Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandatory Drive Test Every 10 Years

Options
  • 06-08-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭

Reading through the N-Plate thread, and it reminded me about something i always thought would be a good idea.

Should there be a mandatory driving test for everyone every 10 years? We all know plenty of the older generation who got their never-expiring full licences due to a backlog years back, and who, if tested today, would probably fail. We also know people with relatively new licences, or those with the full licence a few years, but are still incapable of driving correctly.

Or, do you think the Gardai should be allowed to direct someone to resit the test to either avoid a driving conviction for minor offences, or because they believe that the person is a hazard on the road and needs to resit the test?

I think both should happen. I would find it a minor inconvenience to have to resit the test every 10 years, because, while i'm not a perfect driver, I consider myself a damn sight better than a lot of other road users. And i don't see it as punishing the good for the mistakes of the bad.

Also, the test should be revamped and include a more comprehensive test, like Sweden.

Mandatory test every 10 years/Garda direct to resit/both/none? 52 votes

Mandatory Retest Every 10 Years
    0% 0 votes
    Garda can direct to resit test
    26% 14 votes
    Both mandatory retest and Garda can direct
    40% 21 votes
    Neither, it's grand the way it is
    32% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Reading through the N-Plate thread, and it reminded me about something i always thought would be a good idea.

Should there be a mandatory driving test for everyone every 10 years? We all know plenty of the older generation who got their never-expiring full licences due to a backlog years back, and who, if tested today, would probably fail. We also know people with relatively new licences, or those with the full licence a few years, but are still incapable of driving correctly.

Or, do you think the Gardai should be allowed to direct someone to resit the test to either avoid a driving conviction for minor offences, or because they believe that the person is a hazard on the road and needs to resit the test?

I think both should happen. I would find it a minor inconvenience to have to resit the test every 10 years, because, while i'm not a perfect driver, I consider myself a damn sight better than a lot of other road users. And i don't see it as punishing the good for the mistakes of the bad.

Also, the test should be revamped and include a more comprehensive test, like Sweden.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They drive on the wrong side of the road in Sweden, there would be carnage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

thelad95 wrote: »
    No.

Tis bad enough to be having to bring the car to the NCT every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

WHAT and give them more cash will you go aaaaaaaway out of that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Why does everybody seem to think everything's perfect in Sweden....? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

People slack off once they've passed the test, think they have nothing more to learn about driving

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It is

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/welcome-to-sweden-meme.jpg

Maybe some kind of mandatory refresher course after 10 years, but not resitting the test altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

i can never understand that - and seeing Dublin has the safest roads in all of Europe , i fail to see how re testing everyone makes it safer

OP , you might have gotten more agreement with re testing those to be at fault in an accident or being done for reckless/dangerous driving

but for everyone ? thats just mad ted :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

If you get six penalty points on your license you should be made retake it.

Also a monthly test for female drivers and a weekly test for someone over 60

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I actually agree with this. Or at least that the guards can order a retest (perhaps only on the basis of a ticket?). It is a little mental that I took a test at 18 and I will never need to do it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 beta maximum

N plates greedy revenue generation theory test and so on for new drivers and the muppets all agree.
    Aim a bit of the pain at older drivers and we get an instant whinge feast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Maybe some kind of mandatory refresher course after 10 years, but not resitting the test altogether.

Truck and Bus drivers must do driver CPC every year,learners of cars and bikes must do EDT & IBT so yes some sort of annual refresher course is required,the standard of driving on our roads is pretty poor but some people think once they have their full licences they're experts!!! !but sure i passed my driving test.......................................... In 1979 would be a likely response

I actually agree with this. Or at least that the guards can order a retest (perhaps only on the basis of a ticket?). It is a little mental that I took a test at 18 and I will never need to do it again?

same could be said for your school or uni exams , sit them once , then never do them again , well you dont need to sit them again because you are using what you learned everyday , same with driving

if it shows that you need to resit it due to bad driving or a court case , then fair enough.

i have my full car licence 20 years , i do 30,000 miles apx a year , no points , full no claims , never crashed or in court.

why should i be retested seeing i display none of the things that might warrant a retest ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Great! more tests, more rules, more regulation, I'll not make sure not to kill anybody next time I'm out on the road because that's what I was intent on doing last time

I bet some people wish sylvester barrett was still alive and the minister for the environment.

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Truck and Bus drivers must do driver CPC every year,learners of cars and bikes must do EDT & IBT so yes some sort of annual refresher course is required,the standard of driving on our roads is pretty poor but some people think once they have their full licences they're experts!!! !but sure i passed my driving test.......................................... In 1979 would be a likely response

and if they have a clean licence from 1979 , they probably are experts ;)

why should all resit because of a few ?
    target the bad ones , leave the rest of us alone

and this when we have the most improved road record in Europe , Dublin the safest European city to drive in.

anyway , if someone feels the need a refresher , then you can do it privately , it will even help your insurance
    forcing it on all other good drivers is just bonkers

dj jarvis wrote: »

and this when we have the most improved road record in Europe , Dublin the safest European city to drive in.

anyway , if someone feels the need a refresher , then you can do it privately , it will even help your insurance

I said 1979 for a very very good reason look at my other post

Probably because you can't move over the congestion :p

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Sit another test, no thanks another money maken operation if it comes in.

