Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross training workouts during injury?

Options
  • 05-08-2014 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Anyone willing to recommend some specific cross training workouts to maintain fitness during injury? I.e.: not just an activity, but timing, intensities, heart rate, cadence, purpose (delete as appropriate).

This seems not bad, if a little vague on what the purpose of the various workouts are:
    http://m.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/back-plan?page=single

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

cianc, i was going to start this very same thread.
    nothing more to add.:pac:

i did try to pool jogging, joined a class, went twice. you would want to be motivated to keep at it.
    found the spinning a bit more appealing, def think it raised strength in legs,
    you would get the heart rate up without the impact.

i also tried an elliptical, personally found it good, but was advised by a runner that it was bad, cant remember why.

but afraid there's no way to train for marathon bar running.

i await reply's telling me i'm wrong, hoping i am..

sorry not really answering your question, that link looks handy for keeping up fitness when one has completely stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

jfh wrote: »
    cianc, i was going to start this very same thread.
    nothing more to add.:pac:

i did try to pool jogging, joined a class, went twice. you would want to be motivated to keep at it.
    found the spinning a bit more appealing, def think it raised strength in legs,
    you would get the heart rate up without the impact.

i also tried an elliptical, personally found it good, but was advised by a runner that it was bad, cant remember why.
    This rings a bell too. I think it had something to do with form, but I didn't find it very convincing at the time, and it wouldn't bother me for short periods of training during injury recovery anyway.
    but afraid there's no way to train for marathon bar running.

i await reply's telling me i'm wrong, hoping i am..

sorry not really answering your question, that link looks handy for keeping up fitness when one has completely stopped

Might as well keep throwing links here as I find them. I'll probably try and summarize what I find in a few days when I get a chance:

Elliptical workouts for runners: http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/training/elliptical-workouts-for-injured-runners_62498/3

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

After reading a bit more, I think I'm overcomplicating things. The basic principles for using cycling and elliptical training as supplements/replacements for running seem to be:
    • Try and keep the same cadence whether on bike or elliptical trainer (probably aqua jogging too, didn't really investigate) as running. So 90-100RPM. Use increased resistance/incline to increase work rate.
    • Judge effort on heart rate. It's the only realistic way to compare effort across multiple activities and randomly calibrated gym equipment.
    • Try and recreate your running workouts in terms of duration, heart rate, repetitions etc on the elliptical trainer. This may also apply to the bike, see the next point.
    • You need 50% more time on the bike at the same heart rate to get the "equivalent stimulus" as a run. No idea if this is true, or what "equivalent stimulus" means, but it came up in one or two places. Anyone know?

Advertisement