Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon Ultimate AL SLX 9.0 Di2 v. Cannondale CAAD10 Ultegra Di2

Options
  • 06-08-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for your collective, or indeed individual views on these two bikes. Both are far beyond my capabilities, but I'm feeling decadent yet want the best value possible! :o

I'm veering towards Canyon Ultimate AL SLX Di2 (€2,199) (Ultegra 2014) http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3285#tab-reiter2

However, the 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 Ultegra Di2 on Paul's Cycles UK looks like a good bet, and it would be a bit boring if everyone was riding a Canyon. http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5167/CANNONDALE-CAAD10-ULTEGRA-DI2-BLACK-2013 (£1,799)

Both are black, so a dead heat there (a more vibrant colour would be nice, but not to be). No doubt both charge delivery (around €50 in the case of Canyon). The Canyon is allegedly 7.3kg with Di2. I can't find the weight specification on the Cannondale, but I get the, (possibly mistaken), impression it would be a bit heavier. (I know weight's not the whole story, but all being equal I'd prefer a lighter bike).

I'm going through the Bike to Work Scheme. I'm sure my employer used to allow you to buy off Canyon, so hopefully they have not signed up to an awful Bike to Work rip-off scheme in the meantime.

Also, does anyone know what size frame Canyon bases their weight on? I am going for size M. Is 7.3kg based on M or something like size XS, I think I've often seen weight based on size 56 in reviews of other bikes? I can't seem to find that information confirmed anywhere.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Just to point out if you had not noticed.
    The canyon is 11 speed while the other is 10. It might not be a big deal to your self but who knows.

I have a canyon ultimate al my self with di2 and love it. Not the same bike but I would buy a canyon again if I was in the market for a bike again.

Both bikes you listed I'm sure you will be happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

They both look like nice bikes.

If I were splashing out that kind of money I would be choosing a bike with hydraulic disc brakes, especially since you are intending to get di2 anyway. My son has those on his hybrid bike and I think they are amazing.

With all the rain we get in this country disc brakes are more relevant/valuable here than in most countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Nice to hear you are happy with the Canyon, BadCharlie. No, I didn't notice 11 v 10 speed. :o Not a deal breaker, but nice to have.

Good point re disc brakes, Fian. I was thinking about them alright, but they are still not standard issue, so it seems to limit my options for off the peg bikes. In a couple of years they may well be the norm, but until then it seems you pay a premium for them.

Even though this is a pricey bike, (by most standards, and certainly by my standards), I want to get the best bang for my buck, and I'm veering towards the Canyon on that basis.

Thanks for the replies, this forum is a great resource for information, both as a lurker and occasional poster. :)

Now I have to get on to management to see if they still allow you choice in relation to suppliers.

Advertisement