Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go to see my first musical in London.Best way to book tickets.

Options
  • 04-08-2014 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

I am planning to go to London to see Matilda but what would be the best way to go about it.I been to london before when I was a kid but would be my frist musical. Should I book with one of thoes web sites that offer hotel & tickets deals or book a hotel fly over early the day and go down to the box office. I am planning on leaving Thursday morning see show that night and come on Firday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Matilda is still in high demand so you'll need to book well in advance. Use seetickets.com rather than ticketmaster, their booking fees are lower and you get better seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

athtrasna wrote: »
    Matilda is still in high demand so you'll need to book well in advance. Use seetickets.com rather than ticketmaster, their booking fees are lower and you get better seats.

By well in advance do mean you a month or two or more.

mach1982 wrote: »
    By well in advance do mean you a month or two or more.

As soon as you can. Because it's family friendly it tends to book more heavily and have more children in the audience than any show (Lion King has been running so long the demand isn't quite so high)

So would a budget of 500 including tickets hotels flights and other bits be enough

So would a budget of 500 including tickets hotels flights and other bits be enough

You're going for one night, though flying back on a Friday which is a peak travel day. Still I think you should be able to do it around that for one night for one person. Check out the Tune hotels, they are well located and decent for the price.

Matilda tickets are pricey, think I paid about £80 or more. Don't skimp if you can afford not to, the better seats are worth the money. Use theatremonkey.co.uk to check out reviews of your seat number before booking.

Though if you're going just to see the show consider a matinee trip, I do a few a year. 8am flight to Gatwick, 9pm flight home. Do something in the morning, lunch, show, dinner and home. Half the price. I prefer midweek to Saturday matinees as the football crowd aren't pushing flight prices up.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    You're going for one night, though flying back on a Friday which is a peak travel day. Still I think you should be able to do it around that for one night for one person. Check out the Tune hotels, they are well located and decent for the price.

Matilda tickets are pricey, think I paid about £80 or more. Don't skimp if you can afford not to, the better seats are worth the money. Use theatremonkey.co.uk to check out reviews of your seat number before booking.

Though if you're going just to see the show consider a matinee trip, I do a few a year. 8am flight to Gatwick, 9pm flight home. Do something in the morning, lunch, show, dinner and home. Half the price. I prefer midweek to Saturday matinees as the football crowd aren't pushing flight prices up.

Didn't think of that. What is the transport like? Can u get a train from airport?

Didn't think of that. What is the transport like? Can u get a train from airport?

I fly Ryanair to Gatwick. Get the SouthWestern train from the airport into Victoria (it takes about 10 minutes longer than the Gatwick express and costs half the price). I usually get a ticket that includes a one day travelcard on the tube (about £15 if you pre book) so can get around London for the day on that too. Tube from Victoria to wherever you want to go.

If you go to a midweek matinee you should be able to pick up return flights for under €50. I usually pay around €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

I also fly to Gatwick and get the train into Victoria. Avoid the Gatwick Express and instead prebook a ticket on Southern Rail which is much cheaper.
    I would also recommend buying an Oyster card to use on the buses and underground.

For most shows go to the TKTS booth in Leicester Square or try the box office around half an hour before the show starts to see if they'll sell you a thicket at standby rate. For Matilda you need to prebook and pay full price months in advance. Even after all these years Lion King doesn't discount its tickets. It constantly draws in the tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

An oyster card is a must now that you cant pay on buses anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Well I think there are machines at the bus stops you can buy tickets from but an Oyster card is much handier.

And I forgot to say make sure it's the official TKTS booth you go to as it's run by the Society of London Theatres, not one of the many ticket resellers in the area which charge very hefty commissions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement