Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short sighted solutions

Options
  • 03-08-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

This may be a very silly question. I'm doing my first Triathlon in September and I'm pretty shortsighted. I was wondering what do other people do, at the moment I swim with prescription goggles, but I'm a bit worried about leaving my specs with my bike in case they get damaged. I was wondering whether to get contacts for the whole lot. The downside is wearing them in a river and possible contamination, the upside is no worried in transition and I can wear sunnies if it's a bright day.

Any advice and sharing of experiences would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I saw a guy wearing glasses for the swim in my last tri. No goggles so must've been doing the breast stroke or dodgy front crawl.

If you leave you helmet upside down on your bars and your glasses inside they shouldnbe fine. I usually leave a pair of glasses there if its sunny.

Where's the tri? Good luck with it and try not to over think it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I'm pretty short-sighted and wear glasses for day to day stuff. I pool swim with normal goggles and open water with contacts.

In a tri the simplest solution in transition is nearly always the best. I always go for contacts, daily disposable types. No faffing in transition, if your goggles break or are forgotten you can always borrow a pair, and you've the option of holding an ice-cool expression with some branded shades on the bike and run. I just feel more in "race mode" with contacts.

The only risk really is of getting the goggles knocked off and the lenses washed out. This happened to me once in one eye, I continued anyway, a little more slowly on the bike! At least with dailies it's not too expensive if it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I generally swim blind - no contacts etc. Follow people's feet. Leave glasses in bike helmet upside down.
    Wouldn't try think about them getting damaged. Put the glasses in helmet left upside down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm blind without my glasses and do all my swims with normal goggles. For tri's I either hang my helmet upside down off my bike with my glasses inside or I put them into my shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

daily disposable contacts - have used them for years and never had an issue. Glasses would not work for me in a race as if i am on the tribars on the bike my head is slightly tilted downwards and to look up the road i in effect have to look over the top rim of my glasses which means i am not looking through the lens of the glasses and therefore very short sighted!

• Advertisement
Advertisement