Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cassette 10sp to 9 sp?

Options
  • 02-08-2014 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

hi guys,Im looking for some info on a cassette change,im trying to change a 10 speed cassette for a 9 speed.the freehub has some damage from the outer few rings gouging the edge of the freehub,i have filed the damaged bits but the 9 speed cassette only goes in about half ways,are the freehubs on the 9 and 10 speed different.I got a pair of p-sl0 wheels and want to put the on to a defy 3 running sora,I dont want to change the front triple chainset and am stuck at the moment,will drop in in to the lbs if i have to but was hoping to get a cycle or two in at the weekend and was hoping to try out the new wheels,cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Does the 10spd cassette still go on? There is no difference in the fitment between 9 and 10spd (or 11 spd for that matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

hi,yes the 10 speed goes on fine,10 speed will slip on to both of the freehubs and the 9 speed will go back on the 9 speed freehub only,there might still be some of the alloy that was damaged sticking up some where,will get a file tomorrow,i actually sanded the raised damaged bits on the freehub as I cant find any of my files atm,will try again tomorrow,the 9 speed cassette does seem very tight compared to the 10 speed though,thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It should fit fine all you need is the washer ring that goes behind the cassette as you're removing a cog.

You'll need to adjust/change your shifters as well I think not sure though.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It should fit fine all you need is the washer ring that goes behind the cassette as you're removing a cog.

You'll need to adjust/change your shifters as well I think not sure though.
    cheers,I will give it a bash in the morning,yes I have the ring,it was behind the cassette when I took it off,Id say the shifting should be fine???? regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

minterno wrote: »
    cheers,I will give it a bash in the morning,yes I have the ring,it was behind the cassette when I took it off,Id say the shifting should be fine???? regards

If you are using indexed shifters then the shifting will be off as the pull ratio for 9 and 10 speed is different.

• Advertisement

hi guys,went out and bought a small file and removed any remaing burr that was left on the freehub,the cassette is slipping on freely now.just to clarifiy something,the giant p-sl0 wheel had a washer behind the 10 speed cassette,do I leave the washer on the freehub and fit the 9 speed cassette or do I fit the 9 speed without the washer,cheers

Advertisement