Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening entertainment small wedding

Options
  • 06-08-2014 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, we are having a very small family wedding, basically civil ceremony followed by dinner and are struggling for ideas for evening entertainment. There will be around 20 people of various ages so not sure if a band would work. Just wondering if anyone has similar wedding and what worked, any help appreciated at this stage!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

We haven't actually had our wedding yet, but we're planning for about 50 guests and we've booked a DJ. We were really unsure if it would just be weird having a big band for such a small group. We are getting married this New Year's Eve, and some of the quotes we got from bands just seemed so high.

If you could find a good one- or two-person band, that could work well with your numbers. We were just afraid that a typical 4-6 person wedding band would look like overkill in our small venue.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm planning similar and thinking that a DJ might be the better option, but I've not booked any venue or dates yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sounds a little odd now, but we recently went to a table quiz and spent the night laughing at the MC.. Got me thinking after that it would actually be great entertainment, for the right crowd. fine you would not drag it on for more than an hour max but if you get a comic chap and have some questions based on the bride and groom and family friends it might turn out quite fun..

That or maybe karoke on the wii something like that it all depends again really on the crowd..

If you have an outdoor area you could set up some games like a fair or something

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CazSpeak

I like the idea of games Milly33 as we will have various ages so could try something to suit everyone and then some music. It's indoor tho so might be limited....The dilemmas!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was at a wedding last year where there was a quiz, it was great! It was after the meal, before the dancing, for about an hour so everyone's dinner could settle. Few gag prizes and a round of drinks for the winning table. One of the guests did up the questions and ran the quiz :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh it worked well then, I was thinking would it kinda of put a lull on things but then thinking perhaps after dinner like you say people will just want to sit..

There are a few ideas on the net but, other ones I was thinking about is a kinda of treasure hunt quiz!! Lets say you would put a few clues around the place about yourself and himself life together. Things like how ye met, what are the pets names, kids name, quirky things about you..Maybe put the answers to these questions around the venue like have a picture of ye and the pets with their names on it. Everyone has to find the answers and fill out the questions and whoever wins gets a surprise..

There is the photo option too set up a spot for people to go to get a picture taken and have a chalk board there so they can write a message on it for the happy couple.

Things for the kids could be making up a few pictures for the bride and groom or to decorate a page that ye will put in your memoirs box or photo album.. You could give them some non sticky prit stick and bits and bobs to decorate..
    Ah I cant find them now but there are these robots on etsy that you can get. You put them at the table for kids to make up themselves look quite nifty if I find ill post the link.

mmmm indoor games for kids that wont cause friction is a tuff one.. All depends on the age group.. Musicals chairs, the freeze game with music... Pinatas..Marbels are coming back in..

Sorry for the waffle haha I have not been thinking about all these things at all at all

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I was at a small wedding where Viva Manila performed - 3 piece band with guitars and double bass. Really entertaining guys, funny and huge repertoire of songs. Everyone loved them, even some of the grumpier guests :P I think they played for about 2 hours at the end of the meal, moving around the room so everyone was involved, took requests, great fun altogether :)

Advertisement