Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weary old legs

Options
  • 06-08-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi Guys, been a long time lurker here picking up useful stuff but now I'm asking for advice. Background is I've been cycling for the last 15 years, upto last year on a mtb but the gears were not right for road use so I purchased a road bike with flat bars which is much better. I'm 61 and work as a carer in a nursing home, 3x12 hour and 1x6 hour shifts per week spread over 7 days. According to my fitness tracker (and I believe it to be accurate) I walk about 15km on a long shift and 8/9km on the short one. In a week, inc the dog, my average walk is about 80km. My commute is a short round trip of 12km and in addition I try to get a couple of short spins in, I've two I do, one 20km and one 30km. My last one of 20km I did in 45mins at an average of 26km according to Strava, not really pushing myself, (it's on the flat) The last 1000km I did according to the bike computer, mix of commute and spins was an average of 21.5km. I reckon I do about 80/100km per week on the bike which I would like to increase. My problem is that my legs are getting worn out and I would like to get some power back into them. Should I be looking at diet? strength training i.e. leg work? Another thing that crossed my mind is footwear. I use trainers on platform pedals since I use my bike for a lot of things and using cleats might'nt suit (plus I'd be nervous of using them on my commute, D3 to city centre). Any pointers would be gratefully received and sorry for being so long winded.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Any idea what your typical pedalling cadence (revolutions per minute) is? If you have a low cadence and are thus pushing a higher gear then your legs will get tired out more quickly.

You could try cycling in a gear one lower than what you're used to but maintaining the same speed and see if it helps your legs feel fresher after a week.

I don't think clipless pedals would help with your legs feeling tired. They're nice to have but I wouldn't associate them with fixing that particular problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

quozl wrote: »
    Any idea what your typical pedalling cadence (revolutions per minute) is? If you have a low cadence and are thus pushing a higher gear then your legs will get tired out more quickly.

You could try cycling in a gear one lower than what you're used to but maintaining the same speed and see if it helps your legs feel fresher after a week.

I don't think clipless pedals would help with your legs feeling tired. They're nice to have but I wouldn't associate them with fixing that particular problem.

Thanks, that's one thing I picked up here a while back, I would have been a grinder rather than a spinner. I'm now using the gears more efficiently, changing as needed and that was a definite advantage. I reckon my cadence is around 70 rpm, maybe a little higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I'm on my feet most of the day at work, and find that it can really take it out of you. My husband is more tired now standing all day at work than when he was working as a bike courier. I changed the insoles in my shoes as have to wear the safety shoes I'm given, has helped a good bit.

Shift work is harder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

You might just need a rest!

Maybe try a week with no cycling and the tiniest amount of dog-walking you can get away with? Legs should feel a bit fresher after that.

It's great you have a regular routine and keep it ticking over and just go out and do your regular loops. But you could try and build in a pattern of having a step-back week every four to six weeks and maybe just mixing things up a bit more overall - the odd longer spin, the odd week with no spin at all, and maybe some work on flexibility, core stability etc (yoga, pilates, something along those lines). Keep your legs guessing what's coming next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

dusty207 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, been a long time lurker here picking up useful stuff but now I'm asking for advice. Background is I've been cycling for the last 15 years, upto last year on a mtb but the gears were not right for road use so I purchased a road bike with flat bars which is much better. I'm 61 and work as a carer in a nursing home, 3x12 hour and 1x6 hour shifts per week spread over 7 days. According to my fitness tracker (and I believe it to be accurate) I walk about 15km on a long shift and 8/9km on the short one. In a week, inc the dog, my average walk is about 80km. My commute is a short round trip of 12km and in addition I try to get a couple of short spins in, I've two I do, one 20km and one 30km. My last one of 20km I did in 45mins at an average of 26km according to Strava, not really pushing myself, (it's on the flat) The last 1000km I did according to the bike computer, mix of commute and spins was an average of 21.5km. I reckon I do about 80/100km per week on the bike which I would like to increase. My problem is that my legs are getting worn out and I would like to get some power back into them. Should I be looking at diet? strength training i.e. leg work? Another thing that crossed my mind is footwear. I use trainers on platform pedals since I use my bike for a lot of things and using cleats might'nt suit (plus I'd be nervous of using them on my commute, D3 to city centre). Any pointers would be gratefully received and sorry for being so long winded.
    Sorry if you think Im being cheeky but, get new knees!!!

