Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingerprint Scanner Malfunction in Sunlight

Options
  • 07-08-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experienced with biometric readers as I have.
    There is a site I work at with maybe half a dozen biometric fingerprint scanners installed both indoors and outdoors, all the same model. 3 of them occasionally beep when no one is at them, as if they are scanning a finger which is not on the system (One beep for the scan, two beeps for refusal).
    All three scanners which have been known to do this are outdoors and unsheltered.
    Today I investigated the problem as it was happening and noticed that the glass reading surface was in direct sunlight and when I cast a shadow across it the beeping would stop, when I allowed the sun to hit it directly again the beeping would start, not immediately but after a short interval.
    Has anyone else come across this?
    I'm wondering if the sunlight is hitting old residual fingerprint impressions at such an angle that the scanner is seeing it as a real finger. Or perhaps there is something else going on, perhaps enough heat built up to make it trigger a scan?
    Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Heliumfix wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experienced with biometric readers as I have.
    There is a site I work at with maybe half a dozen biometric fingerprint scanners installed both indoors and outdoors, all the same model. 3 of them occasionally beep when no one is at them, as if they are scanning a finger which is not on the system (One beep for the scan, two beeps for refusal).
    All three scanners which have been known to do this are outdoors and unsheltered.
    Today I investigated the problem as it was happening and noticed that the glass reading surface was in direct sunlight and when I cast a shadow across it the beeping would stop, when I allowed the sun to hit it directly again the beeping would start, not immediately but after a short interval.
    Has anyone else come across this?
    I'm wondering if the sunlight is hitting old residual fingerprint impressions at such an angle that the scanner is seeing it as a real finger. Or perhaps there is something else going on, perhaps enough heat built up to make it trigger a scan?
    Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

You have pretty much answered your question in relation to the cause.
    What I would suggest is fitting a cover to shield the finger reader. I remember fitting perspex one a lone time ago but could not where It was purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Heliumfix

Thanks for the reply, I'll see about fitting a cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Heliumfix wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I'll see about fitting a cover!

Your welcome, any other problems let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭lilylarkin

Hi, I have just had new gate automation installed with fingerprint scanners for entry and exit. During the storm and rain 2 nights ago it did not recognise any fingerprint, despite the fact that we dried our hands and wiped the pad dry. It is located on a pole with no shelter. Next day it worked fine.

The installer was unable to provide me with spec or brand name of the product so I could troubleshoot and check if they are IP rated. I suspect they have come as unbranded items from China. Is this something I should accept? I havent paid over for the installation yet as the pads are glitchy.

Or is it simply a case of fitting protective shields over them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

It is years since I last worked on finger print readers but these were indoors. I am surprised to see them being used in an environment like you described and i am not at all surprised they did not work in windy / rainy conditions, of which we have plenty of in this country.

I find it strange that your installer could not supply you with a brand name, spec or anything, that is a basic requirement in a specification when pricing an installation like that.

• Advertisement

I just came across them as unbranded handsets on eBay ,manufactured in China.

lilylarkin wrote: »
    I just came across them as unbranded handsets on eBay ,manufactured in China.

I don't suppose there is a spec with it ?

Yes. They are ip68 rated and intended for both external and internal use. Il just cover them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Because of Covid we have disabled our finger print scanners.

lilylarkin wrote: »
    Yes. They are ip68 rated and intended for both external and internal use. Il just cover them

Interesting, I am just curious how they will cope with the climate in this country in the long run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement