Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public in the Coombe

Options
  • 07-08-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just wondering for those of you who went/are going public in the coombe, how have you found the experience? I'm trying to rationalise our extravagant health insurance policy and want to explore all my options.

I went semi private last time and had a textbook pregnancy and birth (bar some minor complications at the end). I personally feel comfortable going public and accept that I wont see a consultant most of the time and the wait times are longer for appointments but are there any other caveats?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Yellow hen check out if you are eligible for the domino scheme? If so you won't have any of waiting around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Millem wrote: »
    Yellow hen check out if you are eligible for the domino scheme? If so you won't have any of waiting around :)

Yes, I should be eligible but I just want to check peoples experiences in the public system also.
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

The domino scheme is also public. That's what I am doing and apart from the 12 Week appointment and 20 week scan I don't have to go near the hospital until the birth. I just go to the clinic five minutes from my house instead, no queues and free parking. If I have any complications I will be transferred back to the normal hospital system. The hospital was busy when I was there but I felt like the level of care was fine and I also went semi private on my first. Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I've been public in the Coombe one and a half times (I didn't give birth there the second time but the only reason I switched was because the other hospital was a wee bit closer and I regretted switching in the end too).

Both experiences were fantastic. Always felt listened too, I was consultant led both times but the midwives clinic seems to fly along for visits. Wards are small enough (think the biggest is 8 beds, smallest 4! Rotunda's smallest public ward has 8 beds). All going well you should be out in 24 hours anyway, I was there for 4 days during a visiting restriction time so only had DP and it was grand, nice and quiet. The one thing I didn't like about the Coombe is them making partners leave for rest times, I found that was the time I needed him most, especially when baby was crying and my dinner was sitting going cold while I tended to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lashofeye

Hi im only second pregnant Nd have zero problem with the public system in the coombe .my first pregnancy was borderline pre eclampsia and they were so nice and helpful up there.
    The wait times are fine and every staff member I have met have be fantastic .y sil is going semi again I can't understand why you pay for something you. An get for free . Keep your money for the baby good luck with Your pregnancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lashofeye

Sorry for spellings takes on iPhone !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

one thing that happened us was baby was in icu for first month (grand now). Some one mentioned that if wife had gone private she would have incurred thousands in costs for it! We checked the policy (even though we went public) and on first readings it would appear that we would have had to shell out.
    Also they let oh stay in private room after Csection for a good few days after (rather than be with mums holding babies all the time)...and again if she were private she would have had to fork out on the extra days (think she was allowed 3 privately)...

She went public all 3 times in coombe and was more than happy, despite friends yabbering on about their private room and demanding better service and their own personal consultant which they never saw in the end etc...

so basically check your policy esp. if extra things like the above happen.

if anything goes wrong the coombe is the best place in Ireland (i think)...so set your mind at ease in either choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

+1 for domino scheme in Coombe, 38 weeks nearly and very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

So far it's been very positive for me. Arrived yesterday at 9.20 for a 9.30 appointment with the consultant. Was in work by 10.25!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

We are currently going through public. No issues. Wait times are minimal as we opted for early morning appointments. In and out in an hr usually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement