Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Rate My Mock' - 2014

• 03-08-2014 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads.

Hopefully it's alright to create this thread.

It's my first year playing fantasy football this year for NFL and thought it would be a good idea to have one of these threads. Similar to the 'Rate My Team' thread on the soccer fantasy football forum, we could essentially have a 'Rate My Mock' thread here, whereby we can rate and critique each others mock drafts.

I'll be trying to get involved in as many mocks as possible over the next while in order to try to get a grip on how to play the game as I have very little clue as thing stand :pac: I just jumped into one on NFL.com there. I didn't bother with the bench as it's getting late, but from the starter players I came up with the below:

RD 1 (#7) - Eddie Lacy RB
    RD 2 (#18) - Julio Jones WR
    RD 3 (#31) - Zac Stacy RB
    RD 4 (#42) - Keenan Allen WR
    RD 5 (#55) - Cam Newton QB
    RD 6 (#66) - Maurice Jones-Drew RB
    RD 7 (#79) - Jordan Reed TE
    RD 8 (#90) - Bengals DEF
    RD 9 (#103) - Robbie Gould K

So go on then, tell me how bad the above is. :pac:

I fear one mistake (among a huge amount of other mistakes no doubt) I might have made was going for a QB so early. When I was having a scan of the other selections in the draft it seemed there was still lots available in round 6, so perhaps it would have been better taking a RB in round 5 and waiting until the 6th to take the QB. Same with the K's and DEF's I presume? I noticed loads of them available when the bench picking was ongoing (automated on my part) so perhaps better to take impact players such as RB's and WR's and take the K's and DEF's right at the end?

It's all a learning process I guess. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,180 ✭✭✭Guffy

Hey Pauly.. a small bit early for it tbh. But...

what were your other picks?
    How many teams in draft?

It is way too high for a d and a k. Every year teams will take a d like seatle with a couple rounds left but 9 an 10 r to early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Cam Newton is recovering from ankle surgery. The Panthers receiving corps is awful and their O line has gone from above average to not so good

Newton may have been a top 5 fantasy QB since he entered the league but I don't think he'll have a good year at all. 5th round seems high

Paully, you will be entering a 16 man legue here. If you are doing 10 man or 12 man mock drafts your team will be stronger and while it's practice try to do 16 man mock drafts

You can draft a kicker alright. With defence a lot of this is down to matchups and GM's often change their D week to week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Obviously too early to start really trying to determine draft order and the like until training camp is over but decided to start practicing my drafting a bit. Usually do my drafts over on http://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/mockdrafts but I can't see any 16 team mocks there this year. Could have sworn they had them last year. Anyway, done 1 12 team and one 14 team mock. Both 15 rounds. TBH I'm not sure about either of them. I almost think the team from the 14 teamer is better! As always. very happy with some picks and not happy with others. Surprised to find CJ2/K at the start of the fourth round in the 14 teamer. Happy I done them though, because if nothing else it reaffirmed for me to go RB early and often. In the 12 teamers 5th round, looking for a third RB and choosing between Ben Tate, Trent Richardson and Rashad Jennings! Any opinions/criticisms etc. are welcome!
    12 Team mock-picking at 4:
    1. AP
    2. Alfred Morris
    3. Antonio Brown
    4. Cordarelle Paterson
    5. Ben Tate
    6. Marques Colston
    7. Stevan Ridley
    8. Reggie Wayne
    9. Philip Rivers
    10. Ladarius Green
    11. Russell Wilson
    12. Steve Smith
    13. Knile Davis
    14. Cleveland D
    15. Matt Bryant
    14 Team mock-picking at 10
    1. Foster
    2. Gio Bernard
    3. Vincent Jackson
    4. CJ2K
    5. Torrey Smith
    6. Sammy Watkins
    7. Colin Kaepernick
    8. Darren McFadden
    9. Martellus Bennett
    10. Marvin Jones
    11. Eli Manning
    12. Odell Beckham
    13. Dwayne Allen
    14. Houston D
    15. Greg Zuerlein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

12-team mock snake draft. I picked seventh. I think I need to pay more attention to bye weeks, because there is some overlapping, and I probably have one wide receiver too many. Any and all feedback appreciated.

