Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I pay my Nephew as a Contractor

Options
  • 06-08-2014 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have a Limited Company and my Nephew (he's 15) has been doing some coding for me for the past few months. We've been working on a project and he's been helping out after school, at weekends, over holidays, etc. It's something he enjoys. At the time cashflow was bad so he agreed to be paid at a point in the future.

The company cashflow situation has recently improved and I would like to pay him for the work done to date. I have recorded all hours.

Can I treat him as a contractor and just give him a cheque ? or do I need to register him as an Employee of the company ? He's going back to school after the Summer and is heading into Exams so he won't be working for me in the future.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

webdevdude wrote: »
    I have a Limited Company and my Nephew (he's 15) has been doing some coding for me for the past few months. We've been working on a project and he's been helping out after school, at weekends, over holidays, etc. It's something he enjoys. At the time cashflow was bad so he agreed to be paid at a point in the future.

The company cashflow situation has recently improved and I would like to pay him for the work done to date. I have recorded all hours.

Can I treat him as a contractor and just give him a cheque ? or do I need to register him as an Employee of the company ? He's going back to school after the Summer and is heading into Exams so he won't be working for me in the future.

Will he register himself as a contractor and manage his tax exposure himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kitchenkid

you can give anybody a tax free gift of 3000 in any tax year - why don't you just give him a gift? I am presuming the amount would not be more than this limit.....then there is no need to think about tax and prsi etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

kitchenkid wrote: »
    you can give anybody a tax free gift of 3000 in any tax year - why don't you just give him a gift? I am presuming the amount would not be more than this limit.....then there is no need to think about tax and prsi etc.

Except that wouldn't be a gift. It's in respect of work. And it would be from the OP's own "after tax" funds.

The kid would be deemed employee - Contracting not really an option given the circumstances.

Just do it through payroll - There'll be no tax anyway.

Advertisement