Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDF helmet cover

Options
  • 02-08-2014 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭

Anybody here know what the big floppy cover the IDF have on their helmets is for. Camo, NBC :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

You got it first try.....

It's a Big floppy cover.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitznefet_%28Israeli_military%29

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

1. sun protection.

2. breaks up the outline.

3. sand-fly netting.

4. a kippah doesn't stop shell-fragments.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

they had it now a while. Looks very Jewish doesn't it.

Not particularly, unless of course you are the Vodzher Rebbe.

tac, Jewish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

It's not exactly cool looking and while I can see the sense of it in a countryside environment but would have thought it would make you stand out in an urban battlefield.

But they obviously tested it.

• Advertisement

What has 'cool looking' got to do with military expediency? Do you think this is a game?

tac

Lighten up Tac, whatever about it's tactical efficacy it does look a bit odd.

I wonder what the troops themselves think of it.

Like most things worn or carried by the military of any nation, what the user/wearer thinks of it is immaterial.

The initial question is - Does it work in combat?

Answer - Yes, it does.

Verdict - Good.

The Mitznefet is a covering for the infantry helmet used by the Israeli Defense Forces as of 1994. It is considerably larger than the helmet, giving the impression of a militarised chef's hat. The purpose of the floppy helmet cover is to break up the distinctive outline of a helmeted head and thus assist in the camouflage of the wearer. It was originally adapted in the 1990s for guerrilla warfare in the wood and bush land of south Lebanon, later adding a two sided camo, one for desert and one for woodland terrain. The Mitznefet is easily removable, and can be attached to the helmet while folded.

The term comes from the mitznefet, or turban, worn by the high priest in the Temple of Jerusalem, originating in a Hebrew language root meaning "to wrap".

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Like most things worn or carried by the military of any nation, what the user/wearer thinks of it is immaterial.
    I think every soldier would recognise that! Yet many is the soldier who customises his kit.

No soldier with any brains, or who wishes to retain them, would alter his head protection. Boots? Yup. ALICE? Yup. Camel? Sure.

Helmet?

I don't think so.

Have you ever served in the military, BTW?

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tac I'm almost positive I seen it worn in Lebanon in 1988, and have always thought of it as a great design since.. Fails me why no other army adopted it, it really does break up not only the helmets outline but the soldiers upper torso.

Makikomi - my cousin, who was a gunner lieutenant in Lebanon at that time, used to wear one that he'd lashed up out of a piece of scrim and and mozzie net, as well as back in the 1982 incursion.

We used to take the almighty p**s out of him, as you can imagine - what with having red hair, like me, and a beard - not like me - he looked like Captain Hook in drag.

tac

No soldier with any brains, or who wishes to retain them, would alter his head protection. Boots? Yup. ALICE? Yup. Camel? Sure.

Helmet?

I don't think so.

Have you ever served in the military, BTW?

tac
    I didn't know it was a requirement to comment here but yes if you can call the FCA military! Seven years and I retain a serious interest in military affairs. I know all about breaking up the outline of a helmet.

Listen Tac, lose the serious face. I'm not sixteen years old it was just a throwaway comment.:confused:

Besides don't tell me soldiers don't want to look cool occasionally, especially when no one is shooting at them. Looking good in uniform was always part of the military experience.
    We used to take the almighty p**s out of him, as you can imagine - what with having red hair, like me, and a beard - not like me - he looked like Captain Hook in drag
    That's the kind of thing I mean.

Reserve or full-time, you served - that's good enough for me.

Whatever looking cool mght mean in certain armies - reflective shades and all that stuff - the Israeli Army doesn't do it.

'Looking cool' in the British Army used to mean growing a big moustache and wearing a bandanna - in the climate where such a thing was appropriate to keep the sweat out of your eyes whilst sniping or observing for a sniper. Until the Sergeant-Major saw you....

'sides, there's nobody to impress out there.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

folbotcar wrote: »

Besides don't tell me soldiers don't want to look cool occasionally, especially when no one is shooting at them. Looking good in uniform was always part of the military experience.

That's the kind of thing I mean.

Oddly in the last few years I've noticed an odd trend of cynicism creeping in to the Irish army with regards to "looking cool". You'll always get the Gucci bastards with their non-issue gear (I confess to being one of them), but there is a very Irish begrudgery style attitude to "look at yer man with his Gucci holster/blood type/glasses". Unless it's issued your a poser.

Unfortunately as other posters have mentioned, looking cool does not take priority over protection / effectiveness in terms of military procurement. The Israelis have some of the dodgiest looking kit but it also some of the most fit for purpose and battle tested stuff out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Oddly in the last few years I've noticed an odd trend of cynicism creeping in to the Irish army with regards to "looking cool". You'll always get the Gucci bastards with their non-issue gear (I confess to being one of them), but there is a very Irish begrudgery style attitude to "look at yer man with his Gucci holster/blood type/glasses". Unless it's issued your a poser.

Unfortunately as other posters have mentioned, looking cool does not take priority over protection / effectiveness in terms of military procurement. The Israelis have some of the dodgiest looking kit but it also some of the most fit for purpose and battle tested stuff out there.

The thing I notice is you'll get abuse for buying kit(unless it's boots/snugpack) because people can't understand why you would spend your money on work. You'll get called all sorts, from being mad into it or a believer.

To be fair though, I've never had a piece of issued kit and gone, this is so bad I need to buy better, except for boots. I mean some issued kit isn't great but you'll put up with it for the week your on the ground with it.

Wait till ya see all the kit monkeys going crazy over the thought of the rails on the steyr now! :P

To be fair though, I've never had a piece of issued kit and gone, this is so bad I need to buy better,
    /QUOTE]

Head torch, gloves, hexi cooker and warm top :p I've been forced to use them before in training and my god "it was so bad I need to buy better".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

polish infantry use them also.
    14369294373_dc1129279a_o.jpg

To be fair though, I've never had a piece of issued kit and gone, this is so bad I need to buy better,
    /QUOTE]

Head torch, gloves, hexi cooker and warm top :p I've been forced to use them before in training and my god "it was so bad I need to buy better".

Ah yea, needed to buy a head torch, that righ angle torch is awful, a weighs about the same as a gpmg!

We had to use the hexi, so you can imagine a lot of cold meals I had in the Glen. :(

Ah yea, needed to buy a head torch, that righ angle torch is awful, a weighs about the same as a gpmg!

We had to use the hexi, so you can imagine a lot of cold meals I had in the Glen. :(

I thought that you had self-heating fodd these days. :confused:

tac

• Advertisement

tac

That the chemical stuff activated with water Tac?

I've seen it about but seems to have been people who bought it themselves. Usually everyone uses gas. Of course recruit training gas is too handy. Trying to light a hexi in -5 with driving snow gets rather old quick!

tac

The chemical heaters are gone now tac. They were included in the rat packs about 5 years ago (?). There are still some loose ones that are knocking around that people scavenged. Great bit of kit. You can get them cheap enough on ebay.

Advertisement