Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

limitation of learner permit

Options
  • 06-08-2014 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, I just wonder if there is any limitation of engine size for learner permit (category B cars).
    I was told that only cars under 1.4 can be chosen by learner permit holders. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 timmcgrath

No restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

None, but larger engines are made prohibitively expensive to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 followme_1987

timmcgrath wrote: »
    No restrictions

That is great ! THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep, no restrictions on your learner permit. Some insurance companies may not want to insure learners if they are very young and they drive a big, expensive car, with a huge engine. But your learner permit does not have any restrictions. Perhaps the person who told you that, got insurance mixed up with licenses?

Mycroft H wrote: »
    None, but larger engines are made prohibitively expensive to insure.

Yes, I've heard that as well and I will think about it. Thanks for your reminder.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yep, no restrictions on your learner permit. Some insurance companies may not want to insure learners if they are very young and they drive a big, expensive car, with a huge engine. But your learner permit does not have any restrictions. Perhaps the person who told you that, got insurance mixed up with licenses?

Yes, just as you said, It depends on the insurance company. I am a 27 year old man and got my learner permit this month. I prefer mini or Audi A3 but most of their engines are 1.6. That is my concern, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Obviously the smaller the car the less power and you'll find it easier to control. For lessons i had a 1.2 mini, and when driving my parents car its a 1.9 octavia, and as a learner i could really feel the difference

Obviously the smaller the car the less power and you'll find it easier to control. For lessons i had a 1.2 mini, and when driving my parents car its a 1.9 octavia, and as a learner i could really feel the difference

Correct ! the smaller car seems easier to control. 1.2 mini is a really nice car. Less than 1.4 looks like a good choice. Thanks^ ^

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Correct ! the smaller car seems easier to control. 1.2 mini is a really nice car. Less than 1.4 looks like a good choice. Thanks^ ^

I bought me own 1.4 golf as me own car before i had to sell it because insurance was so expensive, it really was perfect for me

Advertisement