Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connectors on an OCZ powersupply?

Options
  • 06-08-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

I am trying to use an OCZ OCZ500SXS StealthXStream 500-Watt with a Gigabyte AMD motherboard:

MSI 970A-G43 AMD 970 ATX

OCZ OCZ500SXS StealthXStream

I have 2 problems:
    1) the motherboard has an 8 pin connector for power, but the OCZ only has a 4 pin connector? I believe you can use the 4 pin in the 8 pin connector leaving 4 pins open? Am i correct?

2) I am re-using an AMD HD 6870 GPU and it requires 2 6-pins connectors, the OCZ has only 1. I presume it is not a problem to create a 2nd 6-pin by using a converter fhat combines 2 4-pin molex to 1 6-pin?

I thought this would be standard but it is not? Why is that? Is there a way to avoid incompatibility from the description of the motherboard and/or power supply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, you can, but the 8 pins are there for a reason. I wouldn't be be putting any high wattage CPUs or overclocking with it. I think you can get molex adapters.

It's likely enough that the card will detect only having one pin. I think there's 6870s going around needing only one connector, but these were probably lower speed ones. The card may underclock itself if it doesn't have enough power. It's likely that it will boot though, from what I've seen in the past. You can get adapters for another one.

The PSU is an old model, hence not having modern connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

The CPU is an AMD FX-6300, TDP 95 watts. I think that should be ok.

I went ahead and put the 4-pin in the mother board (even the clip in the connector seems to be slightly towards the side of the 8-pin connector on the motherboard, as if it was deliberately allowing 4-pin too). And I converted 2 4-pin molex to 1 6-pin PCI-E connector for the GPU.

Everything came up first time but for some reason after about 5 minutes the video signal disappears, the fans continue to spin. I can't get the GPU signal back until a couple of minutes later and only for a couple of minutes. No idea what is going in, it is not unlike the symptoms I had a couple of weeks ago with my Intel mini-itx. I am going to try out some different GPUs to see what the cause is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's no problem to use a molex adaptor. Just use one that has the 2 molex to 6-pin, not a single molex adaptor. I use them all the time, as long as the specifications of the PSU are sound (that's the critical bit), there's no issue using those adaptors.

Advertisement