Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding photography packages??

Options
  • 05-08-2014 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,
    We are currently researching wedding photographers and would like to know what the most common package would be and the differences involved. Is there much of a difference in regards a 10x10 traditional album with 50 photos, 12x12 storybook or contemporary with 80 photos or a 12x16 rectangular album with 100 photos. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

The difference is all in the description. the 10x10, 12x12 and 12x16 are just physical dimensions in inches. Get a few A3 sheets of paper and a ruler and measure them out.

The size will often determine the layout of the photos. For example, the reason a 10x10 is described as 'traditional' is that most of the pages will have 1-2 large images, which is a very classic way of doing it. The larger sizes allow a bit more room for creative maneuvering, so you'll often see more of a collage approach with smaller images surrounding a central image (example, you might have a picture of the bride getting her makeup done and a series of small shots of makeup brushes, her glass of champagne, flowers etc). The number of photos follows the album size, as obviously the larger your pages the more images you'll fit in.

Let me know if you've any other questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

When we were looking at photographers there was no standard package or price. They varied widely from €1000 to €3000 and each included different aspects, so it's really hard to tell.
    Think about what's important to you, and look at a lot of their stuff online and in albums to make sure it's the style you want, and then work out what's the best value.
    About half the photographers that quoted us don't include any albums in their standard package - that's something you decide after, or even do yourself.
    The biggest place people used to get caught out, but doesn't happen so much any more, is photographers who don't give you all the photos on disk afterwards (happened to my sister only a year ago). That way you need to pay them for every individual print you want afterwards, and you get fleeced!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

kkcatlou wrote: »
    When we were looking at photographers there was no standard package or price. They varied widely from €1000 to €3000 and each included different aspects, so it's really hard to tell.
    Think about what's important to you, and look at a lot of their stuff online and in albums to make sure it's the style you want, and then work out what's the best value.
    About half the photographers that quoted us don't include any albums in their standard package - that's something you decide after, or even do yourself.
    The biggest place people used to get caught out, but doesn't happen so much any more, is photographers who don't give you all the photos on disk afterwards (happened to my sister only a year ago). That way you need to pay them for every individual print you want afterwards, and you get fleeced!!

I've always given a disk out myself, but there's more reasons than just money-grubbing that lead to a photographer not giving out a disk of images. The main one is that images in people's homes or albums that are shown proudly tend to be one of the best advertisements a wedding photog can have. For this reason it's actually bad practice to hand out high res images for other people to get printed. I've seen framed images on people's walls with absolutely shocking colours that I've been told came from such and such a photographer, only to find out that the photographer gave them a disk and they went off to the local fuji lab with it and ended up with rubbish prints. I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask which photographer took the (otherwise lovely) pics, but I'd bet I'm the first who actually took the time to find out that the photographer wasn't at fault for the rubbish print.

Sounds silly, but something small like that could genuinely cost someone work.

Advertisement