Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opps, i managed to do this to my rear derailluer...advice.

Options
  • 02-08-2014 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

so, out for a cycle yesterday, and i managed to do this to the rear derailleur...... im not even sure how it happen... but its very obviously in the wrong position.

any one any idea of price for getting this repaired, will it need a new derailleur...

hope to get to halfords in a few days to get it checked out.
    any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

so, out for a cycle yesterday, and i managed to do this to the rear derailleur...... im not even sure how it happen... but its very obviously in the wrong position.

any one any idea of price for getting this repaired, will it need a new derailleur...

hope to get to halfords in a few days to get it checked out.
    any advice appreciated.

Advice would be to find a proper bike mechanic. Beyond that, the chain is out of the top jockey wheel. Open it out and take another pic maybe. Might be as simple as replacing the plastic jockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I don't think this needs a bike mechanic, I think it needs a mathematician. This doesn't look to be topologically possible, at least not without taking the chain off.

Try taking your chain off and re-thread it onto the jockey wheels. You will know quick enough then whether the derailleur needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Hard to see everything in the pic shown, but it could just be tangled, rather than be damaged.

LBS should be able to suss it out on the spot, and might sort it there and then if it's just tangled (and if they're not too busy), or you can leave it in if it needs more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Did you take off and refit the wheel? It looks like you have the lower part of the chain on top of the cassette. Try taking the wheel off and then refitting, making sure to put the lower part of the chain below the cassette.

Also, maybe post a pic of the whole chain/chainrings/wheel area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I had to pull up a pic of a rear DR just to wrap my head around your pic. I'm assuming that was taken after an attempt to fix it?

It should look like the pic here...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Shimano_xt_rear_derailleur.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It might possibly just need to have the chain properly fed through the jockey wheels (as in unknown soldier's pic). Very hard to tell just by looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

whatever you do,Do NOT go to halfords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Looks like the top jockey wheel is completely missing, and I agree with the above, don't take it to halfords, find your nearest LBS (that doesn't sell lawnmowers) and take it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

hi all,
    thanks for the input.
    so far i have done nothing with it, except for taking the chain off the front cog.

what happened, i'm not really sure, i was out for a cycle, heading up a slight hill, i didn't hear anything snap or break, but had to stop fairly quickly as the rear derailleur ended up in the rear wheel spokes.

spent 20 mins at the side of the road, trying to figure it out.... i've uploaded more pictures for your viewing pleasure. ;)

ill take the rear wheel off later, and see if i can figure it out. but i think it needs professional help.... are halfords that bad? i dropped it in to a bike shop in roscommon before to tune the gears and he didn't do it correctly, so i went to halfords and they did it fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

When did you last clean and lube your chain/derailleurs? They are so jammed up with crap that I'm not a bit surprised that the derailleur seized solid! A new derailleur is required I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Derailleur looks ok (although to be sure, I'd need a look from directly behind, to see if everything is still lined up).

The chain has turned over and is now on the wrong side of various parts of the derailleur, but your LBS should be able to untangle it.

As mentioned, the chain is very dirty, and is probably worn as a result, so if some links are bent (plates twisted), ask the LBS to straighten them with two pliers, rather than changing it, as you'll likely need a new freewheel if you get a new chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Not to laugh, but that looks hilarious. I'm not sure how that was even possible, the chain would've had to pop under the deraileur cage to end up there I think? Your chain could be very loose because of wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It looks like the chain hanging over the deraileur has burst through the guide for the bottom jockey wheel.

So the chain needs to go back in there and twist it around as you pull the arm down.

From the looks of it though a new chain and good scrub wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

CSI gaffmaster: Were you travelling in your smallest front ring and smallest rear cog at the time of the incident? This would create the most possible slack in the bottom end of the chain. When you braked suddenly, this might have caused the bottom of the normally functioning derailer to continue forward with momentum in the direction you were travelling. If you went over a pothole or something at the same time, this could cause the slackened chain to jump down, out of the bottom jockey wheel, leaving the DR free and tensionless. The spring of the DR then whipped the free chain back over the whole assembly and into the predicament you find yourself in now.

Advertisement