Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI helping women to get home safely at night..

Options
  • 03-08-2014 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

..by giving them free flip flops.
    Police handing out pink FLIP-FLOPS to women on nights out

They are more used to dealing with hardened criminals but police officers in a seaside town have a new enemy in their sights - sore feet!

And in an unusual move police are using free flip-flops in their arsenal to fight their unusual war on party-goers’ blisters and aching heels.

One grateful woman, who had been suffering in high heels, was on the receiving end of the new flip-flop initiative after a late night in Newcastle, Co Down, last weekend posted her thanks on the PSNI Down Facebook page.

She said how “getting a taxi was a nightmare, when an absolutely lovely police officer pulled up alongside and handed us all pink flip-flops.

“We couldn’t believe it. What a lovely thing to do.

“Saved us all sore feet and blisters.”

Police replied: “Lol this is something we do in partnership with Down PCSP (Policing and Community Partnership).”

They added: “I don’t know how you girlies manage to walk home in the freezing wind and rain! Ur (sic) like secret ninjas or something lol.”

The free flip flops are part of the Research Project, which is funded by Down PCSP and implemented by the Kairos Centre in Newcastle.

Inspector Mark Peters, of Newcastle Neighbourhood Policing Team, said: “Handing out things like flip-flops and hot drinks is a simple kind gesture but it is one that is appreciated by those who benefit.

“Policing with the community is at the very heart of every thing we do and we fully support this PCSP initiative.”

He added: “These strong relationships will ultimately help keep people safe, reduce the risk of crime in the Newcastle area and increase public confidence in local policing.”

The flip-flop hand outs are receiving mixed responses online with some people praising the PSNI while others commenting that it’s a waste of taxpayers’ money.
    What an absolute farce. You'd swear these women were suffering extreme poverty or something. That they couldn't afford decent footwear and were walking around with the soles worn away and these kind folk just had to come to their aid.

When the truth is they have more than likely spent a small fortune on the shoes they're carrying, which barely feet them, that are less comfortable to walk in than stilts, and all for God knows what reasons.. and they then get treated like they deserve rescuing??

They should all be forced to walk home so that they never risk clogging up emergency rooms from sustaining the injuries that regularly result from girls getting drunk and attempting to walk in absurdly high stilettos and wedges. Free flip flops is the last thing they should be getting. A free toe up the arse would be more apt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Ah, would ya feck off, they did a nice thing.

]
    They should all be forced to walk home so that they never risk clogging up emergency rooms from sustaining the injuries that regularly result from girls getting drunk and attempting to walk in absurdly high stilettos and wedges. Free flip flops is the last thing they should be getting. A free toe up the arse would be more apt.

And anyone who drinks too much and risks clogging up the emergency rooms should be what? What do they cost in increased police presence in city and town centres every weekend over the last decades? More or less than flip flops?

Free flip flops is annoyingly stupid, but if a woman can't walk and is drunk they might help her get home safely. Even stupid people deserve safety. If a person is so inebriated that they fall down drunk in the street, it costs a lot more to get them home safely or to ER or the cells for the night.

It's the cops job to keep us safe, even if that means from ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Good publicity for the cops.

Less claims for the council.

More happy feet on a Sunday morning.

What exactly is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Could ever see are corrupt Gards doing something like that?

Hootanany wrote: »
    Could ever see are corrupt Gards doing something like that?
    They do, but they keep it quiet because they know you would come running here complaining about the waste of resources, nothing better to do, taxpayers money, etc etc, if they publicised it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Why are police officers posting like school children?

Lol flip flops omg lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Less claims for the council.

Is there some reason that women in high heels can claim off the council on a saturday night instead of say sunday after mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

PSNI?

am I suppose to get outraged about how another state uses its taxes?

Is there some reason that women in high heels can claim off the council on a saturday night instead of say sunday after mass?
    They are much less likely to get their bare feet impaled on a Buckfast bottle outside mass. In most areas anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

FREE FLIP FLOPPPSSSSSS???! HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

They are much less likely to get their bare feet impaled on a Buckfast bottle outside mass. In most areas anyway.:)

So if i go up the north smash a bottle on the ground and get my girlfriend to trip on it can i claim successfully off the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

PSNI helping women to get home safely at night..by giving them free flip flops.

