Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting limestone pavers

Options
  • 05-08-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I recently laid a patio in part of my back garden using indian black limestone pavers from roadstone (2"x2'x2'). I had bought a 7" angle grinder from lidl (or aldi can't remember which!) with a combo pack of cutters. After experimenting with the cutters I found only one of them really did the job, and that was a diamond cutter.

I found this cutter only cut one paver before becoming too blunt to cut effectively. Luckily I only needed to cut two pavers for this project so this was ok. But for my next patio project I will want to cut many more pavers to fit the area.

Is it normal for a cutter to only cut one paver? What cutters should I buy?

Would a 10"/bigger angle grinder work better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

A diamond blade should last much longer. Buy a decent quality blade and you'll be sorted. I bought a bosch 9" blade for my grinder and its cut some amount of concrete/cement/blocks etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I've a diamond disk on my grinder that I've had for years - I think it was Lidl. It's cut lots of concrete, stone etc.

The trick is to let it work at it's own pace, not to force it into the cut. You can resharpen them with a metal grinding disk, around the outside of the disk take little notches out of the disk, no more than a mm deep, no more than 2 between each expansion slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

OP, do you know was it a wet or dry disc you were using?
    Lidl/Aldi were selling both in packs, and a wet disc will not last without coolant ie. water flowing on the item being cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jackgeek

Definitely a dry disk

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mlekelly

I will be starting a limestone patio soon and will be laying it myself. The design has a lot of curves on it so I won't be just cutting the pavers in straight lines. It is a big patio with curves hence I want to do it myself (slowly) and save money.
    Is it practical to be able to cut curves on limestone pavers with an angle grinder and can anyone recommend a good grinder and disk which could do the job - Don't mind spending money on the grinder as will have projects coming down the line where I could use it too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement