Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

butt to wheelie bin

Options
  • 04-08-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

See insert on butt- pic

Have hose will connect on at insert

Where do I connect to on wheelie bin?
    A b or c. Have tap will connect to bottom of wheelie bin tomorrow
    Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

a normal butt has the hose connected at the top so that the water fills to the top. Also as far as I know the hose has a fitting that stops the intake of water when the butt is full otherwise your bin is going to over flow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

See insert on butt- pic

Have hose will connect on at insert

Where do I connect to on wheelie bin?
    A b or c. Have tap will connect to bottom of wheelie bin tomorrow
    Thks

For a straightforward link you could connect a pipe to A using a normal toilet cistern ballcock float inserted internally in the wheeliebin so that when the bin fills the float goes to the horizontal position and closes the connection (stops overflow) - I am also presuming the water butt has an overflow connection with the down pipe?

To drill use a drill bit slightly smaller than the ball cock fitting - scew threaded pipe thru hole and use washers inside and out to provide a water tight seal either side of the ballclock threaded pipe (it is fairly obvious once you take a look at one.)

Alternatively connect at C and use a floating ballcock - available at Agri Co OP stores etc

You may have to play around with washers / sealing nuts to get good fit but any decent hardware will have a good supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

water creates its own level so along as the hole is below the overflow you are fine. though if I were connecting two I'd go at the lowest level. so then water is being drawn or added to both butts at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Connection is best approx. 10mm below level line. Position 'A' looks too high (will not fill), you need to drop it down to 10mm below level line. Fitting a ball cock is a good idea but not necessary if you daisy chain the connection correctly as described above. You will also need to a connection at C, so that both butt and bin drain simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

I have a wheelie bin I bought pre-wheelie bin days that now I cant use as a bin - can I get a kit to connect it to a down pipe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Connection is best approx. 10mm below level line. Position 'A' looks too high (will not fill), you need to drop it down to 10mm below level line. Fitting a ball cock is a good idea but not necessary if you daisy chain the connection correctly as described above. You will also need to a connection at C, so that both butt and bin drain simultaneously.

Ya its connected to drainpipe and works perfectly I had thought if I connect from butt to bin at A ish, when water filled to that point it would stop filling as the water would then cover new entry point and butt would work as usual ??

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Hey paddy, how did you get on converting the bin to a water butt,

Is it working OK? And can you upload any new pics please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Didn't bother going to buy another butt and connect daisy chain.

Advertisement