Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actuarial Science

Options
  • 04-08-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi everyone who just finished their leaving cert, anyone out there who's applied to it and hoping to get in and any thought's on how it's going to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pajc

Im hoping to get in. Hopefully too many didnt apply

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Kadiv

What do you think points are going to be for this year?

Id say 565 but anything less would be great

let's hope I suppose did you do the applied maths? if you did was the test really hard for you and do you think they might make the marking easier based on that this year?

It wasnt available in my school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 LC12395

It's my first choice on the CAO, I feel sick waiting for the results now. Fingers crossed! I really want to get it. Where in the country are you from?

limerick you? do you know anyone who works as an actuary because I really just put it down because it was a high ranking job at the end... soooo... do you know if it is actually hard to get a job after we finish the course... sorry packing a lot of things in here... UCD right?

I'm from Dublin. I don't know anyone first hand, but my mam's from Limerick and one of her friends there has a brother and sister working as actuaries in London. They qualified years ago so it was a lot different for them than it is now. Before they had to get an A in maths and then started working with an insurance company straight after the leaving cert. They love their jobs, and are making huge money :) One of them was able to take a year off from work no bother to go travelling. The exams are supposed to be tough but once you've them out of the way it's meant to be one of the best jobs to have. From what I've heard most people have a job before they finish college due to the work experience element. So I don't think ending up long time unemployed will be a problem :D And yes I've picked UCD!

sounds awesome! thanks for the info I find it really hard to research on just actuaries and how their work is but what you posted was really useful! Thanks! :) well results permitting see you there! :P. Do you know anything about the accommodation I heard that the good places will be gone in the first 5 mins is that true?

Sorry I haven't a clue about accommodation since I live in Dublin and will just be getting the bus each day. I think there's a waiting list or something but I really don't know. Best of luck with the results! I'm so nervous for them :)

• Advertisement

that's fine I didn't remember that you said you were from dublin... my fault... good luck to you too! :) I'm guessing points for getting in aren't going to be over 570 in the worst case sooo.... good luck!

Im from Limerick too. I know two brothers who are both actuaries. One is just out of college and the other has one exam left. The pay is very good and the job seems to be enjoyable. They both got work very easily so Id imagine employment wont be a problem.

results in two days the wait is almost over :D. Do you know anything about the booking of on-campus accommodation I was placed at 3078 in UCD so I'm not sure I stand even the slightest of chances of getting a place...

So how'd today go? :)

Great! Got 615 you? Now I'm stuck between medicine and actuarial science let's see what comes up I suppose

Congratulations :) I got 575. Which did you put as your first preference on the CAO? You do realize that they are two hugely different things...? If medicine is your 1st choice would something more closely related not have been a better backup? I'm sure you'll get whatever you want anyway.

I really don't know what I'm gonna do having tooo many options can be bad as well I suppose :D. Congrats on your results :)

I up actuarial science as my first but I got medicine in other countries

I only got 550 so I guess its DCU for me

:D you seem disappointed that's an awesome result!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement