Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sax Wedding Introduction

Options
  • 04-08-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm wondering is there is anyone out there that plays the sax in the connemara area that can play she moved through the fair. We want it for the bride coming down the aisle. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Bumblee Honey have a sax player, and as far as I know, are based in Galway. Google them and you should find them. They do packages that include the full day or just part of it. Not sure if they do the church, but I'm sure they would if you asked. We're having them for our reception.

Also going with She Moved Through the Fair (on the whistle though) for going down the aisle, have gotten some strange reactions. I think it's fab!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭usher1890

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Bumblee Honey have a sax player, and as far as I know, are based in Galway. Google them and you should find them. They do packages that include the full day or just part of it. Not sure if they do the church, but I'm sure they would if you asked. We're having them for our reception.

Also going with She Moved Through the Fair (on the whistle though) for going down the aisle, have gotten some strange reactions. I think it's fab!!

I think its great - its a real haunting song but it would make the hairs on your neck stand up on the day!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Presumably because it's about a bride who died before the wedding day!

I think it's a great song, but I wouldn't think it's a wedding song at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Is there a reason you want it played on the sax? It's a beautiful song but much more suited to a trad instrument like a tin whistle/flute/fiddle/harp.

Dolbert wrote: »
    Is there a reason you want it played on the sax? It's a beautiful song but much more suited to a trad instrument like a tin whistle/flute/fiddle/harp.

That's something you'll have to ask the bride lol

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Make sure you hear it played by whoever you get before the big day. See what sort of saxophone they're playing it on. I'd probably work alright on an soprano sax, but if it was alto or tenor it'd just sound weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Toots* wrote: »
    Make sure you hear it played by whoever you get before the big day. See what sort of saxophone they're playing it on. I'd probably work alright on an soprano sax, but if it was alto or tenor it'd just sound weird.

And the Boards.ie award for 'Username Best Fits The Subject Matter Of The Post' goes to....

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If the ceremony is in a church, have you cleared that with the priest? Might be acceptable on a tin whistle or a fiddle but I'm not so sure about a sax.
    Agree with the poster who thinks that its a strange choice for a wedding, but not as strange as Hallelujia.

Faith wrote: »
    Presumably because it's about a bride who died before the wedding day!

I think it's a great song, but I wouldn't think it's a wedding song at all.

I didn't realise she died, I thought they just couldn't get married because they were from different classes?!

As it's just instrumental, I don't see it as unsuitable for a wedding march. I think it is the kind of tune that makes your skin stand on end and calls everyone's attention!!

I also can't imagine it with a sax, but definitely worth asking and looking if that's what you want!

The third verse describes the bride's death, possibly by suicide.

The people were saying no two were e'er wed
    But one had a sorrow that never was said
    And I smiled as she passed with her goods and her gear
    And that was the last that I saw of my dear

In the last verse she appears to him as a ghost/vision

I dreamt it last night that my young love came in
    So softly she entered her feet made no din
    She came close beside me and this she did say
    It will not be long love 'til our wedding day

I've always thought of it as a funeral song for that reason.

• Advertisement

I didn't realise she died, I thought they just couldn't get married because they were from different classes?!

As it's just instrumental, I don't see it as unsuitable for a wedding march. I think it is the kind of tune that makes your skin stand on end and calls everyone's attention!!

I also can't imagine it with a sax, but definitely worth asking and looking if that's what you want!

Oh, I don't know what all the fuss is about 'suitability' with instrumental music for weddings. A tune is just a tune. Clarke's trumpet voluntary (Prince of Denmark's March) is often used. No sacred connotations. No secular either. In fact, it's not even certain it was written by Clarke. Some attribute it to Handel. Mendelssohn's Wedding March was written as incidental music to the Midsummer Night's Dream. Likewise, Wagner's Bridal Chorus is from a secular Opera. It'd be interesting to see the reactions to a priest refusing to allow any of those three be used based on their secular impropriety. She Moved Through The Fair is a pleasant melody, if a little hackneyed (sorry!). Can't see where the problem would be. The Clarke, Mendelssohn and Wagner are pleasant tunes, and they're allowed.

^Aye, but are they specifically about a bride who dies before the wedding day? :pac:

In general I agree with you though, I've played lots of instrumentals at weddings over the years and most were just nice tunes. In this case the far bigger issue for me would be the choice of instrument, that song would just be woeful on the sax (sorry OP).

^Aye, but are they specifically about a bride who dies before the wedding day? :pac:

In general I agree with you though, I've played lots of instrumentals at weddings over the years and most were just nice tunes. In this case the far bigger issue for me would be the choice of instrument, it would just be woeful on the sax (sorry OP).

Depends on the sax player, I suppose. Ken Edge, yes. Zoot from the Muppet Show, probably not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The third verse describes the bride's death, possibly by suicide.

