Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Key Deposit for new rented house

Options
  • 06-08-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All,

Just about to move into a new house and the letting agency is looking for a Key deposit of 50e on top of the deposit for the house. Does this sound normal? Is it something that we should have to put a deposit on?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Edit, this isn't for a fob system for parking either, just a normal house key.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

10 years of renting I've never heard of a "key deposit". Tell them no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is it an actual key or a key-fob thing?

When I moved into my building there was an access code we could use to get in. Shortly after the management company de-activated the code and insisted everyone use fobs to gain entry, this was at a cost of €50 per fob.

So instead of me being down 50 quid we decided I would cover the cost and when I move out the person who takes my place will need to pay €50 for my fob, and so on. Fair enough I think.

But if it's just a regular key? That's a bit stupid, how much does a key cost these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Very common in short term accommodation. Not common in long term residential. But hell- you're paying a deposit anyway, what's wrong with making a small portion of it for a specific items.

Pay it, or go find a place you like better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Get a key cut, and hand it to them, and tell them "there's the key back, so there's no need for a deposit".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Sounds ridiculous to me. Rented for a long time and never heard the like of it. A key deposit? Madness

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Get a key cut, and hand it to them, and tell them "there's the key back, so there's no need for a deposit".

It'll cost a fraction of the €50 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

just a normal house key

Any chance its a security key where only the registered card holder can get copies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Any chance its a security key where only the registered card holder can get copies?

The security key for my apartment block cost €30 to replace about 10 years ago. So, €50 deposit today doesn't seem outstanding if we are talking about a security key

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It'll cost a fraction of the €50 too.

A landlord won't want keys cut. As he will have to replace the locks when tenant moves out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

ted1 wrote: »
    A landlord won't want keys cut. As he will have to replace the locks when tenant moves out.

How would the landlord know if you have the keys cut anyway? I have two sets of keys for my flat and we're considering getting another set cut to leave with a friend so we have a backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How would the landlord know if you have the keys cut anyway? I have two sets of keys for my flat and we're considering getting another set cut to leave with a friend so we have a backup.

You can buy key/lock sets that are marked to not be cut. Most reputable places won't cut you a new key from them unless you have the master. Not foolproof by any means though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Because to cut security keys you need a code

ted1 wrote: »
    Because to cut security keys you need a code

Fair enough. I've never lived anywhere that had security keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sounds dubious to me - especially if it's just for a normal key

Could be the EA trying it on to get themselves an extra 50 quid - the idea being most will just pay it in the current climate as it's "only" another €50 on top of what? €1500+ maybe?... the landlord might not even be aware!

For some reason the "Wallet Inspector" scene from the Simpsons comes to mind.

Advertisement