Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

from Xp to Unix

Options
  • 02-08-2014 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭

So, like everyone else, I need to move from Xp and I am keen to go to Unix. My PC has an AMD 3400 and 2GB memory and that seems too small for Win 7 or 8.

The PC is connected to my broadband modem and to my printer ( visa USB). Using my Laptop, windows 7, I can print on this printer over the WIFI network. Naturally i am keen to retain this even if the PC in running Unix. Is this possible using any of the free versions of Unix?

I will back up everything I need and make a clean install if that is possible.

Needless to say, i know nothing about Unix so a simple install would be preferable.

Any advice much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I think you mean Linux
    Try starting out with Limux Lite. Easy to install and very light pn an older processor
    2 GB ram will be moee than enough and it will be very fast and responsve.
    Don't fprget to back up your personal data first ansdthen just let Linux Lite take the whole hard drive
    Make sure to get the right version most likely thw 32bit version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I think your main stumbling point may be the printer. I'd do some research on linux support for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Something like Lubuntu is light on system resources and is quite similar to XP in terms of having a start menu, so I would probably advise you to try that.

http://www.lubuntu.net

What make and model of printer do you have? Getting printers working properly on Linux can be a bit challenging but shouldnt be too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Them specs are fine for light browsing and email via Windows 7. If you are thinking Linux try mint with a lightweight desktop environment. Had a good one for mint not to long ago forget the name I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.

Edit: LXDE I think it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

stevek93 wrote: »
    Them specs are fine for light browsing and email via Windows 7. If you are thinking Linux try mint with a lightweight desktop environment. Had a good one for mint not to long ago forget the name I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.

Edit: LXDE I think it was called.

Mint with XFCE is lovely alright but it would run a little heavier on resources than Lubuntu. I prefer Lubuntu anyway because I dont like distros that come bundled with a load of stuff I will never use. I prefer minimal distros, I then install the stuff I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Mint with XFCE is lovely alright but it would run a little heavier on resources than Lubuntu. I prefer Lubuntu anyway because I dont like distros that come bundled with a load of stuff I will never use. I prefer minimal distros, I then install the stuff I want.

I was getting confused with Ubuntu, though if I was the OP I stick on a copy of Windows 7 his specs are fine for normal browsing/usage much higher than todays average notebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Thanks for all the replies.
    The printer is a HP Photosmart C5280.
    I will check out all options , including Win 7 again, and then decide.

Is the computer considered a bit under powered for Ubuntu etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

rock22 wrote: »

While I can't say for certain that it will work, I would be very surprised if your printer wasn't supported.

And as for being underpowered, absolutely not. I run Ubuntu on an ancient IBM laptop with 512Mb of RAM. I would recommend Lubuntu - it is a lightweight Linux distribution that will run fine on your machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I have HP Photosmart C5180 - just works.
    According to [1], yours works "perfectly"

[1] http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-PhotoSmart_C5200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The interface on top of ubuntu is called unity, and it is a little bit on the heavier side of linux interfaces. It just has a bit more visuals, like window fading and transitions, and so it requires a little bit more power to render these. You could certainly try ubuntu and decide it's responsive enough.

Xubuntu and Lubuntu are ubuntu versions with a different interface on top, xfce and lxde respectively and have less visual tricks and require less effort to render than unity. The unity interface is also a bit controversial due to the advertising it does, and I suspect that either xfce or lxde might feel a bit more natural to somebody coming from XP as they have more in common than unity which is quite different.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

stevek93 wrote: »
    I was getting confused with Ubuntu, though if I was the OP I stick on a copy of Windows 7 his specs are fine for normal browsing/usage much higher than todays average notebook.
    There is the slight problem of buying a windows 7 license.

I still can't stand unity as an interface. But that's the nice thing about ubuntu and most linux distros, you can install multiple interfaces and choose the one you like best.

If you are only browsing then you might as well use the lightest ones like lubuntu / xubuntu

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have a cheap HP printer set up to print over wifi.
    It did require connecting it first via USB and then using the graphical HP set up to enable the wireless.

I notice that most/all the replies here seem to concentrate on Ubuntu and its derivatives ....... I suggest you invest some time in downloading a few ISOs and burning them to CD/DVD or USB stick to try out 'live' before making any changes to your PC.

You should get some idea what you are facing from that exercise, and also most likely have a preference for a desktop environment ....... KDE, Xfce, LXDE, Mate, Gnome3 etc etc.

Please do some research of your own ..... the reason there are so many different distros available is that people have different preferences and like things to be set up for them from the beginning.

Advertisement