pen O'Shea back in charge in Santiago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Reds under the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It's reverse cold wars.

In mother Russia, we boycott you.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

The Mild War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Mr_Red wrote: »

You've just put a Phil Collins song in my head.

Is there no low to which you will sink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Could this be the reason everyone is lighting the fire?

We didn't start the fire.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I might wait for it on Blu Ray.

Extras: Include a hilarious deleted scenes were some USA serviceman are locked out of their missile silo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

I've been waiting for this moment for all my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Every man experiences the cold war when he comes home from the pub later than he said he would

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Downloading it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Phoenix wrote: »
    You forgot Canada:mad:

eh yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think the russian people would take being cut off from the rest of the world again. Most of the people who lived under Russian rule in eastern Europe remember what it was like seeing the west for the first time. The Russians that suffered under the same oppression would have to be delusional to think it would be a good thing to cut themselves off from the world like that again.

A war like that can't be won, everybody knows that, the cold war isn't a distant memory. Russia would have to have complete mentalers in charge to think they could convince their people to go through that kind of hardship again so soon. I think Russia's just chancing it's arm with a world that's war weary and will back off with some spoils not concerned with the long term damage they've done to their reputation.

Reminds me of a line from BSG: "War, it's humanity's only true art form"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

There is no second Supper power to have a second cold war with.

The first Cold War didn't really end. In return for adopting capitalistic ways the former Soviet Union was assured that NATO wouldn't move any closer to Russian borders.

Russia has watched NATO creep inexorably towards its borders and it's getting jumpy about it.

"Who rules East Europe commands the Heartland;
    who rules the Heartland commands the World-Island;
    who rules the World-Island controls the world."
    (Mackinder, Democratic Ideals and Reality, p. 194)

Russia makes up the majority of 'The World Island'.
    There is no second Supper power to have a second cold war with.

Nothing worse than cold supper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Karl Stein wrote: »
    The first Cold War didn't really end. In return for adopting capitalistic ways the former Soviet Union collapsed was assured that NATO wouldn't move any closer to Russian borders.

Russia has watched NATO creep inexorably towards its borders and it's getting jumpy about it.

"Who rules East Europe commands the Heartland;
    who rules the Heartland commands the World-Island;
    who rules the World-Island controls the world."
    (Mackinder, Democratic Ideals and Reality, p. 194)

Russia makes up the majority of 'The World Island'.

Nothing worse than cold supper.

True but they are not a supper power anymore. They are in no Position to wage a cold war with NATO, Sanctions are going to start to sting fairly soon. And if the EU said screw it no trade at all, that would pretty much cripple the Russian economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

How come peoples think Russia started this?

So far we had a US supported coup in Kiev, a right wing govt installed, a plebiscite from Eastern Ukraine democratically choosing to return to the homeland, massive bombardment of civilian populations in said East by Ukrainian forces and many many casualties, US jumping up and down blaming Russia for downing a plane, and then zero proof, followed by a barrage of sanctions agin Russia. Not saying Russia has been whiter than snow, but yikes, surely neither have ''our lads''. Remember Nuland and her ''**** the EU''.

And now Russia says Alright lads, if ye want to freeze us out, we won't be having yer easi-singles or lamb chops... I'm surprised they are that restrained and did not say we are going to freeze yer asses off. Literally.

I don't see how Russia started anything. I am still waiting on proof about the plane and ....whoooosh...there goes a tumbleweed. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

This thread was started by "Mr Red"

That made me smile

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

All this talk of supper powers is hunger inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Karl Stein wrote: »
    The first Cold War didn't really end. In return for adopting capitalistic ways the former Soviet Union was assured that NATO wouldn't move any closer to Russian borders.
    The Ukraine is an independant country, as are the rest of the countries in eastern Europe. If they decide to join Europe or NATO it's their own business and Russia can go and swivel as far as I'm concerned. I've travelled to many counties in eastern Europe and the overriding concern of many of the locals is Russia trying to bully it's way into their countries. They have fears of Russian citizens moving into the country and Russia then declaring that there's so many Russians in the country they have to move in and protect them. I heard that nearly a decade ago and now we can see it's actually happening.

True but they are not a supper power anymore. They are in no Position to wage a cold war with NATO,

They never were.
    "The West exaggerated the strength of the Soviet Union. We could not possibly have moved into Europe. We were a devastated country. We'd lost millions of people."

Mikhail Gorbachev
    Sanctions are going to start to sting fairly soon.

Will they though? The most of the rest of the world will continue to do business with Russia.
    And if the EU said screw it no trade at all, that would pretty much cripple the Russian economy.

And severely damage the EU economy causing recession and unrest.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    The Ukraine is an independant country, as are the rest of the countries in eastern Europe. If they decide to join Europe or NATO it's their own business and Russia can go and swivel as far as I'm concerned.

Independent but not neutral after joining NATO. The Russians see NATO as a threat. That's how it is. It's not my fault so stop shouting at me.

Advertisement