Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining women's hockey

Options
  • 04-08-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi. I work and live in south Dublin, I am in my 20s and would be interested in joining a hockey team. I have not played before so I would have to start from scratch. Due to work commitments I could only join a team where training commences sometime from 7:30pm onwards. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Below is a list of all the clubs in Ireland. There is plenty of choice in that area and most, if not all, will have evening training times to suit your schedule. Any more questions just shout.

http://www.hockey.ie/clubLocator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Are there any teams in the dublin area that would have a fair amount of beginners / beginners team ?

I joined a team last year but most had been playing for years so I was often left on my own to do drills etc and there were no matches for me to play so it was pretty boring after a while

The likes of Pembroke (Dublin 4) or UCD would be a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

Pre season training will be starting very soon (if not already), usually towards the end of this month so try contact some clubs this week. :)
    Its very important to try get into this first, especially if you have never played before. It usually focuses mostly on fitness, and the rest on skill. You can develop your skill over time, but if you dont build up some fitness it can hamper your chances of getting games.

I used to play in Pembroke 9ths and then 8ths. I wish I could still play myself but the hours I work and distance travelling work against me so I gave up about 2/3yrs ago.

I hadnt played since I was 16 and I was 28 when I joined the club!

As you have never really played before, you should check out Leinster division twelve and 11 clubs as they might accept beginner players.

So youre looking at
    UCD 6ths or 7ths
    Rathgar 4ths
    Pembroke W 8ths (Ballsbridge)
    Three Rock Rovers 4ths (Near Marlay Park)
    Trinity College 4ths

Good Luck and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

hockeygirl wrote: »
    Pre season training will be starting very soon (if not already), usually towards the end of this month so try contact some clubs this week. :)
    Its very important to try get into this first, especially if you have never played before. It usually focuses mostly on fitness, and the rest on skill. You can develop your skill over time, but if you dont build up some fitness it can hamper your chances of getting games.

I used to play in Pembroke 9ths and then 8ths. I wish I could still play myself but the hours I work and distance travelling work against me so I gave up about 2/3yrs ago.

I hadnt played since I was 16 and I was 28 when I joined the club!

As you have never really played before, you should check out Leinster division twelve and 11 clubs as they might accept beginner players.

So youre looking at
    UCD 6ths or 7ths
    Rathgar 4ths
    Pembroke W 8ths (Ballsbridge)
    Three Rock Rovers 4ths (Near Marlay Park)
    Trinity College 4ths

Good Luck and enjoy!

Thanks for all the info !

Just wondering also what the general age range would be for these teams ?

I ask because the team I played with before, in their lower div teams most of the players were mostly still in school.
    As I'm kinda figuring while I'm learning a new sport and getting fit I'd like to meet new people too and for there be a good social aspect to it.

Also one last question ! I know I said Dublin but would North Kildare be suitable for a complete beginner would you know ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

Hey :)

http://www.leinsterhockey.ie/league/82859/ladies_division_twelve
    here is a link for leinster div. 12. Theres a club called North Kildare. I wouldnt know anything really about that club but its worth a shot!

Honestly in most clubs you will get a real mix of young and old.

When I played the ages were from 22 - 38! :) Age didnt matter at all. Dont let it get to you if your team mates are a bit younger.. it should make any difference and you certainly wont be judged.

Im 32 myself and If I can I might get back into it again.

I can say for certain in Pembroke (where I used to play) there was a great mix and plenty of social events. I wish I could tell you about the other clubs but I honestly dont know.

Here are the details for Kildare North
    http://www.leinsterhockey.ie/contentPage/326581/north_kildare_h_c

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Also one last question ! I know I said Dublin but would North Kildare be suitable for a complete beginner would you know ?

Below is a link to the North Kildare club site. It's located half way between Maynooth and Kilcock. I don't know if you know that area but if you drive to Kilcock from Maynooth taking the University road, it's on the left hand side of the road half way between the two towns. You can't miss it. It's in the middle of countryside. You will see the hockey and rugby pitches from the road.

They have a beginners orientated team looking at the site. See the new members section on the site.

Club site

• Registered Users Posts: 3 effy363

Hey I was just wondering how I would go about becoming a kids hockey coach? I've played since I was 8 and I'm from cork and I play with college now. Any info would be appreciated!

effy363 wrote: »
    Hey I was just wondering how I would go about becoming a kids hockey coach? I've played since I was 8 and I'm from cork and I play with college now. Any info would be appreciated!

You will need to join a club with under age teams. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Ice e hockey or field hockey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 dcmma

Hi,
    Did you find a hockey club? I play for Guinness Ladies in Iveagh Grounds in Crumlin. It's a smaller club with 2 teams (Division 6 and 11) and we have absolute beginners and you will get to play matches and not left on the side lines. Guinness is a very diverse club with most players from outside Dublin that have located in the D8 and surrounding areas.. We have players from Cork, Tipperary, Westmeath, Tyrone, Waterford, Sligo, Limerick, Galway, Wicklow, Laois, Germany, Italy, Nigeria etc!..and Dublin of course! We are mostly 30's, some 20's and 40's. Best bunch of girls i've ever met! Our Pre-season starts next Wednesday 5th August 2015.. the season itself starts the end of September! If you're interested let me know I can arrange to meet you before if you wish!

dcmma wrote: »
    Hi,
    Did you find a hockey club? I play for Guinness Ladies in Iveagh Grounds in Crumlin. It's a smaller club with 2 teams (Division 6 and 11) and we have absolute beginners and you will get to play matches and not left on the side lines. Guinness is a very diverse club with most players from outside Dublin that have located in the D8 and surrounding areas.. We have players from Cork, Tipperary, Westmeath, Tyrone, Waterford, Sligo, Limerick, Galway, Wicklow, Laois, Germany, Italy, Nigeria etc!..and Dublin of course! We are mostly 30's, some 20's and 40's. Best bunch of girls i've ever met! Our Pre-season starts next Wednesday 5th August 2015.. the season itself starts the end of September! If you're interested let me know I can arrange to meet you before if you wish!

Great to hear about the club. Might be a good idea to drop the OP a PM on this, as the thread is very old.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Suebee

Contact the IHA (www.hockey.ie) about doing a course - check out their website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

You won't have to look far to get info if you're playing with college . Phil who coaches your ladies first team is the man to go to re coaching courses.

Advertisement