Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBMC getting a new name - Kodi

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well, it's not so much that it had legal issues (I don't think anything was brought against them), they just couldn't trademark it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

They were wide open for legal issues with the XBMC name, it's a change that needed to happen. I quite like the name Kodi, hopefully they pick some nice branding

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Ibetit

Kodi Kodi, Like a girl's name

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

I suspect that this is in preparation to make it into a commercial product that will be sold to the highest bidder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

degsie wrote: »
    I suspect that this is in preparation to make it into a commercial product that will be sold to the highest bidder!

No, it's do they can stop the name being abused. Check Donedeal and see all the cheap POS media players being marketed using the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I saw the yatse remote control app had its name changed to the yatse xbmc/kodi remote in the playstore and i was about to do a google search to see what this kodi platform was, but now i know.

Dont know about anyone else on here but i will always refer to it as xbmc.

Old habits die hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Anyone know what improvements/new features Kodi V14 will have over XBMC 13/Gotham? I know it's the next development phase but for the life of me I can't see an easy to understand explanation anywhere as to what the new version is going to deliver Vs 13/Gotham.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Pretty easy to understand highlights here.

TLDR; They're saying it's more of a stability release so nothing too exciting in the way of new features for most people.

For me the most interesting thing is the introduction of FFmpeg 2.2.4. which means h.265 and VP9 support. No hardware support for either of these that I know of yet so that's more interesting for the future, but still good to see it included.

A more complete list of features is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

pug_ wrote: »
    Pretty easy to understand highlights here.

Thanks pug, I don't know why I didn't see that page during my search!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

leemaree wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the place to post this but if u buy a smart tv with Kodi on it, do u need an android box? Am I right saying that Kodi has all the Irish and UK TV channels and movies?

By default no. Asking how to access illegal content will get this thread locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Did the above post get mis-placed?

This is a 2 year old thread and the post quoted does not exist in this thread.

So it seems the above post might somehow have gotten misplaced by the forum software?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Did the above post get mis-placed?

This is a 2 year old thread and the post quoted does not exist in this thread.

So it seems the above post might somehow have gotten misplaced by the forum software?

No, I deleted my post as I wasn't suppose to ask that question as the this thred wil b closex

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Another one bites the dust.

Given that this was an old thread anyway, I'm closing it to avoid any other "Lazarus" resurrections ��

Thread Closed.

Ritz

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement