Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which are the largest cycling events?

Options
  • 01-08-2014 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

Could someone tell me the largest few cycling events in Ireland (measured by number of participants) that are open to the average rider?

I enjoyed the Ring of Kerry Cycle recently, which I presume is the largest event, and am looking for some other similar events to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

these would be the largest I think:
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/IrishCycling/An_Post_Cycle_Series/

....but there are plenty of events that personally I would enjoy far more, such as the Tour de Kilkenny (on tomorrow), the Orwell Randonnee, Leinster Loop, Tour of Kildare, Mt Leinster Challenge to name but a few. All of those would have large turnouts and are run by cycling clubs - nowhere near as many taking part as you would see in the An Post series though (e.g. An Post Meath tour last weekend had about 4000 taking part over the 3 distances).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Cheers andy69.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

Ring of Kerry is really only a fun event. The Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford is the biggest of the serious sportives. The others mentioned are top class too. Another good one for serious cyclists is the Mick Byrne Ranonnee (200k with 3500M climbing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Think the Wicklow 200 is probably the biggest after ring of kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Oh and the Leinster Loop which gets a big turnout usually (that's on this month), and the Nico Roche classic in Tayto park in October as well...both fairly big.

Forgot also about the Skoda series but I haven't done one yet myself....I hear they are quite good and have a nice turnout also.

hth ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

OP, i am curious why the interest in the larger cycling events

For me I prefer the smaller events, the roads are less crowded, the food stops arent like feeding time in the zoo and is good to support the grass roots cycling clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

bazermc wrote: »

For me I prefer the smaller events, the roads are less crowded, the food stops arent like feeding time in the zoo and is good to support the grass roots cycling clubs

Sounds like you would enjoy the evil 200.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I'd be with you on that. How many other riders do you need on the road with you ? Any club sportives I've done have been very well organised, had good variety and plenty of food at food stops, cost far less than the bigger events, allow entry on the day and out of smaller numbers and lower fees often manage to donate to a charity.

These are the events cyclists should be trying to support. With many of the bigger events they keep pushing the prices as they know they will fill out and the quality often goes the other way.

I guess the reasons are similar to going to a big concert or festival or even a match in a stadium. It's nice to enjoy things with many other people even if it means getting knocked into, trodden on etc. There's an atmosphere generated by thousands of people enjoying the same thing that can't be reproduced by a smaller crowd.

I'm not saying bigger is better, it's just different.

Apart from the atmosphere, part of the reason people may gravitate to a large event is that they feel they will safely find riders of their own ability. If I enter a small event without knowing anything else about it I'd fear I'd be outclassed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah some of the smaller ones you might as well be out on your own for a cycle or with your regular group.

For me, sportives are about the big groups, the feeling that you own the road and the constant availability of people if you want to slow down or speed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

I guess the reasons are similar to going to a big concert or festival or even a match in a stadium. It's nice to enjoy things with many other people even if it means getting knocked into, trodden on etc. There's an atmosphere generated by thousands of people enjoying the same thing that can't be reproduced by a smaller crowd.

Eh, if you enjoy being 'knocked into and trodden on' while cycling, then maybe we all need to give you a wide berth. Are you actually serious? Do you have any experience of group cycling at all? If not, it might be useful to learn a bit about it, preferably in a cycling club, before you land yourself in a cycling peleton and behave like you are watching Metallica at Glastonbury or something similar...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

sheepfield wrote: »
    Eh, if you enjoy being 'knocked into and trodden on' while cycling, then maybe we all need to give you a wide berth. Are you actually serious? Do you have any experience of group cycling at all? If not, it might be useful to learn a bit about it, preferably in a cycling club, before you land yourself in a cycling peleton and behave like you are watching Metallica at Glastonbury or something similar...

Eh.. Slight over reaction there.

I'd imagine there was a pinch of salt thrown in with that.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Eh.. Slight over reaction there.

I'd imagine there was a pinch of salt thrown in with that.

Well seriously speaking, if we knew what the cycling equivalent of being bumped and trodden upon is, we could send the OP to the requisite events.

Sounds like you would enjoy the evil 200.....;)

Eh.................No! :rolleyes:

Like I said - feeding time at the Zoo!

sheepfield wrote: »
    Eh, if you enjoy being 'knocked into and trodden on' while cycling, then maybe we all need to give you a wide berth. Are you actually serious?

I was describing some of the negative aspects of attending busy events that we are happy to put up with so we can enjoy the rest of the event. I wasn't referring to a cycling event in that description.

At a busy cycling event I'm happy to put up with crowded roads and busy feeding stations in return for that big event atmosphere, not being trodden on.

I was describing some of the negative aspects of attending busy events that we are happy to put up with so we can enjoy the rest of the event. I wasn't referring to a cycling event in that description.

At a busy cycling event I'm happy to put up with crowded roads and busy feeding stations in return for that big event atmosphere, not being trodden on.

Fair enough; point taken in the main.

I am intrigued however by this whole thread. What is it about "big" events? I can only assume from the very fact of asking the question, that much of this is new to you and you are tempted to get involved.

To me, the biggest cycling event in Ireland, bar none, is An Ras Tailteann. But that is not what you are referring to, nor what you may be seeking (though maybe some day.... :) )
    The biggest and longest established "sportive" in the proper sense is The Wicklow 200 (June); the biggest fun cycle/leisure event/gathering of bicycle-wielding individuals is undoubtedly The Ring of Kerry (July); the biggest Randonnee-type event would perhaps be the Orwell or Bray events (early summer) while the whole concept of Audax is the antithesis of "big" in everything except the milage involved. There is a multitude of commercial and club-based cycling events, loosely known as "sportives" that fill the calendar through the year, from the Ballymucker Gaels GAA club Charity cycle to the Skoda-sponsored series through the year. In the upcoming weeks, you have 3 events dedicated to 3 of our greatest ever cyclists: The Martin Earley Tour of Kildare, The Stephen Roche Leinster Loop and the Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford. None of these are "races" though you could be excused for thinking they are for the first 30km or so. The crowds there should be sufficiently big to allow you blend in I would hope.

There is also your reference to being "outclassed" at these events. I don't get what you mean. You are not racing, there are no medals (well maybe there are on some of them) and by definition, these events are leisurely, often charity-fundraiser days; I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried about being outclassed. Just go and do them and enjoy them for what they are. For me, a lot of them are overpriced and anecdotally lots of people don't bother paying and just ride the route anyway. Not that I am condoning that or anything....

If this is all new to you, my one and only piece of advice starting off is to take it carefully and basically don't lose the run of yourself in a fast-moving group of cyclists. It's good to learn the ropes of group cycling and the best place to do that is in a cycling club, or with similarly-minded experienced cyclists.

Thanks sheepfield, very helpful info.

My concern about being outclassed would that I'd turn up to an event only to find a team of athletes, built mainly from quadriceps, shoot into the distance in the first 1k never to be seen again :eek:
    I understand this is unfounded in the leisurely events you've mentioned :)

Thanks sheepfield, very helpful info.

My concern about being outclassed would that I'd turn up to an event only to find a team of athletes, built mainly from quadriceps, shoot into the distance in the first 1k never to be seen again :eek:
    I understand this is unfounded in the leisurely events you've mentioned :)

The best of luck, sure you will be grand! ☺

• Advertisement
Advertisement