Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool kit for building first bike

Options
  • 03-08-2014 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm planning on building a road bike for the first time.
    Currently I only have basic tools for fine tuning etc. I'm looking to get a proper tool kit as I am hoping to do vast majority of maintenance at home.
    Anyone done similar and able to recommend a decent starter tool kit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Built one a couple of weeks ago and the only tool I borrowed (from the lbs) was the headset press. After that it was all Allen keys. Granted the bb30 bearings were already in the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

If it's a carbon bike, get yourself a torque wrench and a copy of the Park Tools blue book. While you are at it, a Park Tools cable cutter-essential piece of kit to cut cables and outers properly without crushing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

A long threaded bar with some washers would do as press if your only going to need one occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Cheers. It's non- carbon.
    Cable cutters a good call. Do I need a specific tool for JIS square taper BB? Or could I 'manage' with something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Special tool is best. See if you can borrow one as you might not get much use from it afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ckeego wrote: »
    If it's a carbon bike, get yourself a torque wrench and a copy of the Park Tools blue book. While you are at it, a Park Tools cable cutter-essential piece of kit to cut cables and outers properly without crushing them.

A sharp large Knipex snips (or any other high quality brand) works just as well. The cable cutters are over rated. And at least you'll use the snips form other odd jobs..

Mycroft H wrote: »
    A sharp large Knipex snips (or any other high quality brand) works just as well. The cable cutters are over rated. And at least you'll use the snips form other odd jobs..

I don't agree

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ckeego wrote: »
    I don't agree

Never a problem cuttings outers, cables be them Shimano, Camapnolo or Jagwire. Decent tools are worth it.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Never a problem cuttings outers, cables be them Shimano, Camapnolo or Jagwire. Decent tools are worth it.

I found that even with decent sharp snips that either the cable would unravel or the casing would be slightly crushed and can impinge the cabel.

With the Park Tools cutter, this didn't happen and there is a nice crimp on the tool also for cable end crimping..

Used it on Jagwire last week and the cable run and shift are perfect.

Any of the mechs I talk to will swear by a decent cutters-I visited that Knipex web site and some of the cutters look very similiar to the Park one!:) Impressive tools!

Advertisement