Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is income tax for again?

Options
  • 06-08-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I drive I pay road tax I get my rubbish collection and I pay the bin company.
    I get sick I pay the GP and I pay for my own medicine.
    I pay a TV licence.
    Now I have to pay a water tax with a private for profit fat cat company.

Everything I purchase has VAT on it.
    This really is a banana Republic.

My opinion is the main thing income tax funds is corruption cronyism and waste.

Comments

Let the bears pay the bear tax

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I pay a TV licence.

Reading this gave me a headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I pay the Homer tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I pay a TV licence.

Income tax is meant to be a "fairer" way to pay tax where those who earn more pay proportionally more tax.

Its a progressive tax where as consumption taxes are deemed less progressive even if they are pay as you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dónal wrote: »
    Let the bears pay the bear tax

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Income tax is for the little people Op. It always was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Are you an idiot?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 beta maximum

Income tax is meant to be a "fairer" way to pay tax where those who earn more pay proportionally more tax.

Its a progressive tax where as consumption taxes are deemed less progressive even if they are pay as you use.
    Meant to be is the opritave part there.
    Earn enough and you just dodge tax altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

May I be the first to say dole scroungers and scummers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Meant to be is the opritave part there.
    Earn enough and you just dodge tax altogether.
    Ya not really I'm afraid unless you live outside of the country for over 6 months of the year their is no way around income tax.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

This being After Hours, the obvious answer is - Income Tax is paid by people in jobs in order to furnish the lavish lifestyles of all the lazy gits on the dole and pay for prams for single mothers, cars for Nigerian assylum seeking taxi drivers and x-boxes for prisoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I pay a TV licence.

I don't think you have the first idea of what a banana republic even is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

It's for me to claim back in its entirety at the end of year to blow on travelling and ****.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Income Tax is just a short term measure to pay for the Napoleonic War.

Are you an idiot?

In as much as? What is income tax for? It's a tax on your income, the money you earn. Why then are there more taxes? It's a simple question, it's a fair question. Which leads me to ask, are you an idiot?

Money can be exchanged for goods and services

Yeah, that confirms it, thanks. :)

And I would hazard a guess many of those goods and sevices would include expensive booze and hookers for government junkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In as much as? What is income tax for? It's a tax on your income, the money you earn. Why then are there more taxes? It's a simple question, it's a fair question. Which leads me to ask, are you an idiot?

It may be a simple question but the op could list all the other things the government has to pay for that he didn't name and can't think of a tax they pay that they think goes directly to pay for that service.

Motor tax doesn't go to pay for roads BTW op, it goes to general funds. It pays for roads the same way any other tax that goes in to the pot does. Otherwise they might call it road tax.

Because income tax is a general tax among all those employed, used to provide services which are deemed essential in a first world country. Services such as the Emergency Services, a Civil Service, a Government, public transport and infrastructure and social services.

The others are more targeted taxes, aimed at those who benefit from the specific service or things deemed to be non-essential.

Also don't get pissy about paying for water. People have paid for electricity and gas forever and there are thousands around the country who pay into group water schemes and pay to have wells dug.
    And I would hazard a guess many of those goods and sevices would include expensive booze and hookers for government junkets.

Cop yourself on. You're a grown man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did you go to school when you were younger? Have you ever visited a hospital? You know those lads in the various uniforms? Some of them uphold laws, others drive ambulances, yet more put fires out. Ever wonder how the grass in the park gets cut. Etc etc

It may be a simple question but the op could list all the other things the government has to pay for that he didn't name and can't think of a tax they pay that they think goes directly to pay for that service.

Motor tax doesn't go to pay for roads BTW op, it goes to general funds. It pays for roads the same way any other tax that goes in to the pot does. Otherwise they might call it road tax.

Yeah, but see, you're missing the big point. There's income tax. They tax the money you sweat for. That's their "bit". Their "income". They then go pay for all the stuff we need out of their "income". But, what actually happens, is they "Tax" you again, and again, and again, from a thousand sneaky angles. Then, they tell us "we're a low tax country....". Yeah, right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I pay a TV licence.

Ever hear of Schools or Hospitals? Law enforcement, Courts or Gaols? Army or Navy? Social welfare? National Parks? Old age pensions? In fact you're taking the Michael really, aren't you.
    You're such a card! :)

Ever hear of Schools or Hospitals? Law enforcement, Courts or Gaols? Army or Navy? Social welfare? National Parks? Old age pensions? In fact you're taking the Michael really, aren't you.
    You're such a card! :)

Yup. The state get "income" tax to pay for all that. They tax the money you earn...you pay "tax" on your income... struggling here tbh.. might be too big a question. Fcuk me.

Because income tax is a general tax among all those employed, used to provide services which are deemed essential in a first world country. Services such as the Emergency Services, a Civil Service, a Government, public transport and infrastructure and social services.

The others are more targeted taxes, aimed at those who benefit from the specific service or things deemed to be non-essential.

Also don't get pissy about paying for water. People have paid for electricity and gas forever and there are thousands around the country who pay into group water schemes and pay to have wells dug.

Cop yourself on. You're a grown man.

It was a joke I don't think most have a problem paying their way but it seems to easy to keep adding more taxes.
    And being 100% serious I believe corruption and waste is a big problem.

...from a thousand sneaky angles.

On my payslip there is 3 taxes. Income tax, PRSI and USC.

I pay VAT on stuff I buy and motor tax for the car.

I pay for my utilities.

Where's your thousand angles???
    What's sneaky about any of it???
    All the information is every tax this government levies is right here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/
    Yup. The state get "income" tax to pay for all that. They tax the money you earn...you pay "tax" on your income... struggling here tbh.. might be too big a question. Fcuk me.

I'm struggling to understand how you don't get the concept of tax

It was a joke I don't think most have a problem paying their way but it seems to easy to keep adding more taxes.
    And being 100% serious I believe corruption and waste is a big problem.

Cissy. Make your point, fight for it till your fingers bleed and never back down. You're flippy flopping there Buddy. Firm the feck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Cissy. Make your point, fight for it till your fingers bleed and never back down. You're flippy flopping there Buddy. Firm the feck up.

Yeah, like the crowd who said Don't Register, Don't Pay. Where are they now?

Go easy on him. He's new.

Remember the AH rule: Deny, Deny, Deny. Even when someone confronts you with proof, pretend you didn't see it and keep denying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Advertisement