Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employees signing documents

Options
  • 06-08-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all. I was on here a week ago talking about my faulty phone I had under warranty. Recently I got told I now have to pay 90 euro for external repair even though the fault was internal and the employee signed a receipt saying there was no physical damage. I was just wondering does the fault become the companies since it was signed by an employee and do I have to pay it knowing these info. Any help would be really appreciated im not used to these kind of things.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Do you mean repair by an external party or a repair to the exterior of the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 michaelc4739

repair to the exterior of the phone according to the message

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

If your phone is still under warranty and there is no external damage, then write them a letter asking that they provide you with one of the three remedies under the legislation i.e. that they repair, refund or replace the phone. The Consumer Agency website is very good for detailing your rights and providing a template letter. If the company refuses, then you should institute a claim in the Small Claims Court. The fact that you have a signed document from an employee stating the damage is not external bolsters your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

gmf1024 wrote: »
    If your phone is still under warranty and there is no external damage, then write them a letter asking that they provide you with one of the three remedies under the legislation i.e. that they repair, refund or replace the phone. The Consumer Agency website is very good for detailing your rights and providing a template letter. If the company refuses, then you should institute a claim in the Small Claims Court. The fact that you have a signed document from an employee stating the damage is not external bolsters your case.

The OP stated there is apparently external damage to the device, so the warranty is now void.
    Quite often repair companies will not fix a warranty related unless any damage is repaired first, Apple are a good example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

Sorry I took it that no "physical" damage as being the same as no "external" damage.

• Advertisement

Ya im aware of that but I wanna know since the employee stated no physical damage on the receipt doesn't that then become their problem if its declared as physical damage present later on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The employee can only examine the exterior of the handset and can't see whats on the inside so isn't really in a position to state there is no physical damage, can you post the exact wording or better still a scan of the repair document stating there is no physical damage, I'd be very curious to see what it says.

Expression of interest: I work for one of the mobile networks but am only posting my own opinions here.

Gillo wrote: »
    The employee can only examine the exterior of the handset and can't see whats on the inside so isn't really in a position to state there is no physical damage, can you post the exact wording or better still a scan of the repair document stating there is no physical damage, I'd be very curious to see what it says.

Expression of interest: I work for one of the mobile networks but am only posting my own opinions here.

Just says physical damage dectected and it says n which im guessing stands for no

Im also aware they cant ser whats inside but the charge is to do with the exterior so if there was a problem with that shouldnt that been noted

So basically the employee didn't detect any physical damage during a visual inspection on the exterior of the handset, if they had they would have alerted you to it before sending it to the repair center and advised wouldn't be covered by warranty and there would be a charge for the repair which you could choose to accept or ignore. When the phone goes in to the repair center and is opened up is when the proper examination / diagnostics takes place and any damage noted.

I'm not sure which network it was as we don't have a "Y/N" option on our forms but put in a physical description of the condition of the phone itself.

Once again, same expression as above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Was there external damage present when you presented the phone for repair?

So basically the employee didn't detect any physical damage during a visual inspection on the exterior of the handset, if they had they would have alerted you to it before sending it to the repair center and advised wouldn't be covered by warranty and there would be a charge for the repair which you could choose to accept or ignore. When the phone goes in to the repair center and is opened up is when the proper examination / diagnostics takes place and any damage noted.

I'm not sure which network it was as we don't have a "Y/N" option on our forms but put in a physical description of the condition of the phone itself.

Once again, same expression as above.

Thats it in a nut shel. But I cant understand why it passed then failed in the samr category

Beano wrote: »
    Was there external damage present when you presented the phone for repair?

Nope have a htc made cover so id be safe in that

Ask them what exactly the repair is for? Eternal is too vague and if it is the casing (eternal part that it is) I'd take it up with them. It's just pure speculation, but could "external repair" be a techy or management way ofsaying "out of warranty repair", it's not hard to see where they would get the fancy sounding name".

Ask them what exactly the repair is for? Eternal is too vague and if it is the casing (eternal part that it is) I'd take it up with them. It's just pure speculation, but could "external repair" be a techy or management way ofsaying "out of warranty repair", it's not hard to see where they would get the fancy sounding name".

Hi thanks for the help. I just listened to the message again and it said physical damafe to casing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Hi thanks for the help. I just listened to the message again and it said physical damafe to casing

So basically you are saying that they broke the casing while they had it in for repair?

Advertisement