Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget cuts at RTE?

Options
  • 07-08-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

has the length of RTE's news broadcasts all been cut in two this week or were they always this short?? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

Garth Brooks fiasco over with, so no other news to report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Nothin much happening now....according to etr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Uthur wrote: »
    has the length of RTE's news broadcasts all been cut in two this week or were they always this short?? :D

They only employ 2,300 staff, producing several hours of content a day.

So when a few go on holiday, tbe other 2,000+ can't be dealing with 30 mins of filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

AFAIR it's always down to 30 mins for August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Its about time RTE started cutting its cloth. It should start with Tubridy and then that ar$e Duffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

pity they wouldnt cut the black hole that is the RTE orchestra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Are they showing reeling in the years at 6.30 again? Thats a hard bet program!!

Nobody cares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Don't get RTE anymore, so Dobbo could be doing a gig in his birthday suit for all I know. Excellent value for €160 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Iang87 wrote: »
    pity they wouldnt cut the black hole that is the RTE orchestra.

One of the few divisions of rte that has any merit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

They had that RTE Now (the news one?) channel on the TV in work today, it's awful. There were two stories in the "Entertainment" section and one was "Domhnall Gleeson jokes about the secrecy surrounding Star Wars Episode VII"

THAT WAS IT!! They didn't even have the joke. How is that news?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Much prefer TV3's more relaxed attitude,shame the programs are so bad.
    RTE's inability to change and drag itself out of the 1950's is annoying,but they get a lot of viewers for some programs simply because they're Irish I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Happens every summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

They were looking for job bridge interns or slaves a few a weeks ago. Two of them to slave away in the video library department.

So yeah, budget cuts in rte if they're using job bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Eh, I prefer nationwide to reeling in the years. Love dem human interest stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Fair City should surely be cut before the news. Thats 30 mins of needless waste right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Talking of budgets and rte...

Any one remember when they used to cut zig and zig/the den and show the bloody budget instead?

Gettin in from school, school bag dumped in kitchen, telly on in anticipation of ninja turtles on r Scooby doo, only to see a bunch of **** in suits talking Shiite about taxes:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Any one remember when they used to cut zig and zig/the den and show the bloody budget instead?

Gettin in from school, school bag dumped in kitchen, telly on in anticipation of ninja turtles on r Scooby doo, only to see a bunch of **** in suits :mad:

that was THE WORST :mad::mad::mad:

cloud493 wrote: »
    Eh, I prefer nationwide to reeling in the years. Love dem human interest stories.

I actually watch and enjoy both. You could put them on in place of the Late Late.

How come my emoticons have gone?

ANd how come I can't bold stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I actually watch and enjoy both. You could put them on in place of the Late Late.

How come my emoticons have gone?

ANd how come I can't bold stuff?

Nationwide with Mary Kennedy mmmmmmm. Wait.
    Put her on the Late Late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

kneemos wrote: »
    Much prefer TV3's more relaxed attitude,shame the programs are so bad.
    RTE's inability to change and drag itself out of the 1950's is annoying,but they get a lot of viewers for some programs simply because they're Irish I presume.

Its a pity TV3 doesnt do news on the weekend Id be watching it instead of RTE

Didnt they save a million or two by Pat Kenny's departure for newstalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Gettin in from school, school bag dumped in kitchen, telly on in anticipation of ninja turtles on r Scooby doo, only to see a bunch of **** in suits talking Shiite about taxes:mad:

Yes, as children it was awful and we only had two channels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Its because the Dail is on holdiays.
    And for the last few years, Reeling in the years has been on straight afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They do because nothing apparently happens in August, even if history shows the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

They were looking for job bridge interns or slaves a few a weeks ago. Two of them to slave away in the video library department.

So yeah, budget cuts in rte if they're using job bridge.

Your comment makes me feel sick.

Your name made me throw up.

The stupidity of your comment is baffling. JobBridge doesn't mean budget cuts, it means they're trying to do something productive and help some unemployed people get in the door of the work industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

paulbok wrote: »
    Garth Brooks fiasco over with

I can't wait for Reeling in the Years 2014!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I can't wait for Reeling in the Years 2014!

Hmm, if the 2000s series showed it anything it's that the 2010s will feature RTE clapping themselves on the back about everything, and selectively showing certain clips which shows the lads in Donnybrook were right about it all along.

In the case of Brooks, I imagine they'll portray the country as having gone completely mad (slightly true) and that RTE had no part to play in fuelling the flames of it. And the music will be ****e cheapo stuff that they'll have no bother getting the licensing for when it comes to DVD time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

It was Playschool for me, interrupted by the British budget, but I remember the feeling all right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

RobertKK wrote: »
    They do because nothing apparently happens in August, even if history shows the opposite.

True that, August was clean up and reconstruction month after Galway was liberated from the Indians.

Advertisement