Peyton Manning
    Zac Stacy
    Montee Ball
    DeSean Jackson
    Trent Richardson
    Julian Edelman
    Eric Decker
    Terrance Williams
    Riley Cooper
    Jordan Reed
    James Jones
    CJ Anderson
    Jordan Todman
    Benny Cunningham
    Saints D
    Shayne Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 21 alsully

Few points to make-
    -Who the hell does a 16 team fantasy league?? Terrible idea. You should split your league into a 10 team elite league. Nd then get 2 extra players nd have an 8 team league with relegation each year.
    -its never to early to do mock drafts gives you an idea of where players are going so you can do your research around that and compare players like for like. No point compating pmoney with sam bradford or AP and ben tate. Wen you have your players research put them into tiers nd then you will see from mocks how accurate your tiers and research has been. Its a sin to reach for players too early in drafts.
    -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 alsully

Paully D wrote: »
    Hi lads.

Hopefully it's alright to create this thread.

It's my first year playing fantasy football this year for NFL and thought it would be a good idea to have one of these threads. Similar to the 'Rate My Team' thread on the soccer fantasy football forum, we could essentially have a 'Rate My Mock' thread here, whereby we can rate and critique each others mock drafts.

I'll be trying to get involved in as many mocks as possible over the next while in order to try to get a grip on how to play the game as I have very little clue as thing stand :pac: I just jumped into one on NFL.com there. I didn't bother with the bench as it's getting late, but from the starter players I came up with the below:

RD 1 (#7) - Eddie Lacy RB
    RD 2 (#18) - Julio Jones WR
    RD 3 (#31) - Zac Stacy RB
    RD 4 (#42) - Keenan Allen WR
    RD 5 (#55) - Cam Newton QB
    RD 6 (#66) - Maurice Jones-Drew RB
    RD 7 (#79) - Jordan Reed TE
    RD 8 (#90) - Bengals DEF
    RD 9 (#103) - Robbie Gould K

So go on then, tell me how bad the above is. :pac:

I fear one mistake (among a huge amount of other mistakes no doubt) I might have made was going for a QB so early. When I was having a scan of the other selections in the draft it seemed there was still lots available in round 6, so perhaps it would have been better taking a RB in round 5 and waiting until the 6th to take the QB. Same with the K's and DEF's I presume? I noticed loads of them available when the bench picking was ongoing (automated on my part) so perhaps better to take impact players such as RB's and WR's and take the K's and DEF's right at the end?

It's all a learning process I guess. :)

Im guessing this is an 8 team league. Solid draft. I would have waited bit longer on a qb in 8 man league. Any of the qb rated 5-12 are solid you could have picked up two in late rounds and played matchups each week. So I f keenan only went 42 im guessing some1 like vjax was around. So you could have went allen vjax foles/brady/rg3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

My first mock of the year.

Drafting 3rd in a 14 man draft.

Adrian Peterson
    Doug Martin
    Victor Cruz
    Vernon Davis
    Torrey Smith
    Marques Colston
    Colin Kap
    LeGar Blount
    Hackeem Nicks
    Chris Ivory
    James Jones
    Alex Smith
    Stephen Gotskowski
    Green Bay Packer D
    Coby Fleener

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

My first mock of the year.

Drafting 3rd in a 14 man draft.

Adrian Peterson
    Doug Martin
    Victor Cruz
    Vernon Davis
    Torrey Smith
    Marques Colston
    Colin Kap
    LeGar Blount
    Hackeem Nicks
    Chris Ivory
    James Jones
    Alex Smith
    Stephen Gotskowski
    Green Bay Packer D
    Coby Fleener

Aside from the Doug Martin pick (not a fan) that is a smashing draft

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

First mock of the year, 12 team league, picking 11th:

In order they were drafted:

1. Zac Stacy RB
    2. A.J. Green WR
    3. Rob Gronkowski TE
    4. Pierre Garcon WR
    5. Cordarrelle Patterson WR
    6. Chris Johnson RB
    7. Maurice Jones-Drew RB
    8. Fred Jackson RB
    9. Tony Romo QB
    10. Philip Rivers QB
    11. Carlos Hyde RB
    12. Jarrett Boykin WR
    13. Markus Wheaton WR
    14. Lance Dunbar RB
    15. Buccaneers D/ST D/ST
    16. Nick Folk K

Could have gone Montee Ball, Arian Foster or DeMarco Murray with that first pick. I like Stacy though. I reckon I'd be happy enough with that team.