The people were saying no two were e'er wed
    But one had a sorrow that never was said
    And I smiled as she passed with her goods and her gear
    And that was the last that I saw of my dear

In the last verse she appears to him as a ghost/vision

I dreamt it last night that my young love came in
    So softly she entered her feet made no din
    She came close beside me and this she did say
    It will not be long love 'til our wedding day

I've always thought of it as a funeral song for that reason.

It's typically sung as 'my dead love' also.

It is a lovely song, and the instrumental will sound well, but I just wouldn't be comfortable with it myself! I find the last verse a bit unnerving as it seems to imply the the singer will die soon too (to me, anyway).

Just read the wikipedia explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_Moved_Through_the_Fair and it definitely doesn't end well either way (she either died or ran off with another fella). Still not putting me off the tune though! It is instrumental after all!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you're going to have a saxophone player at your wedding, they don't come any better than this guy:

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭tommythecat

This guy is good too i hear

http://youtu.be/dHv3ll6Wrvs

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

endacl wrote: »
    Depends on the sax player, I suppose. Ken Edge, yes. Zoot from the Muppet Show, probably not.

It'd still be a serious song/instrument mismatch IMO.

Now if the OP's bride wanted to walk down the aisle to this, I'd be on board:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Here Comes The Trio

Have to agree with the other posters when they describe it as a song/instrument mismatch.

It's an okay choice of song if you're happy with bit and you didn't ask for opinions on the music! I do think though that
    A) traditional music on a saxophone will be very strange and
    B) a saxophone in a church is not pretty. Saxophones are SO. LOUD. I would really suggest considering either having a traditional instrument do it or at a push, a clarinet instead, or else pick a different song for the saxophone.
    You're probably not going to change your minds but most people here agree it's a strange choice so PLEASE hear them play it first!

When is the wedding? I know two sax players in Galway so could pass on their details.

I found a video of it being played on the sax on youtube

It kinda reminded me of the theme tune to Law & Order. OP, not knocking your choice of music, but have either of you actually heard this played on a saxophone before or does your OH have a sentimental reason for wanting it but has never actually heard of it.

As Here Comes The Trio said, saxophones are loud, and the acoustics in a church will only amplify the sound even more. I've played the clarinet in a church, and while it is quieter than a sax, there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Here Comes The Trio

Toots* wrote: »
    I've played the clarinet in a church

Just when I thought Toots couldn't get any cooler :')

Just when I thought Toots couldn't get any cooler :')

Lol, yeah I snuck in after hours for a jam session! Just kidding, it was a concert that just so happened to be in a church, it was very handy cos we didn't need a sound system, the building did all the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,772 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

"She Moved Through the Fair" is a song, ie a poem that is set to a tune.

Seeing as you are looking for an instrumentalist, not a singer, that means you are wanting to use the tune, not the words. so I don't see a problem there.

What's kinda handy is that the tune doesn't have a name, and that bits of it are very old. The song has a name, ie SMTTF. But when talking to the priest etc you can just call it "Traditional Irish tune, don't know the name" - and it's even better if your musician can embellish it a bit so strictly speaking you didn't lie!

I think it would sound fine on a soprano sax, anwyay. (Maybe not the deeper ones). I do know know a sax player in Galway, who does play a little trad which sounds fine. (And he plays a lot more not-trad, too.) I don't have a number for him, or know if he does weddings - but can possibly track him down if you want (PM me). But I'm sure there will be a few others out there too.

What have I started lol! It's like this really, I'm not bothered what the song is about - the tune is great. The problem being the bride would like something played on a sax coming down the aisle and I would like that song. I understand it is a mismatch but would really like to see it for ourselves first. The only video we can find is the above which isn't great. Likewise we are not getting married in a church so I don't have to worry about pleasing a priest!

usher1890 wrote: »
    What have I started lol! It's like this really, I'm not bothered what the song is about - the tune is great. The problem being the bride would like something played on a sax coming down the aisle and I would like that song. I understand it is a mismatch but would really like to see it for ourselves first. The only video we can find is the above which isn't great. Likewise we are not getting married in a church so I don't have to worry about pleasing a priest!
    You should totally have this then! :D T'would be the grooviest wedding of all time. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Calmsurrender

usher1890 wrote: »

If played on an Alto sax it could take on a kind of Uileann pipe-y sound/style which would suit the song. Depends on the player though I guess.

Good luck with it anyhoo

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭NedLowry

Am I the only person who thinks the OP's idea has serious sax appeal?

NedLowry wrote: »
    Am I the only person who thinks the OP's idea has serious sax appeal?

Get yer coat!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I love saxophone, I really do. But I also love this video, and don't know why I think of it every time I see this thread, but I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKy0SP8ScAk

• Advertisement
Advertisement