Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age for Godparents

Options
  • 04-08-2014 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi im 30 weeks pregnant and am trying to decide on godparents - We have the godmother sorted we think but we really want to have our oldest son to be godfather and am just looking for advice as to what the minimum age for a godparent can be in the catholic religion - he is 14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

I was 13 when I became my nieces god mother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Well bang goes my potential godparents from that article or actually most of them tbh!
    'Uses birth control'
    "Living common law" (cohabiting!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi im 30 weeks pregnant and am trying to decide on godparents - We have the godmother sorted we think but we really want to have our oldest son to be godfather and am just looking for advice as to what the minimum age for a godparent can be in the catholic religion - he is 14

I am nearly sure it depends on your parish. We were told the minimum age is 16. I know a few different people who were godparents at 13, 14 and 15 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭LoopyLolly88

When my son was christened last year my priest said they have to be 16 or over but I think it could depend on your priest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Well bang goes my potential godparents from that article or actually most of them tbh!
    'Uses birth control'
    "Living common law" (cohabiting!)

You are familiar with Catholic doctrine? Surely your preferences would be for godparents who agree with the rules of Catholicism? If you're a Catholic that is, and plan to indoctrinate your child in the faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I am very familiar with Catholic doctrine and am a practising catholic, however, like many others, there are certain things I do not consider appropriate or reasonable, both are listed above. Cohabiting is crucial to developing a relationship that will last through marriage without issues. There are far too many couples who stayed together only because of marriage and it was to the detriment of both them and children involved. Had they been permitted to live together and see how compatible they were before they married a lot of heartache could have been avoided. It isn't even necessarily against the bible as such, its the immoral behaviour that often happens when living together that is the problem. Birth control, apart from being a possible medical necessity, prevents children being born that are not planned or parents cannot care for. Again rather than crippling a newly marriage couple financially or otherwise I personally feel that birth control can be a valid choice.

I'm not going to turn this thread into a debate about catholic doctrine, these are my own personal opinions. I am by no means the only practising catholic who does not agree with these two rules and in this modern age it would be very difficult to find anyone my age who does not break one or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

I think (I'm not sure) that as long as they have the sacraments of baptism, communion and confirmation they can be any age. So in Ireland that's probably around 12/13 - usually made when child is in 6th class. In England and other countries they make their confirmation later than us.

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    I think (I'm not sure) that as long as they have the sacraments of baptism, communion and confirmation they can be any age. So in Ireland that's probably around 12/13 - usually made when child is in 6th class. In England and other countries they make their confirmation later than us.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P2Y.HTM

2/ have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause;

It's up to the Bishop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My eldest daughter is my youngest son's Godmother.. she was 13 at the time. I had no issues, questions or problems, I was never asked her age and neither was she so I reckon unless you make it an issue it won't be one.

As for the 'rules' of Catholic Doctrine.. well I'm sure there's a few priests and bishops who don't follow the rules 'religiously'... In fact I'd say it's more a case these days of do as I say not as I do .. I do remember being out with my showiz sister in law in a nightclub in Dublin a few years ago.. bumped into the parish priest of the next town over.. It was a gay club if I remember correctly.. I wonder what part of the Doctrine that's in.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The only people who follow every rule in any religion are called fundamentalists... To be avoided and discouraged for sure!

I became a godparent for the first time at age 11. I think maybe the best thing to do is run it past the priest, or sacrament group if there is one. We spoke to the baptism preparation team when they popped in about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

pwurple wrote: »
    The only people who follow every rule in any religion are called fundamentalists... To be avoided and discouraged for sure!

I became a godparent for the first time at age 11. I think maybe the best thing to do is run it past the priest, or sacrament group if there is one. We spoke to the baptism preparation team when they popped in about it.

Is it fundamentalist to follow the rules? Or just being true to what you call yourself?
    I think sex before marriage and contraception are fine. That's why I don't call myself or my children Catholic. It's a cop.out to say "well I think these rules are stupid and I don't know anyone who follows them so lets just act like they don't matter". Why bother being in the club if you don't agree with or follow the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 calendarqueen

I was made a godparent at aged 13. As far as I know, the official rule is that once you have made your confirmation, you are allowed to be a god parent.

I was made a godparent at aged 13. As far as I know, the official rule is that once you have made your confirmation, you are allowed to be a god parent.

The official rule is what has been set out in cannon law I even quoted the exact section and it is 16 or over with all the other rules being confirmed etc. But and the big but is the local bishop can set an age lower but only in his area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

lazygal wrote: »
    Is it fundamentalist to follow the rules? Or just being true to what you call yourself?
    I think sex before marriage and contraception are fine. That's why I don't call myself or my children Catholic. It's a cop.out to say "well I think these rules are stupid and I don't know anyone who follows them so lets just act like they don't matter". Why bother being in the club if you don't agree with or follow the rules?

Can we stay on topic please?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My mother had twins when I was 12 and my sister was 10. We are both godparents to one of the twins (a different one each), with my mother's cousin and her husband being the other godparents. I'd already made my confirmation, so there was no issue. For my sister the local priest said that once the godfather was an adult it was OK for her to be the godmother. This was over 30 years ago when things would probably have been stricter, so I'd suggest you just talk to the priest and see what he says.

Advertisement