Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importance of explanatory notes

Options
  • 04-08-2014 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I was rummaging through a box of stuff I've accumulated over the years while researching the family and found an old notebook of mine from several years ago now, on one page is one line "check the Hospital Saturday Fund". I've never heard of it, and I have no idea why I wrote it down but having Googled it, it looks like it is a health insurance fund. Perhaps my parents had such a fund. Without any explanatory note I don't know why I wrote it down. :o

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a specific fund, now called HSF Health Plan I believe, which many working people would have contributed to weekly particularly in the early years of work. I doubt their records are available though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Despite my best efforts I still occasionally come across references that I either can't explain or can't find a source for.
    But as part of a general overhaul I've been working on of late I've made a few changes that should see that happen less often in future.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

In my early years researching I made a lot of stupid mistakes but have learned a lot over the years thanks to the internet, Boards, courses etc. Its hard to keep on top of everything especially as my mum/wife/housekeeper roles keep getting in my way (in the nicest possible way of course)! The guys I know who do genealogy never seem to have these interruptions! :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Hermy wrote: »
    Despite my best efforts I still occasionally come across references that I either can't explain or can't find a source for.
    But as part of a general overhaul I've been working on of late I've made a few changes that should see that happen less often in future.

I am in the process of going back over all entries in my family tree to make sure that all documents and photos are attached and all citations are complete. It is a really boring tedious job (I am at person 150 out of 1850) but it has to be done. Sometimes when I get "on a roll" and find lots of info on a particular branch of the tree I just add it to the tree (because thats the most interesting bit). Then months later I am trying to figure out how I knew those people were related. Sometimes I don't look at the tree for weeks at a time and it is amazing how much you forget. I am also making notes of things to follow up on and where to start each time I get back to my research. I guess you learn the hard way!

Advertisement