Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commonwealth Road Race - contains spoilers

Options
  • 03-08-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Hell, why not? It's Sunday afternoon and there's nothing else on the box.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Very early move from Kennaugh, 45 seconds of a gap already. I think Cav mentioned in an interview that this move was preplanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Women's race was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

I'm just heading to Montrose St now... Huge crowds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Wish I was there; folks stay close to the course. The women's race was worth getting up for.

Wonder what Cavendish and Kennaugh's heated discussion was about.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Strange tactics from Kennaugh - he's certainly got the ability to win this. I suspect this is part of a wider plan by the IOM team - if he can stay away then that would be a fantastic performance, but he's diverting attention from one or to other excellent Manxmen that could cause a shock if they are still in it at the end (and to be clear the IOM were the most "tactical" of all teams on the track, getting a couple of riders disqualified in the points race when they were delivering Kennaugh to the silver)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Still early days for Kennaugh but with the high attrition rate and the dreadful weather if he can keep up the work there might not be enough left in the 'peleton' to make an organised chase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

That weather is vile.

There must be absolutely nothing to do in Glasgow. No way I'd be standing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

GetWithIt wrote: »
    That weather is vile.

There must be absolutely nothing to do in Glasgow. No way I'd be standing around.

Us Weegies are a tough lot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't follow cycling at all so I don't know but Kennaugh's tactics there seemed crazy. What was the thinking behind it? He's basically just killed himself for a few hours for nothing.
    Was there ever a chance he could hold on to that lead?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There was a remote possibilty he could stay away, particularly as the main group dwindled. However as I've already alluded to the IOM were very much riding as a team, and I suspect they were hoping Mark Christian could hold on a grab a medal if and when Kennaugh was caught (and Christian sacrificed himself for Kennaugh on the track). As it was Christian dropped out a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Is there a peloton left at all? They are only showing the same few riders in the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

With 25K to go, it looks as if there are 13 riders, left in the race.
    140 started.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

317010.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Jaysus did you ever see a slower front wheel change? Thomas could have made himself a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Great race, dreadful weather. I can hardly walk up Montrose Street never mind cycle as part of a race!

jimm wrote: »
    Jaysus did you ever see a slower front wheel change? Thomas could have made himself a cup of tea.
    Yep - you could probably have posted that 3 times in the time it took to change that wheel ....

I'm sure it was stage managed by the BBC to give the commentators something else to get excited over:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I watched most of the race live on a TV with no sound. Horrendous conditions. It was agonising watching Thomas' wheel change near the end. How did it end up that the team car wasn't there? Did he have a 38 second lead before the puncture, and still had a 20 second lead after it?

Advertisement