Fair play to them, it certainly beats the olden days and the oul plastic bullet.

Dunno what people are moaning about. It's community policing with a positive vibe to boot.

What would you rather 1) a police presence at chucking out time full of drunk people interacting negatively with the authorities? Or, 2) a police presence at chucking out time full of drunk people interacting positively with the authorities?

So if i go up the north smash a bottle on the ground and get my girlfriend to trip on it can i claim successfully off the council?
    You can claim, most certainly.

Succesfully is another matter entirely. :)

You can claim, most certainly.

Succesfully is another matter entirely. :)

Clever use of words now haven't you ;)

Staging an accident to make a claim is called attempted fraud.

You can try though, as BM says you won't automatically be successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

PSNI?

am I suppose to get outraged about how another state uses its taxes?

Well no doubt you'd be one of the first into a United Ireland thread complaining that the North would cost too much, so yeah you should have an interest I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Ah, would ya feck off, they did a nice thing.

They "did" a nice thing?

If this was some rare occurrence where some female Police lady person gave a woman a pair of flip flops that she just happened to have in her handbag, than I might be in agreement with you, but it's not something they just "did", it is in fact something they are proactively setting out with the intention of 'doing' and will no doubt continue to do.

And why? Because certain girls haven't got the cop on to wear shoes that fit them and that they will have a good chance of being able to walk in when drunk? Do me a favour. Society shouldn't be pandering to these fools. How are they supposed to learn from their idiocy if the cops just come along and give them free footwear every time they choose to waddle out of their house on stilts and proceed to get drunk.

Look, if they injury themselves, fine, call an ambulance but the Police should not be going around with bags of fcuking flip flops just in case their are any women about who might have wandered out of their houses wearing shoes that they can't walk in. You see these twits all the time, struggling along trying to hold each other up as they get out of taxis, and that's before they have a drink.

Spend the money on free chowder or pillows for the homeless and get the Police instead to spend their time marking these imbeciles with a stamp that prevents them getting taxis or public transport for the next 24 hours, so they then have no choice but to walk home carrying their fecking wedges. Maybe then, the next time they think of heading off into town with footwear that they can barely stand up in, they'll think twice about it.

And as a brucie bonus, we then mightn't have muppets like the following one making songs about the fcuking things like they're some kind of non-self-inflicted badge of bloody honour:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It's a cheap, easily transportable and (one would think) entirely inoffensive item that the Police can hand out as a way fostering positive relations with the wider community, something that's a rare enough opportunity and a high priority in a jurisdiction where policing is nearly always political. Of all the fcuking things I've seen people get pissed off at the PSNI over, seriously.

some female Police lady person

So..a police officer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

c_man wrote: »
    Well no doubt you'd be one of the first into a United Ireland thread complaining that the North would cost too much, so yeah you should have an interest I reckon.

Nah because i know thats never going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

And as a brucie bonus we then mightn't have muppets like the following one making songs about the fcuking things like they're some kind of non-self-inflicted badge of bloody honour:

The price is right - a couple of pairs of flip flops that cost feckall really to foster community relations. Jesus a simple good-will gesture.

Cheers for the video btw, wondered what happened to her :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Bit conflicted here. It is a nice gesture but in fairness women who wear those insanely high heels which are so painful and surely cause physical damage - why can't they prepare themselves and bring out their own flip-flops? It's not as if they don't know the pitfalls.
    Cringe at the PSNI getting down with the youngsters and using textspeak/Facebookisms. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Spend the money on free chowder or pillows for the homeless...........

Yes because money spent on chowder and pillows has been proven to solve homeless problems elsewhere in the world.

Would ya feck off OP. Your hissyfit against a positive policing inititave has backfired on you spectacularly.

Take the hit and concede defeat. Kneel before us now and beg our forgiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

It's community policing with a positive vibe to boot.

:cool: I see what you did there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Nah because i know thats never going to happen

A United Ireland thread? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

God I love being a priest man.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

This kind of thing is quite common in the UK particularly weekend nights, but it's usually done by street pastors than police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Makes a change from giving out free rubber bullets. Rubber shoes. Progress, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

On one hand its a good way to improve relations. On the other hand I find it hard to feel sorry for any of the stupid wenches that dont at least bring something more comfortable to walk in themselves.

Advertisement