Do the instructors of the RSA have to resit there exams 1s they are certified?

Does any body drive the way they did in their driving test any way ? I know i dont

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Monkey, shut up. Some gobdaw Politician will read this, spot a bandwagon and hop on. Next thing you know, it'll be law. Another Law. One to go with all the other nannying, pita bleedin laws. As an example, there's talk(there actually is) of bringing in compulsory motor insurance for ride-on lawn mowers. Not for use on the public road, but for using it in your garden. Nuts. Don't feed the nuts.

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    I said 1979 for a very very good reason look at my other post

i know why , i remember it , my mates 60 year old mother was handed a full licence with ALL category listed , including a TRUCK.

still does not change my point , if someone with one of these licences is not driving dangerously and has it clean , then obviously they dont need a retest.

it boils down to enforcement - its the traffic corp to catch bad drivers , and the fear of a retest due to bad driving would no doubt soften a lot of peoples cough

just leave the others alone - its nearly harassment by the RSA at this stage

Probably because you can't move over the congestion :p

other citys have congestion , just like Dublin , but by the amount of road users per head , Dublin is safer

nothing to do with size or congestion

London is like a car park at rush hour , same as Dublin , but you are safer in the Dublin traffic than you are London

we must be doing something right - never stop improving , sure , but mandatory retest for all - thats smells of a FF cash scam ,
    Your name is Noel Dempsy by any chance :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Let's just retest all auld ones.

Universally terrible drivers but they are consider "safe" because they are incapable of traveling at anything approaching a normal speed and as we all know in Ireland, speed is literally the only factor in accidents :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

People slack off once they've passed the test, think they have nothing more to learn about driving

This is exactly my point. People get the licence and never have to sit another test, regardless of the changes in the rules of the road, or new laws with regards to driving.
    Carpenter wrote: »
    WHAT and give them more cash will you go aaaaaaaway out of that .
    target the bad ones , leave the rest of us alone...
    ...forcing it on all other good drivers is just bonkers

While i agree that they (Government) may turn it into a money making exercise, if done right it may not be a bad thing. And yes, it would be hindering those with clean records, but if you're good at driving you've nothing to worry about.
    OP , you might have gotten more agreement with re testing those to be at fault in an accident or being done for reckless/dangerous driving

but for everyone ? thats just mad ted :eek:

That's why i put in the Garda option as a stand alone choice. But again, i don't see a good driver with a clean record having any problems passing the test again. And it's only once every 10 years, a lot can change in 10 years!
    i know why , i remember it , my mates 60 year old mother was handed a full licence with ALL category listed , including a TRUCK.

That's where my idea stemmed from, people were handed out licences without ever having to prove their competency. This is really who i was aiming it at.

This is exactly my point. People get the licence and never have to sit another test, regardless of the changes in the rules of the road, or new laws with regards to driving.

While i agree that they (Government) may turn it into a money making exercise, if done right it may not be a bad thing. And yes, it would be hindering those with clean records, but if you're good at driving you've nothing to worry about.

That's why i put in the Garda option as a stand alone choice. But again, i don't see a good driver with a clean record having any problems passing the test again. And it's only once every 10 years, a lot can change in 10 years!

That's where my idea stemmed from, people were handed out licences without ever having to prove their competency. This is really who i was aiming it at.

my opinion for what its worth is this, retest should be more commonplace , but for people caught driving badly - more of that , and the ripple effect to the rest of bad drivers would soon be felt

same effect to the changes in the drink driving laws , once people seen the cops actually enforcing the laws , the amount dropped 50% for the 27,000 done in 2007

enforcement on bad driving and drivers is the way - not dropping MORE crap on road users

and dont get me going on motorcyclists having to wear a poxy N for two years after passing a test - maybe on the bike , but wear it ?????

only road users forced to wear a certain type of clothing - funk that

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be honest if the traffic laws were stringently applied a lot of the dodgy drivers would be weeded out with penalty points.

There is no enforcement of any meaningful kind of our traffic laws. The amount of people I see on their mobiles driving every day is frightening including in the over taking lane on the M50. The missus swears that a guy we overtook at the weekend was texting while driving.

We have plenty of laws we don't have enough resources to enforce them. Put the money into that first and not more test infrastructure.

If after that people still feel we have an issue then bring in mandatory testing but there should be no charge to the public for this.

other citys have congestion , just like Dublin , but by the amount of road users per head , Dublin is safer

nothing to do with size or congestion

London is like a car park at rush hour , same as Dublin , but you are safer in the Dublin traffic than you are London

we must be doing something right - never stop improving , sure , but mandatory retest for all - thats smells of a FF cash scam ,
    Your name is Noel Dempsy by any chance :p

Pfft no, I'm Leo Varadkar. Hence, Hot Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Typical proposal to over regulate those who can be regulated. The flip side of this approach is do nothing about real issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Retesting every single person with a licence? You'd never get on top of the backlog it would cause from the very start. Bull**** idea.

Advertisement