Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Graphics Card

Options
  • 07-08-2014 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

I am currently looking to update my card that I bought in 2012. Its a Club 3D Radeon HD 7970 royalQueen, 3GB GDDR5 (can't find the original link on HWV - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Club-3D-Radeon-royalQueen-Express/dp/B007XE4DUE)

I usually upgrade every two years and with games such as Far Cry 4 around the corner, I am looking to see what my options are. I usually spend about 350 on a new card and that seems to be what the 290's are going for. Is it worth the extra cash for the 290x?

My monitor resolution is 1920×1440.

What would you guys suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That's an unusual resolution.

I would probably wait for a little while longer. I would imagine that your 7970 is still running everything okay at the moment? The nvidia 800 series are due a release in the coming months and could increase your options for you. Perhaps you could overclock the 7970 a little - if you haven't.

The 290 isn't really an enormous upgrade; the 280X is pretty much a 7970 which makes the 290 just one step above that.

Advertisement