Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small cheap and silent for movies and photo editing

Options
  • 03-08-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I just moved into a tiny room where space is at a premium and I dont have the space for me current machine which is below. I've been toying with the idea of building something small like a matx or micro atx machine. My current rig doesn't always cut it either for lightroom which I would use frequently, I think it's just a lack of ram though. Current rig spec:

Antec Solo
    Crucial HX 520 Modular psu
    AMD Athlon II X3 440
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (H.D.T.) 120mm P
    ASUS M4A87TD/USB3, AM3, ATX
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz Ripjaw Series CL9 (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit
    GeForse 8800gts
    64GB Crucial RealSSD C300
    Samsung EcoGreen F4 2000GB
    Sony AD-7260S-0B 24
    Akasa card reader
    xfi elite pro
    Asus wifi card

It's about 4yrs old and could do with an upgrade I think.

I'll probably keep the SSD and use it as a temp drive for photo's, the 2tb will also be kept. Would be nice to keep the card reader but I don't see many/any cases with space for one. Would also like to keep the sound card as I use it with my receiver

1. What is your budget?
    I'd like to say 400 or less but I doubt that will happen, something with enough power to last another 4yrs for as little as possbile is the aim

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Photo editing (maybe video editing some day) 3D Modelling (Revit Architecture) HTPC Internet music, movies

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    SSD, 2td Drive, sound card and wifi card

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? I may look into a wireless mouse/kb combo

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [End of this month/early next month]

I also want this to be virtually silent, that probably one of my main requirements besides spec that will last another 4yrs.

So a quick spec list

HV20T446DE Intel Core i5-4460 Tray 152,28 €
    HV1140MZDE MSI H97I AC, Sockel 1150, ITX 99,74 €
    HV30NO59DE NOCTUA NH-L9i 39,57 €
    HV203V14DE Silverstone SST-SG06B-Lite Sugo USB 3.0 - schwarz, benötigt SFX-Netzteil 47,01 € [Have used this case before on a friends build and like the size of it]
    HVR302BSDE be quiet! SFX POWER 2 300W 47,73 €
    HV12SEV1DE Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 120GB SATA 6Gb/s 64,99

Total value: 451,32 €

I've not added RAM, I think I am right in saying I can use my current 8gb? 16gb dual channel seems to be around 140euro for 1600 or 1333 low voltage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Anyone? That lost look ok, anywhere it can be improved on?

Advertisement