Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice to reassign

Options
  • 07-08-2014 3:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I spoke with threshold today. Their advice was to request a postal address for notice to reassign to be served by registered post. No response forthcoming from landlady

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

NipNip wrote: »
    Hi
    I spoke with threshold today. Their advice was to request a postal address for notice to reassign to be served by registered post. No response forthcoming from landlady

Can I ask what your post is trying to achieve? It looks like a status update from Facebook or Twitter, not an opening post for a discussion site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Hi
    Not quite sure what you understood from Threshold!!

I order to assign part of a lease, you must first request permission from the LL (this is preferable in writing from the LL). It is probably best to try to discuss this with the LL first.

When you have permission, you then find a suitable replacement for yourself, at your expense, who will take over the remainder of the lease, releasing you from all its conditions, responsibilities and obligations.

The LL is entitled to vet the proposed replacement tenant/s according to his/her referencing criteria and may decline the proposed replacement in which case you will have to find another.

If the LL refuses permission you are lucky, as you will then be entitled to leave with 28 days written notice and keep your deposit except for damages in excess of normal wear and tear.

I don't see any need for a registered letter.

To legally complete an assignment, a Deed of Assignment should be completed and the deed signed by all parties concerned: you (as the tenant leaving), the replacement tenant, the landlord and if any, the other tenants in the house or apartment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

Notice to reassign requiring proof of receipt

Notice to reassign requiring proof of receipt

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think she means she sent it registered which requires the landlord to sign for the notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Giblet wrote: »
    I think she means she sent it registered which requires the landlord to sign for the notice.

We have been advised by PRTB that swift post is preferable to registered since unlike registered it does not need to be signed for (An Post attempt to deliver twice but if no one signs letter is returned) but you do get proof of delivery to the address. Came up in an adjudication where tenant had simply refused to sign for any registered post and claimed ignorance of all notices.

Giblet wrote: »

She didn't send anything as in her first post she notes she doesn't have an address for the landlady.

OP, unless you start constructing full sentences and paragraphs here with a tangible topic for discussion I'll be closing your thread.

She didn't send anything as in her first post she notes she doesn't have an address for the landlady.

OP, unless you start constructing full sentences and paragraphs here with a tangible topic for discussion I'll be closing your thread.

I was advised to send a notice to reassign by registered post. I do not have a postal address for the landlord. I therefore requested a postal address by email. I have not still received a reply to said email.

Have I complied now with your terms?

Have I complied now with your terms?

Not really - as per my first warning your OP was like a status update, this is a discussion site. What is the point of your thread?

• Advertisement

It is impossible to serve a notice to reassign or to have any other legal correspondence when you don't have one

It is impossible to serve a notice to reassign or to have any other legal correspondence when you don't have one

I'm aware of that, but any standard lease is supposed to have the contact details of your landlord or their agent. I'm still not seeing the point of this.

I'm aware of that, but any standard lease is supposed to have the contact details of your landlord or their agent. I'm still not seeing the point of this.

My lease does not have the contact details of either

Have you gotten the point yet?

And if you have never had a lease agreement in writing, the LL is obliged to provide a Rent Book which must include the LL's address (or his agent's).

What is a notice to reassign?
    It is the landlord who organizes a Deed of Assignment.

Do you mean permission to reassign from the landlord? As I said in my first post, a tenant only has to seek permission (in writing) from the landlord.There is no "notice". The tenant contacts the LL and requests, in writing, permission to assign. This contact may be my email and the response by the LL may be by email.

If you only have the LL's email address, request permission to an assignment, by email. Request, also, that you have a reply within 7 days of your email.

I will spell it out. What sort of dodgy landlord leaves you with no address to contact them?

odds_on wrote: »
    And if you have never had a lease agreement in writing, the LL is obliged to provide a Rent Book which must include the LL's address (or his agent's).

Do you mean permission to reassign from the landlord? As I said in my first post, a tenant only has to seek permission (in writing) from the landlord.There is no "notice". The tenant contacts the LL and requests, in writing, permission to assign. This contact may be my email and the response by the LL may be by email.

If you only have the LL's email address, request permission to an assignment, by email. Request, also, that you have a reply within 7 days of your email.
    He has THIS address filled in as his address

Contact the PRTB. They may provide you with the landlord's address which is supposed to be in a lease contract or Rent Book. If the landlord has not registered the tenancy, I'm sure they will be very interested in the landlord.

They have stopped replying to any emails or contact by any means

He has THIS address filled in as his address
    What? Boards.ie?

• Advertisement

Contact the PRTB. They may provide you with the landlord's address which is supposed to be in a lease contract or Rent Book. If the landlord has not registered the tenancy, I'm sure they will be very interested in the landlord.

I've looked it up and it is not registered

They have stopped replying to any emails or contact by any means

I thought the landlord had already given you the answer on reassignment - you said they declined the suggestion on the other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There is nothing anyone on here can do to help you. Threshold and the PRTB are your two ports of call.

I still don't see why you don't take in a lodger. Getting a licensee is not subletting but hey, you got advice in that thread and have decided to try to reassign. Good luck with that.

Yup I'm agreeing with athtrasna here, there is nothing anyone here can do for you (combined with the fact that you ignored all the advice given to you in the other thread that was locked)
    You're liable for all the rent on the property as you are the sole tenant on the lease, doesn't matter how many names are on it, you're the only one left.

If you reassign the lease it leads to the assumption that you're leaving the property and there is a lot of legal documents to be dealt with in that situation.
    The lease forbids subletting so that is out of the equation.

I thought the landlord had already given you the answer on reassignment - you said they declined the suggestion on the other thread.

Not sure where you got that notion from? Landlord confirmed verbally to me ( ie roared at me) that I was not allowed to sublet. Is that what you're referring to?

Not sure where you got that notion from? Landlord confirmed verbally to me ( ie roared at me) that I was not allowed to sublet. Is that what you're referring to?

Your post here

Your post here

So what is your point?

So what is your point?

This is my point

...and on that note I think we are yet again done here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement