Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Band - (Non Medical Advice)

Options
  • 05-08-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi

Without looking for direct medical advise, I'm just looking for an opinion on treating my tight IT Band. I can't decide whether to go for Sports Massage with Dry Needling, Physical/Physio Therapist or just stick with the trustworthy Foam Roller, which frankly doesn't seem to be hitting the spot. I don't really have the cash to fork out to the wrong person...............................................;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Rest. It'll heal itself when ready. I'm not a great fan of using the foam roller on the ITB. Mine only healed when I stopped using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭webpal

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Rest. It'll heal itself when ready. I'm not a great fan of using the foam roller on the ITB. Mine only healed when I stopped using it.

+ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Have rested up for last two and a bit weeks, went out today and it flared up again at its usual 3-4k, that's why I'm going to seek advice from a professional, just don't know which professional to visit..................:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Always needed about four weeks. Try a run/walk approach. 1 min on, 1 min off and see how you get on. Slowly build up. Stop and walk if it flares up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Have rested up for last two and a bit weeks, went out today and it flared up again at its usual 3-4k, that's why I'm going to seek advice from a professional, just don't know which professional to visit..................:)

With regards a foam roller just remember that there is only about 1% contractile force in the ITB so make sure to work on the TFL (google will show you where this muscle is) and the glutes to free up any adhesions in the area.

Also dry needling is a modality for treatment but the main thing would be to find someone who comes well recommended having a background in treating these sort of issues as opposed to their qualifications as you will come across good an bad practitioners in all fields

If you post up general location I am sure that people can recommend someone in your area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

ecoli wrote: »
    With regards a foam roller just remember that there is only about 1% contractile force in the ITB so make sure to work on the TFL (google will show you where this muscle is) and the glutes to free up any adhesions in the area.

Also dry needling is a modality for treatment but the main thing would be to find someone who comes well recommended having a background in treating these sort of issues as opposed to their qualifications as you will come across good an bad practitioners in all fields

If you post up general location I am sure that people can recommend someone in your area[/QUOTE

Based in Limerick so any suggestions appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I have been using heat a lot recently for niggles (recommended by my physio who had some machine to make huge heat packs). I got two microwaveable bean bag neck pillows. I put them against whats sore wherever I need them. I put them for 5 mins and then move them to another area. Makes a huge difference to me. I used to use the sauna a lot but I find this just as good and they are only about 7 euro each in the chemist. Worth a try also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

If its not going away you could have some weakness/imbalances somewhere. Do no harm to go just get an assessment rather than a treatment, physio or physical therpaist would be fine. Had an iffy Itb myself for a while and although I did gt an elbow into the Itb the real cure was glute strengthen exercises and trying to activate my vastus lateralis more.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

It had ITBS for the first time after Portumna 50k.

After 6 weeks of slow 5ks (wearing knee support helped me) and twice a week exercises (http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/) it is gone. :)

I also did some stretches as in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI1uUQv7u1k

Took me a while to discover what worked for me.

I am now back to full training but will incorporate the exercises once a week for prevention.

Good luck.

Advertisement