Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Phoenix Park Dublin

Options
  • 04-08-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all, is parking still available and free in the Phoenix Park?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What time in the morning would it be full up by ? I can see a race developing between the Phoenix Park car parkers and the Hueston station train commuters to lay their hands on the supply of Dublin Bikes every morning. The car parkers will have the advantage there if they know what time the main commuter trains get into Hueston and just beating it every morning. They could likely clean out most of the bike stations before train commuters even arrive in the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Surprised that the OPW haven't put P&D up there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What time in the morning would it be full up by ? I can see a race developing between the Phoenix Park car parkers and the Hueston station train commuters to lay their hands on the supply of Dublin Bikes every morning. The car parkers will have the advantage there if they know what time the main commuter trains get into Hueston and just beating it every morning. They could likely clean out most of the bike stations before train commuters even arrive in the station.

A lot of the park parkers, seem to bring their own bikes. Which makes more sense IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ste.obrien

Is this still the case? Is it possible to park in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Ste.obrien wrote: »
    Is this still the case? Is it possible to park in the morning?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There might be restrictions this week, a fella from Argentina is visiting...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maradona?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭horse7

Thought it was an April's fool joke when I heard the minister of state in charge of the phoenix park on the pat Kenny show this morning, pay for parking in the park, https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/opw-bring-parking-fees-phoenix-26725633,, Crazy,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

A consultation has opened on Parking Strategies in the park = let's go for paid parking

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think it'd be fair to have a 'first hour/three hours free' system.

would allow people visit the park as an amenity, but not use it for P&R.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Seems like a reasonably balanced report. I was worried that this would be an anti-car strategy and while it does look to promote alternative means on transport options for accessing the park, it acknowledges that there is a need to keep car parking in the Park but try to improve usage of the different car parks so as to avoid congestion in some of them.

Personally I'd be in favour of limited parking charges in the Park for stays of over 3 hours to discourage the car parks being used for commuter parking (maybe something like 0-3 hours free / 3-5 hours @ €3 / over 5 hours @ €10). It would of course require enforcement which is always the weak part of things here in Ireland.

Should add that I say this as somebody who uses my car to access the Park.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well if they start charging for parking, then usually enforcement takes care of itself, as usually the charges more then pay for the enforcement.

They put paid parking in up in the car park in Glendalough and it seems to work well. Person at the gate to the car park takes the payment and they have plenty of security in and around the car park. Given how busy Phoenix Park is, I've no doubt it would pay for itself and they could make it work.

The problem though in the Phoenix Park is that there are 17 various car parks and parking areas. Enforcing them all could be a bit of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

Irish Rail and Luas both have paid parking. They have more than 17 stations over a much larger area than Phoenix Park. If OPW introduce paid parking, it will almost definitely be contacted out to one of the private parking enforcement companies.

True but some of the spaces in the PP don't actually have gates or barriers. I'm probably overthinking it. Maybe just the installation of parking meters and charging signage would work for the most part, backed up by enforcement for those who don't pay appropriate fees.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, Dublin City Council operate "car parks" like this, like along Clontarf. No gates or barriers, just pay and display or parking tag. It is enforced by parking wardens who patrol the car parks and issue fines to those who don't pay or overstay what they have paid.

I'd see this being much easier to enforce given the 17 car parks, in a relatively small area. Sure you might not catch every last car, but that isn't really the point, it would be easy enough for them to catch people who park there all day and don't pay.

In the DCC car parks, they often only allow for a max 3 hours stay, in order to avoid folks using them as commuting parking. Patrol the car parks at 10am, note the cars present and check again at 2pm and fine any still there. You can use license plate recognition to make it easier. Also DCC also make parking free at weekends and bank holidays in these car parks.

Basically the idea isn't to punish or discourage people from using the park, but too discourage long term parking by those not really using the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭horse7

Irish rail & Luas provide are service providers and have no comparison to the phoenix park.

Irish Rail and Luas both use the same contracted third party, APCOA to manage and enforce their car parks. No reason why the OPW couldn't contract the same company or similar to do the same for them.

The OPW who manage Phoenix Park already operate paid parking at other locations they manage like Glendalough, so it isn't anything new to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's bizarre that Europe's biggest Park is also Dublin's biggest free Car-park, just doesn't make sense... It has to be made a paid parking only area, otherwise all tax payers nationally are paying for Park roads maintenance and costs of all motoring related infrastructure....

it's not europe's biggest park; IIRC it's the largest walled park in a capital city in europe. take away the walls, or the capital city criteria, and it's not the biggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Commuters use a small stretch near the Peoples Garden for all day parking as with another stretch along the Garda HQ at the back of the Zoo. The two cricket pitches are also used. OPW currently at war with verge parkers up by the Furry Glen, the S bends, the Ordnance Survey and outside the designated parking at the Papal Cross. I think they've given up the ghost on the Polo pitch area generally due to demand from the Zoo. With no shuttle from Heuston what can people do? Btw on a happier note I checked out the walled garden in Farmleigh yesterday. Very nice. Wonder will the Red Bridge over the Liffey ever be linked up to the Park...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

A correction probably not needed but thanks anyway! 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

My memory is a but hazy on the N2 bus route, I know buses would not be able to negotiate the Cabra Gate but why could they not use the Ashtown Gate?

Advertisement