Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai Raids On Pubs

Options
  • 05-08-2014 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Ok so I work in a bar and have been raided a few times, now when I say raided they knock on the door and tell us to quieten down and to start clearing out.
    Last night I was in a new pub in town and they seem to get raided each night, now I thought it was similar to us in they get told to close up and thats it. But it was a lot more aggressive in there was 8 off them and they flanked the bar and came in the front and back door with asking for names and IDing everyone, taking till receipts etc like it was half 1 and all but walking home there was other bars still going tbh our own place doesnt usually close till 4ish.
    My question is are raids like this everywhere our are they just told to close up shop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Just like 1920s Chicago all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

The Vikings did something similar in Clonmacnoise in the 8th century. But no ID taking ......... just nuns and gold

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

The Gardai are raiding pubs in Sydney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

astonaidan wrote: »
    Ok so I work in a bar and have been raided a few times, now when I say raided they knock on the door and tell us to quieten down and to start clearing out.
    Last night I was in a new pub in town and they seem to get raided each night, now I thought it was similar to us in they get told to close up and thats it. But it was a lot more aggressive in there was 8 off them and they flanked the bar and came in the front and back door with asking for names and IDing everyone, taking till receipts etc like it was half 1 and all but walking home there was other bars still going tbh our own place doesnt usually close till 4ish.
    My question is are raids like this everywhere our are they just told to close up shop

In Sydney?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They must be getting some mileage allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

They lost a laptop enroute.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Where the hell do you live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

They lost a laptop enroute.

They sold a laptop in a whorehouse in Amsterdam to pay for services. Why don't you spit it out man?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Tell the Gardaí to feck off OP.

If its 4am in Sydney its only 5pm here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

So long as no one was smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

G'Day Garda, what seems to be the problem?

biko wrote: »
    G'Day Garda, what seems to be the problem?
    You've no barbecue lishense, and the tax is out on dat shurfboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

Did the conversation go a bit like this:
    Chief Wiggum: Gee, I'd hate to close you down. Maybe we can reach a little, uh, understanding here.

[holds out his hand]

Homer: [monotone] I understand.

Bart: Um, hey, Dad, I... I think he wants...

Homer: Not right now, Son. Daddy's talking to a policeman.

Chief Wiggum: Uh, let me put it this way. I'm looking for my friend Bill.

[glances down at the cash box]

Chief Wiggum: Have you seen any Bills around here?

Homer: No.

[points to Bart]

Homer: He's Bart.

Chief Wiggum: [groans] Listen carefully, and watch me wink as I speak, okay?

Homer: Okay.

Chief Wiggum: The guy I'm really looking for, wink,

[winks]

Chief Wiggum: is Mr. Bribe, wink, wink.

[winks twice]

Homer: It's a ring toss game.

Chief Wiggum: All right, that's it. I'm shutting this game down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Where'd you pinch the hooch, rummy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Well that back fired spectacularly, Im home in Ireland for a while before moving on again,
    In all seriousness though what would Gardai raids be like in small towns around the country?

Well that back fired spectacularly, Im home in Ireland for a while before moving on again,
    In all seriousness though what would Gardai raids be like in small towns around the country?

That's what happens when you start a thread and wander off. They need to be minded, like a little puppy.

I would Google the name of my boss and see if is linked with the words "Known by", Major", "associate","Crumlin", or "ex-property developer",

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The junior coppers will settle for free drinks and invites to the lock-ins. The more senior tend to be cash in hand merchants. A superintendant usually involves the pubs clubbing together and getting him a nice continental holiday.
    They'll do a raid or two to look good on paper but they should notify you in advance if they're looking to stay in business. Always beware a new sheriff in town - it can take time (a week or two) to break in an idealist.*

*(c) Newcastle West "How to Handle Your Guard" manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The pub you were in is likely owned by someone known to the Gardai. It's what they do when someone seemingly goes 'legit' with a new business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The junior coppers will settle for free drinks and invites to the lock-ins. The more senior tend to be cash in hand merchants. A superintendant usually involves the pubs clubbing together and getting him a nice continental holiday.
    They'll do a raid or two to look good on paper but they should notify you in advance if they're looking to stay in business. Always beware a new sheriff in town - it can take time (a week or two) to break in an idealist.*

*(c) Newcastle West "How to Handle Your Guard" manual.

Ive a copy of the Cahirciveen manual , covers areas like Valencia , Portmagee , Knightstown .

Ive a copy of the Cahirciveen manual , covers areas like Valencia , Portmagee , Knightstown .

They're mainly the same content. The Rathkeale edition has a bumper Christmas special chapter (The Homecoming).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I spent many a wasteful Friday night hoovering back pints in a pub in a town down the sticks. It was always known as a pub where a punter with a thirst could arrive for a few refreshments without fear of a knock on the door. There was a long gaggle of punters sitting at the bar one night smoking and drinking like it was about to become illegal. Closer to midday than midnight. A knock on the door. Deathly silence. A minute of acceptance and small talk. A lad with a hat arrived in.

He asked us what was our business being in a public house at such an hour. He then asked us had we no homes to go to. The atmosphere changed. People were looking for exits. Lads staring into their pints like the problems of the world could be solved by analysing the head of it.

Turns out your man was a lad after getting off a bus after a U2 gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The flamin mongrels, Bruce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

The pub you were in is likely owned by someone known to the Gardai. It's what they do when someone seemingly goes 'legit' with a new business.
    Nah the lad is from a family who owns a hotel in the town and runs a hotel in the neighbouring county,
    It could be cause there was fighting there recently :confused: still think a little over the top

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I suppose it depends on the amount of complaints a place gets. Like, a pub right next door to a lot of apartments/houses would probably get more complaints than a pub in the middle of the country or a city centre where folks who are sleeping are not disturbed. Or maybe the pub in question is renowned for trouble, while the other pubs never have trouble?

Nah the lad is from a family who owns a hotel in the town and runs a hotel in the neighbouring county,
    It could be cause there was fighting there recently :confused: still think a little over the top

On a semi-serious note....those arrangements with the cops are real. Violence and spillovers into the street are never part of the "understanding".
    That explains the heavy handed raid. With two hotels in the family, he should know that. He does now.

Advertisement