Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency tax with 2 jobs

Options
  • 07-08-2014 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,
    I work part time (2 days a week) in a bar, and have just gotten work for 3 days a week in another company. Can anyone tell me if I will be taxed more for having 2 jobs? I haven’t been talking to anyone about the details of the new role yet, but I have a feeling I will be emergency taxed for the 2nd job.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bundasbar

Your allowed to have 2 jobs and not have the ass taxed of ya. It depends how many hours your working with both jobs? Standard being 39hrs. However your personal tax credit comes into to play i.e single/married, kids etc If you are getting minimum wage or a little above for both jobs ,single and working approx 40hrs a week you would only pay about 35e for all tax related pay. Its only when you work a lot of hours+earn a lot more per hr for one job that you will hit the high tax rate. On your P60 it will show your tax band and personal tax credit.If you earn less or same as that you are taxed the 20%,any money earn after that threshold is taxed at higher rate 41%. You only get emergency taxed,depending on how slow you personally get moving. Ask your current employer for copy of your P45,cause it will be then been filled out appropriately by his accountant (standard procedure),it has to be current one so they can see what tax you are paying now. Pass on to new employer straightaway. You will only start paying emergency tax after 4 weeks. 5th+6th week=20%,7th+8th week 40% and so on+then sits at 80%. they legally cant take anything more. Hope this helps. Congrats on new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Bundasbar wrote: »
    Your allowed to have 2 jobs and not have the ass taxed of ya. It depends how many hours your working with both jobs? Standard being 39hrs. However your personal tax credit comes into to play i.e single/married, kids etc If you are getting minimum wage or a little above for both jobs ,single and working approx 40hrs a week you would only pay about 35e for all tax related pay. Its only when you work a lot of hours+earn a lot more per hr for one job that you will hit the high tax rate. On your P60 it will show your tax band and personal tax credit.If you earn less or same as that you are taxed the 20%,any money earn after that threshold is taxed at higher rate 41%. You only get emergency taxed,depending on how slow you personally get moving. Ask your current employer for copy of your P45,cause it will be then been filled out appropriately by his accountant (standard procedure),it has to be current one so they can see what tax you are paying now. Pass on to new employer straightaway. You will only start paying emergency tax after 4 weeks. 5th+6th week=20%,7th+8th week 40% and so on+then sits at 80%. they legally cant take anything more. Hope this helps. Congrats on new job.

She won't be getting a P45, as she will still be working in the first job, along with the second one, and you're wrong about Emergency Tax too. On weeks 1-4 you only get the benefit of the single person's credit, you don't get the PAYE credit, and you get the standard rate cut off for a single person. Weeks 5-8 you still get the standard rate cut off, and you don't get any tax credit. From weeks 9 onwards, you're paying 41% on your entire salary, and no no credit. It never goes to 80% :confused:

OP you can split your credits and standard rate cut-off between both jobs to avoid being taxed at the higher rate. Your best bet is to ring Revenue, and have the following information to hand:

1. Your PPS number
    2. The employer registration number for both your employers
    3. Your estimated annual salary for both jobs

They will be able to advise you on what is the best way to split your tax credits for the rest of the year.

Put your PPS number in here https://www.ros.ie/wiclo/index?lang=en to find out the number of your local PAYE helpline.

Advertisement