Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture Magnet

Options
  • 04-08-2014 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm having a nightmare time cycling and looking for help!

Got a bike a while back and got a few punctures so thought that gator skins might help. Nope! Worse! I'm getting punctures every 2nd of 3rd time out, even over small ~15k trips

I'm able to get 80psi and not very much more from my big hand pump or regular pump

From what I read, looks like my tyre could be the issue (700c x 23)

I've read that x25 would probably be better for my weight ... 105kg (~230lbs)

Should I go get 700c x25 or am I mad? 2mm seems like very little and I just spent €70 on 2 gator skin tyres.

Anything I can try? Looking to use the bike mainly for a 10k each way reliable commute to work!

This is my bike:
    http://touch.adverts.ie/road-bikes/viking-road-bike/3360991

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The bike make/model has nothing to do with it, I'd say your problem is that your tyres are under inflated for your weight and your getting pinch flats. You need to get 100psi or above into your tyres so I suggest you buy a quality track pump (with gauge) and see how that goes, if your using repairs tubes I'd also recommend replacing both them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

CJC999 wrote: »
    I'd say your problem is that your tyres are under inflated for your weight and your getting pinch flats. You need to get 100psi or above into your tyres so I suggest you buy a quality track pump (with gauge) and see how that goes.

^^

This will go a long way to resolving your puncture problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

I've over 3000km done since my last puncture
    110psi in rear and 100psi in front
    Get a track pump

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gatorskins are not going to be the problem if you are frequently getting punctures - they are about as puncture resistant as you can get.

Do you ride very close to the kerb? There's much more crap you may pick the nearer you are to the kerb as that's where motor vehicles will tyically send stuff that's thrown up by their wheels

When you get a puncture do you check the tyre to remove any foreign objects? You should ideally check them regularly regardless as foreign objects can penetrate the outer skin but it may take some time for them to work through to the tube. Hence you could have picked up a load of small pieces of glass some time ago that are slowly working their way through the tyres

Are you typically getting punctures in one tyre rather than the other? If so that could indicate a problem with a rim

You definitely need to get more pressure into the tyres, and as already mentioned you ideally need a track pump for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Thanks guys for all the replies!

This is what I have, but, I really can't get any more than about 85psi from it. The pump literally wont push down any more ... Maybe the keyword is quality, but this wasn't overly cheap either (€20 if I remember)

IMG_1860.jpg

The reason I bought gatorskins is because I thought the puncture was from the road. I did check the inner tyre and wheel rims after every puncture and that's why im confused as I have never found any debris to cause a puncture

I cycle in the cycle lane and close-ish to the kerb when there's no lane. My punctures are not exclusive to one wheel either! Front and back!!

Also, are pinch flats necessarily 2 small holes in the tube? Never had more than 1 small hole in the tube at any point

Thanks again guys! :) ... appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes - pinch flats look like a snakebite - 2 small holes.

Can you bring back the pump for exchange. Any track pump should be capable of reaching 120psi as a minium requirement.

85psi is not enough. I'm 30kgs lighter than you and wouldn't venture out with less than 120psi.

The width of the tyre shouldn't matter regarding punctures although a 25mm tyre will be a bit more comfortable.

Gatorskins would be one of the most puncture resistant tyres available. Have you checked if the punctures are on the inside (wheel side) or outside (tyre side) of the tube?

Gatorskins would be one of the most puncture resistant tyres available. Have you checked if the punctures are on the inside (wheel side) or outside (tyre side) of the tube?

Good point. Can check! ... Should a pump give you resistance going up to 120? I expect a little but mine wont budge at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It will be harder to push down for the last bit. It should move though.

You do have the valve open right :D

I use an aldi track pump and it reaches 120+

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It will be harder to push down for the last bit. It should move though.

You do have the valve open right :D

I use an aldi track pump and it reaches 120+

It goes to 70 with very little effort. then it gets a bit of a slog till 85 or so then literally nothing will move it

valve is open :D

Maybe my arms aren't strong enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Are you 100% sure its a track pump, like below?

beto-steel-track-pump-gauge-24675.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

That red pump is exactly like the one I have, got from Halfords. Mine pumps to 120psi no problems. A bit harder towards the end but only vaguely so. I'd bring it back to where ever you got it and change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I've seen track pumps do some peculiar things when switching from presta (road bike) to schrader (like a car valve) valves and back again. My own pump seems to get "stuck" in one mode or the other, so when you switch over you can't get much pressure into the new type valve. Covering one of the nozzles with your thumb and pressing down the pump handle seems to reset it back to normal.

Other than that, I'd guess the nozzle isn't locking into place correctly (pull the lever up when positioned), or the nozzle isn't seated far enough onto the valve, or maybe you just need to tap the valve spigot (presta valve) before attaching the nozzle to unstick it.

darkvalley wrote: »
    That red pump is exactly like the one I have, got from Halfords. Mine pumps to 120psi no problems. A bit harder towards the end but only vaguely so. I'd bring it back to where ever you got it and change it.

Thats exactly where I got it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Got the joe blow pump in halfords my self, cost about 40 or a little over but good pump. I weigh about 95kg at the moment but this can go up to 105kg in no time when not watching my diet. I pump the back to about 110psi and front a little over 100psi on 25mm tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

I've the same pump myself. It definitely hits 110psi anyway, haven't gone further than that. I do remember having trouble pumping a wheel before. As long as I push the valve down after loosening it I've no problem pumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

I have this exact pump and have no real problem getting 120psi from it. Mind I really need to put my full weight on it to get 120. Don't be afraid to put your full weight down on the pump

Advertisement