Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Time Worker - Confused

• 07-08-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

He everyone, I have a contract of empoyment for permanant part time employment in a shop that only opens 3 days a week. My employer has started talking about opening full time and maybe even 6 days a week and wants me to do it. I am not inclined to do it as I want a part time job.

Q - Can my employer fire me / let me go / make me redundant if I don't take up full time work?

Thanks for any hints or advice.

H.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well they could decide that there are no longer going to be a part time position due to the change of opening hours and due to this you'd be made redundant. How ever that would require that all the other positions are full time (i.e. they can't let you go and hire another part timer with out certain requirements on position change etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hangmanray

Thanks Nody

So you think I have no real choice but to take up the full time position or risk being let go? I don't know if it makes and differnce but I am doing the part time job for over 3 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The chances of any six day a week having only full-time staff are pretty limited.

If I was you, I would start on convincing him to hire another part timer. Benefits to him:

Lower PRSI rates for part time workers
    Able to cover for each other if one goes sick
    Not having to pay redundancy
    Greater flexibility to cover annual leave etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

hangmanray wrote: »
    Thanks Nody

So you think I have no real choice but to take up the full time position or risk being let go? I don't know if it makes and differnce but I am doing the part time job for over 3 years now.
    It's all down to your manager to be honest; some managers refuse to change no matter what; others would be willing to compromise/change opinion as per Mrs OBumble's suggestion. As we don't know your manager the only one that can ultimately answer your question is your manager and to answer your question if you can be made redundant/fired (to which the answer is yes under certain circumstances).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hangmanray

Ms O Bumble, Nody

Thank you both for you helpful suggestions and advice. I am clearer now on my position and at least can see some things to explore.

H

• Advertisement
Advertisement