Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs & Babies

Options
  • 03-08-2014 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Due date looming 7 weeks to go, I'm a little concerned about our two little dogs, they've been with us for 4 years, they are very good around other kids (maybe a bit scared when they scream) they have a very good nature but are a little spoilt and very much lap dogs, I'm worried they will feel excluded when the day comes and I bring home our new arrival.

Any tips from people that may have gone through this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Before you come home from tho hospital get your oh to bring home a babygrow or vest that the baby has worn for the dogs to smell so they wink know the scent of the baby before it comes home,

Once you still show them attention they will be fine I was so worried about my dog on my 1st she was my baby until then, but she is great her and my eldest are best on friends now and there was no bother when our 2nd arrived 4weeks ago x

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Everything Betsie says. Our big lump is still our furry baby and very much included in all we do. A tip my vet gave me was when you get home, you go in first and give them attention. Then get your oh to bring in babe. Let them inspect, obviously not touch and just include them. Make sure they get loads of exercise too. It'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Agree with the other posters. When my first was born (21 years ago) I entered the house without the baby and with a Bonio in my pocket for the dog :D I made a big fuss of him and my husband brought in the baby and let him have a good look and sniff. We never had any problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My dog didn't get close to my son until he was almost 6 months. You won't hurt your dogs feeling by not letting them be close to your baby initially. A mother dog would never let another dog near her puppies initally so it would feel natural to your dog for you to do the same.
    Also make sure your dogs have a safe, quiet place to go where they won't be bothered, your house is going to be a bit crazy for awhile between visitors & a crying baby so they'll need somewhere to go when things get too much for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

pastry2010 wrote: »
    Due date looming 7 weeks to go, I'm a little concerned about our two little dogs, they've been with us for 4 years, they are very good around other kids (maybe a bit scared when they scream) they have a very good nature but are a little spoilt and very much lap dogs, I'm worried they will feel excluded when the day comes and I bring home our new arrival.

Any tips from people that may have gone through this?

Pastry congrats.
    I would say start as you mean to go on now! I implemented changes very early on in my pregnancy. I probably sound harsh but I wouldn't let them on your knee anymore as when baby arrives you will go mad if they jump up when you are holding baby etc. My other reason my baby is in the grabby stage (which can be quite sore!!) I would be afraid the baby hurt your little dogs if you were on the couch.

Put up your baby gates now etc.

The most important thing is that your dogs lives stay pretty much the same and they won't feel excluded. My dogs didn't bat an eyelid!

• Advertisement
Advertisement