adrian522 wrote: »
    First mock of the year, 12 team league, picking 11th:

In order they were drafted:

1. Zac Stacy RB
    2. A.J. Green WR
    3. Rob Gronkowski TE
    4. Pierre Garcon WR
    5. Cordarrelle Patterson WR
    6. Chris Johnson RB
    7. Maurice Jones-Drew RB
    8. Fred Jackson RB
    9. Tony Romo QB
    10. Philip Rivers QB
    11. Carlos Hyde RB
    12. Jarrett Boykin WR
    13. Markus Wheaton WR
    14. Lance Dunbar RB
    15. Buccaneers D/ST D/ST
    16. Nick Folk K

Could have gone Montee Ball, Arian Foster or DeMarco Murray with that first pick. I like Stacy though. I reckon I'd be happy enough with that team.

Were Brees & Rodgers gone at 11?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No, both were still there, they went 20 and 22. So I passed on them twice.

This was the first round

Round: 1
    (1) Team 1 - LeSean McCoy RB
    (2) Team Smith - Adrian Peterson RB
    (3) Team Taylor - Jamaal Charles RB
    (4) Team C - Eddie Lacy RB
    (5) Team 5 - Marshawn Lynch RB
    (6) Team Blackman - Matt Forte RB
    (7) Team Digrazia - Calvin Johnson WR
    (8) Team Levine - Jimmy Graham TE
    (9) Team Trombetta - Peyton Manning QB
    (10) Team Nguyen - Demaryius Thomas WR
    ** (11) Team adrian522- Zac Stacy RB
    (12) Team Curry - DeMarco Murray RB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Just did my first proper draft of the year for an NFL managed league. I'd be pretty happy if it went like this for a boards league.

NqVQLQ.png

Thoughts? I have Justin Tucker as my kicker and the Seahawks as my D. Obviously a glaring mistake is the lack of a backup QB but I'm considering going without one this year and just picking up someone for the bye week.

Just did my first proper draft of the year for an NFL managed league. I'd be pretty happy if it went like this for a boards league.

NqVQLQ.png

Thoughts? I have Justin Tucker as my kicker and the Seahawks as my D. Obviously a glaring mistake is the lack of a backup QB but I'm considering going without one this year and just picking up someone for the bye week.

If I picked one of the top 3 qb's I wouldn't carry a backup. I wouldn't carry hilton and wayne together but if one gets injured the other is a must have. I like wright a lot this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think I'm starting to get a bit better at this now anyway after practicing over the last few weeks. Here's my latest, 16 man mock:

60a0eda2e397f82eee9004bdfafde951.png

ce4ac50dcf0e11e7915dca91b7c391b3.png

What do you lads think of the above?

I've started to realise the value of players and positions a bit more now. Obviously still a lot of work for me to do to improve between now, (I'm not at all happy with the RB's) and draft night but it's a lot better than my OP :pac:

I probably should have taken Ball who was available at #12 instead of Bryant.

I think I'm starting to get a bit better at this now anyway after practicing over the last few weeks. Here's my latest, 16 man mock:

I've started to realise the value of players and positions a bit more now. Obviously still a lot of work for me to do to improve between now, (I'm not at all happy with the RB's) and draft night but it's a lot better than my OP :pac:

Not mad about your QB situation and taking TRich in the 6th but aside from that it's solid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

3 of your 4 RB's have the same bye-week (week 10). Might not be an issue if you are a wheeler-dealer through-out the season but might be something to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

DBIreland wrote: »
    3 of your 4 RB's have the same bye-week (week 10). Might not be an issue if you are a wheeler-dealer through-out the season but might be something to consider.

I hadn't even considered that to be honest. I definitely need to start paying attention to that. Cheers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

From a titans perspective I expect wright to get more yards but hunter to get more TDs, wright played 16 games and had 2 TDs, hunter Didn't get many snaps before week 6 iirc but due to his size and jumping is big target in the redbone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Hi guys, Any thoughts on this. Feel free to pick holes :)

16 team mock draft picking at No. 4.