Seriously, I agree with using gears better, I also recommed using drinks like high5 zero, the added electrolytes & magnesium will help preventing cramps(if that is what you mean by worn out). in regards to the SPD pedals for commuting I leave my left foot uncleated so if needed I can drop it, on spins I use both but unclip coming into built up areas.

Happy trails.

• Advertisement

You might just need a rest!

Maybe try a week with no cycling and the tiniest amount of dog-walking you can get away with? Legs should feel a bit fresher after that.

It's great you have a regular routine and keep it ticking over and just go out and do your regular loops. But you could try and build in a pattern of having a step-back week every four to six weeks and maybe just mixing things up a bit more overall - the odd longer spin, the odd week with no spin at all, and maybe some work on flexibility, core stability etc (yoga, pilates, something along those lines). Keep your legs guessing what's coming next.

That's something I've been seriously considering, thanks for putting it so well. It's just that with the weather being so nice it seems a shame to miss any of it. The joy of being out in the fresh air after a long slog in a hot building has to be experienced to be believed, brilliant!

Re my knees Bloggsie, no offence, they appear to be in good nick. The problem seems to be a weakness or lack of power in my quads. I know recovery takes longer the older you get so maybe the resting idea is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I reckon my cadence is around 70 rpm, maybe a little higher.

I'd consider that fairly low cadence. You could try raising it and see if it helps with how your legs feel the next day.

Everybody is different but the sort of thing that you're complaining about would be much more likely to happen to me cycling at 70 RPM than at 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

you have 20 years on me & I am bushed after my commute, 28kms in 1 hr 10-20 approx. I am doing a 100km cycle this weekend(must be nucking futs). I dont do nearly as much as you plus I sit on A**e in an office 8-5.30 5 days a week. Holey Moley I am serious bad shape!

quozl wrote: »
    I'd consider that fairly low cadence. You could try raising it and see if it helps with how your legs feel the next day.

Everybody is different but the sort of thing that you're complaining about would be much more likely to happen to me cycling at 70 RPM than at 90.

Just been out and I am around the 70 rpm mark. I was about 60 rpm on the mountain bike so it's a bit higher but I'll try and up it a bit and see how it goes. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I’m 64. I cycled a few times in early 2014, then stopped. I decided to cycle every day in August. I’m retired so can go out when I like. So far in August I’ve averaged from 20.9 kph to 23.2 kph on spins of 7 km to 30 km, not flat but not too hilly. The first two days were very wet. Today I did a slightly hilly 22km spin at 21kph.
    I use a road bike (also have a flat bar bike.) I use cleats.
    I visit a nursing home every week so have an idea of your work.

My thoughts:
    You are giving away 1kph to 2kph on a flat bar bike imo.
    Are your tyres pumped to ~100 psi using a track pump? Low pressure e.g. 30psi will lose a lot of speed.
    My best suggestion is you need to rest two days a week, so if you have days off work use them for rest (and bike maintenance.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭G1032

Just been out and I am around the 70 rpm mark. I was about 60 rpm on the mountain bike so it's a bit higher but I'll try and up it a bit and see how it goes. Thanks.

Thats a very low cadence. Try if you can to get it above at least 80. It'll make a big difference to you i'd say. .

Thanks diomed, good to hear you're back in the saddle and enjoying it. Us 60+ geezers need all the exercise we can get! And have fun at the same time. I'm happy with the flat bars since I'm in town a lot. I also keep the psi up around the 100 psi with a track pump, those smaller pumps are useless at high pressure. I'm going to follow the suggestions re rest days and maybe do longer spins on fewer days.

Thanks G1032, I'm going to try to hit the 80 mark, I was upping the cadence today to around that mark, practise makes perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Just a few things to keep in mind
    Rest
    Eat plenty, also after a work out u have a 1hour window to eat to help recovery faster
    Drink plenty of water during the day
    Stretch each day "this makes a world of a difference when I do this my self"

This can help in a small way, but all adds up.

Advertisement