Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain gear

Options
  • 04-08-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

What's the best rain gear out there for cycling keeps rain out yet is light and breathable?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from the training logs sub-forum

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you want the best look no further than Assos - they have range of lightweight gear that does the job perfectly - pricewise though you may be a little hesitant ....

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

Gore Bike Wear, Castelli, Sportful... all depends on your price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Rather than wearing rain trousers to keep out the rain - lidl do a set of lycra "tights" to wear under shorts. They will get wet but they dry quickly.

Better to just let the rain wet you in clothes that won't bother you when wet than to try and seal yourself up in wet gear which inevitably leaves you damp and sticky with sweat.

If it is permeable to water going out it is going to be permeable to water coming in.

Having said that i do tend to wear a waterproof top if I am cycling in teh rain, especially if i am heading up to the mountains. I don't mind the wet but the cold can be a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I love the Altura stuff but I find the BBB stuff grand for overshoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Rapha rain jacket is the best one I've tried (have tried a good few) and is on sale at the moment. Their overshoes are meant to be good too. Have the Endura Equipe ones and they are pretty good. Opted for Sealskinz this morning as it was warm and the rain was bouncing off the road. I use cheap waterproof trousers for commuting, got them in Millets.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The problem I have with rain gear is you build up a sweat very quickly and end up soaked anyway through sweat. As Fian says, just wear clothes you're happy to get wet in, then hang them up to dry when you get to your destination. On a rain day from the gym to work I just wear a pair of MTB shorts and a jersey. Throw it up on the hangers in the changing room over the rad, and then shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The montane velo is the best rain jacket ive used.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

.ak wrote: »
    The problem I have with rain gear is you build up a sweat very quickly and end up soaked anyway through sweat. As Fian says, just wear clothes you're happy to get wet in, then hang them up to dry when you get to your destination. On a rain day from the gym to work I just wear a pair of MTB shorts and a jersey. Throw it up on the hangers in the changing room over the rad, and then shower.

I'd have to echo this. As an avid anti lycra man though I just wear lycra shorts. They dry quicker and you don't really feel it when they're wet.

Advertisement