Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC built around an AMD R9280x

Options
  • 05-08-2014 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to build a gaming pc and have decided to go with the following GPU:

Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Dual-X OC, 870MHz, 3GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, lite retail. €244.39

I decided on this because it is cheaper than the GTX 770, has 3GB RAM and seems to perform slightly better in any of the reviews I have read.

What I am looking for is somebody to suggest a good build to go with this gpu. I would like to get an intel i5 4670k but after that I am really unsure about Mobo, PSU, Case, Cooling etc.

I would like to keep the build to about €1,000 but am prepared to go a little over that if it means a much better build.

See below for a better idea of what im looking for, all help is much appreciated. Thanks.

1. What is your budget? Around €1,000 - €1,200

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming. Must have the ability to play all new game titles on highest settings.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No, I have a 42" full HDTV

5a. If yes, what size do you need?

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080, no.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard, mouse, wireless card.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not initially but wouldn't rule it out completely

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? North County Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I'd try get a 290 instead of a 280x as they're more future proof and would be within your budget. The one downside is you're using a tv. You'd probably want to change from the large tv as a high resolution monitor would get more from a 280x/290 and really show off the power of the gpu. A 270 or 270x would probably run ultra at 1080 resolution in most new games.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭al.

yimrsg wrote: »
    I'd try get a 290 instead of a 280x as they're more future proof and would be within your budget. The one downside is you're using a tv. You'd probably want to change from the large tv as a high resolution monitor would get more from a 280x/290 and really show off the power of the gpu. A 270 or 270x would probably run ultra at 1080 resolution in most new games.

I didnt know there was a big difference between playing on a HDTV and playing on a monitor? I will look into it but for now I will be playing games on a HDTV - would there be any point in upgrading to a 290 if a 270/270x will play games on ultra anyway?

al. wrote: »
    I didnt know there was a big difference between playing on a HDTV and playing on a monitor? I will look into it but for now I will be playing games on a HDTV - would there be any point in upgrading to a 290 if a 270/270x will play games on ultra anyway?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1043?vs=1068

The 290 will comfortably play games at very high resolution whilst the 270x would struggle beyond 1080 in some of the more demanding games at higher resolutions. Your tv is 1080 so you're not setting the bar very high also the pixel density will be pretty low as it's a 42 inch compared to a 24 inch monitor of the same resolution so it might look worse than it should be.

I'd get the 290 and look to get a high res monitor in the future so you can really appreciate your gpu, you could run a hdmi cable from the pc and use the tv as a secondary monitor if or when you feel the need to upgrade your rig down the line.

An alternative might be to aim for a less powerful and small form factor pc and not use up all your budget if you're determined to stick with the tv so it doesn't take up that much space. Speaking from my experience the resolution really does make a huge difference to your gaming enjoyment and having a second screen to watch netflix or a stream whilst gaming is a huge bonus.

The 290 will comfortably play games at very high resolution whilst the 270x would struggle beyond 1080 in some of the more demanding games at higher resolutions. Your tv is 1080 so you're not setting the bar very high also the pixel density will be pretty low as it's a 42 inch compared to a 24 inch monitor of the same resolution so it might look worse than it should be.

I'd get the 290 and look to get a high res monitor in the future so you can really appreciate your gpu, you could run a hdmi cable from the pc and use the tv as a secondary monitor if or when you feel the need to upgrade your rig down the line.

An alternative might be to aim for a less powerful and small form factor pc and not use up all your budget if you're determined to stick with the tv so it doesn't take up that much space. Speaking from my experience the resolution really does make a huge difference to your gaming enjoyment and having a second screen to watch netflix or a stream whilst gaming is a huge bonus.

Really hadnt considered a two screen set up but it would be quite useful as ill be using the pc as a gamer and the home computer. I will have a think about it.

You said the 290 would handle everything and the 270 would struggle so would a 280x be able for two screens and games on Ultra? It seems like a decent compromise.

I have my build on aanother thread here. I will play around and see if I can get a 290. If you get a chance to look at the build would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Al.

I've a 280x and it's able to play BF4 nearly all ultra on a 27 inch 2560 x 1440 monitor and have a smaller res 22 inch 1680 x 1050 as my secondary display. I game on the 1440 and use the smaller one for browsers and netflix. You'd want the same size monitor and resolution to game on two or more screens.

I'd a similar budget to you when I was making my build but if I was doing it now I'd look to get the 290 over the 280x as they're more powerful and would be better for the future as I could see games. Also 4k monitors are helping to lower the price of 1440 and ultra wide monitors like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4

A single 280x would struggle for the ultrawide but a single 290 would allow you to game very well on one of those ultrawide screens and mean you could upgrade your system very easily when funds allow.

• Advertisement

I've a 280x and it's able to play BF4 nearly all ultra on a 27 inch 2560 x 1440 monitor and have a smaller res 22 inch 1680 x 1050 as my secondary display. I game on the 1440 and use the smaller one for browsers and netflix. You'd want the same size monitor and resolution to game on two or more screens.

I'd a similar budget to you when I was making my build but if I was doing it now I'd look to get the 290 over the 280x as they're more powerful and would be better for the future as I could see games. Also 4k monitors are helping to lower the price of 1440 and ultra wide monitors like this:

A single 280x would struggle for the ultrawide but a single 290 would allow you to game very well on one of those ultrawide screens and mean you could upgrade your system very easily when funds allow.

I wasnt planning on playing over two screens but it would be good to have a second screen for netflix and youtube so will look and see if I can squeeze a 290 into the build. Thanks for the advice.

If u was going for the 290 is there anything I would really need to get with it such as a specific motherboard or increased psu or extra cooling or anything like that?

Thanks again for the replies.

al. wrote: »
    I wasnt planning on playing over two screens but it would be good to have a second screen for netflix and youtube so will look and see if I can squeeze a 290 into the build. Thanks for the advice.

If u was going for the 290 is there anything I would really need to get with it such as a specific motherboard or increased psu or extra cooling or anything like that?

Thanks again for the replies.

290 is hotter and louder than the 280x so make sure you've good cooling in your case and you'll be fine. I'm not too up to date with regard the latest motherboards, you'll need a good psu as the 290 likes it's power. A modular psu is also a plus as it helps cable management when you're assembling though if your case is large enough it's not that big of an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

R9 290 is the way to go if your budget is around 1200 I would say as well.

Also if you are not that keen on overclocking then get yourself a Xeon processor with a H87 motherboard. Xeon is same as an I7 without the overclocking capabilities and onboard graphics.

I would get a 600w powersupply, a 128GB ssd and 8GB of ram is more than enough.

Would do up a build but on phone at the moment.

Advertisement