Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing a lease

Options
  • 06-08-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Evening Guys, Hopng someone on here can offer me a little advice :) we moved into a house last november on a 12month contract the house was up for sale but the letting agency told us that the owner would remove it from the buying market as we were renting now i know his in his right to sell at any stage but from our knowleadge their hasnt been much interest in it but i heard this evening from a friend that a person they know had a massive interest in it and had viewed the house.. i was just wondering seen as we have ten weeks left in our contract would it be two early to ring the letting agency and ask them to get onto the landlord and ask is he willingly to let for another 12months just ive a 7week old baby to think about so would need to start looking.just wondering would it be any harm in asking or is it too early :) thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If LL is selling, new owner will want vacant possession. After the 12 month lease, you have part 4 tenancy rights but LL will be able to serve you with relevant notice when selling the property. If he/she gave you a new lease, then you could not be evicted during that lease so, unfortunately, you are unlikely to get another fixed term lease but you can certainly ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭xxtippchickxx

davo10 wrote: »
    If LL is selling, new owner will want vacant possession. After the 12 month lease, you have part 4 tenancy rights but LL will be able to serve you with relevant notice when selling the property. If he/she gave you a new lease, then you could not be evicted during that lease so, unfortunately, you are unlikely to get another fixed term lease but you can certainly ask.

was just talking to the receptionist informed her saying i had to get childcare etc sorted before heading back to work and she said LL is happy enough and willing to give us another lease in november and theres very slow interest in the house woohoo happy days :0 unna get off my ass and start mortgage with the bank to buy this place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

was just talking to the receptionist informed her saying i had to get childcare etc sorted before heading back to work and she said LL is happy enough and willing to give us another lease in november and theres very slow interest in the house woohoo happy days :0 unna get off my ass and start mortgage with the bank to buy this place

There's a long time fbetween here and November, I really wouldn't rely on this. Ask for a new 15 month lease now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Many Agents and landlords believe, incorrectly, that if they sell the property, they can use the Part 4 grounds for eviction during a fixed term agreement.

However, the landlord could include a clause in the new lease that allows him to use the Part 4 grounds once the Part 4 rights apply, that is, after the first six months of the first lease which is still in vigour.

athtrasna wrote: »
    There's a long time fbetween here and November, I really wouldn't rely on this. Ask for a new 15 month lease now?

its not really that long would just be under the 6week mark if he was to serve us with
    notice fact she has made an appointment for us to go in and sign a new contract in october is enough for me

• Advertisement

its not really that long would just be under the 6week mark if he was to serve us with
    notice fact she has made an appointment for us to go in and sign a new contract in october is enough for me

He doesn't need to serve you with notice, you have a fixed term lease?

He doesn't need to serve you with notice, you have a fixed term lease?

our contract states he has to issue us with 56days notice if he wishes to break the lease

our contract states he has to issue us with 56days notice if he wishes to break the lease

But he's not breaking the lease, the lease is expiring?

But he's not breaking the lease, the lease is expiring?

oh i realise that but we have been talking to him since than and he has agreed to renew it thanks for all the answers

Advertisement