Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father kills phone thief he tracked using 'Find My iPhone'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,275 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well at least the iPhone is safe, that's the important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Lose of driving licence, and subsequently his job as a driver, because he was blind in one eye ? Load of bollox.. I drive perfectly fine blind in one eye for years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

iMurder

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How the **** is that not self-defence? Just because he had a knife on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

His three sons (20, 17 and 16) were with him at the time of the incident and were also charged with murder, although their 'not guilty' please were accepted by the court.

:rolleyes:

Don't they employ sub-editors over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Should had been wearing his google glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Somebody buy that man a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Two f*cking idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Man that a bum deal for him because of some little scroat scumbag - I have to say I have sympathy for this guy

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

He went out with a knife, looking for trouble. It found him. If he'd taken the knife off the other guy after being injured, we'd probably be calling for him to get a medal. But he brought a knife to a knife fight. I don't even think he could try manslaughter, as the knife shows intent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

iPhone 6 coming out in September as well, should've waited to kill someone over that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

How the **** is that not self-defence? Just because he had a knife on him ?

Prob.

I'd imagine it would have proven there was some form of forethought from the defendant.

Carrying a knife just in case. You'd have to question that all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Why would anybody want to rob a sh*te iPhone anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

yupya1 wrote: »
    Why would anybody want to rob a sh*te iPhone anyway?

iDunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

this may sound callous, but it is one more scum bag off the streets that was making peoples lives a misery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Sorry for the bloke, but delighted for the thieving scumbag.

Self-defence, as far as I'm concerned, is doing what you can to get away from danger. The fact he brought the knife in the first place shows that he had in the back of his mind somewhere that he'd be using it. Even then, if he stabbed him once and ran away I'd consider that self-defence, stabbing him repeatedly until he's dead isn't though.

He should have contacted the police anyway, instead of using fúcking "Find my iPhone" to track down someone he suspected of stealing his son's phone, and who he thought may be a danger to him. That was the height of idiocy.

What was he expecting? "Oh yeah, here's the phone back, no problem", he brought the knife to threaten your man into giving the phone back, I guarantee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The Father was stabbed in the eye first, and while bringing a knife along is kind of dodgy, the fact that he was stabbed in the eye, kind of proves that he was right to be concerned.

The thief brought it on himself, he stole the phone in the first place, and instead of doing the sane thing and handing it back, he chose violence, and is now dead for his trouble. Hard to have sympathy for a thief who stole something than stabbed someone in the eye.

Having said that surely the Father should have went to the police, as opposed to playing vigilante. I don't think he is guilty of murder, as his attack only happened after he was stabbed in the eye, but still stupidity all round imho.

**EDIT**
    Just to add, looks like the court are right with "culpable homicide" verdict. The Father was hardly innocent in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Culpable homicide in Scotland is basically the same as manslaughter.

The argument from the prosecution was probably that while defending himself was justified, stabbing the man multiple times went beyond what was necessary.

We have the same concept of proportionate response here.

The guy is probably a hot-head anyway, went into a rage that someone had threatened his son with a knife and decided to take the matter into his own hands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He didn't just steal the phone though, he threatened your man's son's life, with a knife. Is there no mitigation for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

someone tell the Indo, it is 'pleas' not 'please'....

His three sons (20, 17 and 16) were with him at the time of the incident and were also charged with murder, although their 'not guilty' please were accepted by the court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

While he shouldn't have brought a knife I feel being stabbed in the eye is a clear sign that the person was trying to do some serious harm and killing him should be within self defence. Plus it looks like that he attacked first.
    At least it was the scumbag that died.

He didn't just steal the phone though, he threatened your man's son's life, with a knife. Is there no mitigation for that?

Still should have contacted the police, and if anything that suggests that he went for revenge as opposed to just trying to get the phone back without using violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not unless he took the action at the time the danger was present. Revenge killings/revenge attacks have no mitigation in law, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

Any eye for an iPhone, a tooth for a Bluetooth.

Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Apparently the dead guy's family have told him to sleep with one eye open in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Lose of driving licence, and subsequently his job as a driver, because he was blind in one eye ? Load of bollox.. I drive perfectly fine blind in one eye for years...
    There's probably a clause in the companies employee contract or the insurance contract that says the employee has to have good eyesight. Especially if he's driving a truck.

It would be different for a private individual driving a normal car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

geez, you'd think with the sons in tow he could have come up with a better excuse then 'stabbed him with the knife I brought myself'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Find my iPhone is shít, all you have to do is pop the simcard and the phone can't be found. I've had a few iPhones swiped and never located any of them. It's also really easy to reset an iPhone even without the passcode.

Advertisement