Your Team

Draft_Team_Pick4.png

Draft_Order.png

Overall very happy with the balance.
    Went a bit early at Quarterback but like Matt Ryan.
    Don't have great depth at Running back. (A Shady/Any Top 4 Back injury would pretty much screw me there).
    Would have liked to get Palmer as a backup QB but he went 10 picks before Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

60a0eda2e397f82eee9004bdfafde951.png

ce4ac50dcf0e11e7915dca91b7c391b3.png

Bar the two quarterbacks (although they have nice rotating schedule) - it is a very solid team.
    You might have to take a QB slightly earlier in a 16 team draft (say round 7 or 8) to get someone like Cutler/Romo and then pick up one of Tannehill/Palmer/Manning as backup later.

Ball at 12 would have improved it as you could have got Jeffery or another stud receiver on the turn in Round 2 instead of Bryant. There's more elite depth at WR than RB.

Both TE's have huge upside and Tampa are a great pick for a bottom of the last round defense.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, Any thoughts on this. Feel free to pick holes :)

Overall very happy with the balance.
    Went a bit early at Quarterback but like Matt Ryan.
    Don't have great depth at Running back. (A Shady/Any Top 4 Back injury would pretty much screw me there).
    Would have liked to get Palmer as a backup QB but he went 10 picks before Smith.

Would have rather taken a receiver instead of Gerhart & then gotten maybe Jennings or MJD instead of Colston. Freeman is a nice pick up as I think by mid season he will have a nice workload. Very solid at TE as well, Olson will gave a great year as Cam really has no one else to throw to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Playing in an 8-team league this year and I suspect it won't be any fun, considering how strong everyone's roster is going to be:

320011.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I'm second pick in a 12 team league... I went the convential RB for first pick in a couple of mock drafts and noticed by the time I got to my second pick WRs were few and far between. Of those who you'd list certain starters that were left they all seem to be on a bye in week 9!

Anyway, I changed it up and went with Calvin Johnson first pick this time to see what way it would fall and i'm not sure it worked out a whole pile better - i just seem to get Jonson in over maybe one of the Top 5 RB's- Is it a decent trade off if I still land with Morris and Gerhart as RBs? -

team-

Tom Brady
    Alfred Morris
    Toby Gerhart
    Calvin Johnson
    Keenan Allen
    M Crabtree
    Jordan Reed
    (Flex)J Edleman
    Crosby
    Browns

Bench-
    Philip Rivers
    M. Colston
    Vernon Davis
    Ryan Matthews
    Boldin
    Roy Helu

First league I care about also my first draft this year (woefully unprepared)
    7th pick

1. Montee Ball, rb Den
    2. Alshon Jeffery, wr Chi
    3. Frank Gore, rb SF
    4. Michael Floyd, wr Ari
    5. Brandon Cookes, wr NO
    6. Matt Ryan, QB ATL
    7. Martellus Bennett, TE Chi
    8. Terrance West, Rb Cle
    9. Carlos Hyde, RB SF
    10. Markus Wheaton, Wr Pit
    11. Jordan Matthews, Wr Phi
    12. Christine Michaels, rb Sea (messed up here, meant to draft Cunningham from stl)
    13. Texans DST
    14. Matt Bryant K ATL
    15. Kenbrell Thompkins Wr NE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Where can you do 16 team mocks? Not available on NFL. Com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Where can you do 16 team mocks? Not available on NFL. Com

Someone on here showed me this link, http://draftwizard.fantasypros.com/, you are drafting against the computer all the time and not real other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Last Pick of an 8 team league. First time picking a team

Tony Romo Dal QB
    Steven Jackson Atl, RB
    Giovani Bernard Cin RB
    T.Y. Hilton, Ind WR
    Calvin Johnson, Det WR
    Percy Harvin, Sea WR
    Jimmy Graham, NO TE
    Texans D/ST D/ST
    Phil Dawson, SF K
    C.J. Spiller, Buf RB
    Andrew LucK, Ind QB
    Bishop Sankey, Ten RB
    Cecil Shorts, Jac WR
    Brian Quick, StL WR
    Maurice Jones-Drew, Oak RB
    Bengals D/ST D/ST

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Drafted from 14th, happy enough overall, any opinions? I'll pick up a kicker and defence based on each gameweek.

QB - Kaepernick
    RB - Gio Bernard
    RB - Toby Gerhart
    WR - Brandon Marshall
    WR - Emmanuel Sanders
    WR - Golden Tate
    TE - Delanie Walker

BN - Carson Palmer
    BN - Steve Smith
    BN - Jonathan Grimes (Texans RB)
    BN - Davante Adams (Packers WR)
    BN - Harry Douglas